Parents of trans* 1st-grader file discrimination complaint

Started by Rin Hato, March 14, 2013, 01:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

We can now do a little something to help Coy.  There's a petition at https://www.change.org/petitions/our-tr ... riminating
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SvZurich

I like coming across petitions that I have already signed.  :D

Bib, I hope that you can adjust if your wife does need to transition.  I know two military MTF/FTM couples, one where both are whole, and one where both are in transition but stymied as the MTF spouse is still active duty and limited in what she can do thanks to military bigotry and forced discharge if outed.

If you need to talk with anyone, I can put you in touch with them and make myself available.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Rin Hato

Quote from: "wolf39us"I just don't get the arguments put forth.  I can think I'm black all day long but the reality is that I'm white.  I can think I'm a squirrel all day long but the reality is that I'm human.

Thinking something that you're not does not change reality.  If you're brain is any bit logical, you can only conform to reality.  Oh my, I have a dick... By definition I'm a male!
Gender isn't defined by sex characteristics, it's defined by, well, how the person thinks, acts, identifies.

If you identify as a girl, and have a girl's body, you're a girl, right? So why not the same for someone who identifies as a girl, but has a guy's body? Is that person a "fake" girl, who's just pretending? Does how the person actually feels mean nothing? You're a guy or a girl, and that's it?

Gender is apart from sex, they're separate. He, she, her, him, they're pronouns tied to gender. "Girl in a guy's body," however cliched, is an accurate term.
Obieru kono te no naka niwa taorareta hana no yuuki.

Bibliofagus

Thank you Kimmie.

It probably won't be nessecary. She's not planning to change. It's complicated for her, she does want to have kids and be a mother for instance. And in more ways she has both genders.
She often dresses like a male, and I have no problems with that.
I love her.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

SvZurich

Love is what matter, Bib, and you are welcome.  My ear is available to you no matter what.  :)
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

StupidWiz

Quote from: "Bibliofagus"Thank you Kimmie.

It probably won't be nessecary. She's not planning to change. It's complicated for her, she does want to have kids and be a mother for instance. And in more ways she has both genders.
She often dresses like a male, and I have no problems with that.
I love her.
You're a good man, Biblio. :)
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

SvZurich

Quote from: "StupidWiz"You're a good man, Biblio. :)
Seconded.  :)

Rin Hato

Obieru kono te no naka niwa taorareta hana no yuuki.

Atheon

I'm all in favor of equality for transgendered people, and I realize that many transgendered people know from early childhood what sex they identify as. But there are sure to be plenty of kids who change their mind about their gender identity as they grow older.

1st grade is way too young to be certain. Kids are confused about a hell of a lot of things at that age. They go through phases.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SvZurich

Atheon, I disagree.  6 years old is old enough for most trans people to know for certain.  It's hardwired in.  I never saw boys insisting they were girls, or girls insisting they were boys when growing up.  Only trans children question that fact.

Colanth

Quote from: "Atheon"I'm all in favor of equality for transgendered people, and I realize that many transgendered people know from early childhood what sex they identify as. But there are sure to be plenty of kids who change their mind about their gender identity
Not being transgendered myself, I can't be sure, but I don't think it's a matter of making up one's mind.  A trans child probably knows his or her gender identity as well as a non-trans child.  Your apparent view of transgenderism sounds like the old "choose to be gay" argument.  Maybe I'm reading you wrong.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.