Article: All scientists should be militant atheists

Started by Mermaid, September 08, 2015, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: jonb on September 11, 2015, 03:00:32 PM
A university employs a nutter, nothing there I don't know of any workplace in the world that has not got a few oddities in the woodwork. Is he doing science proving creationism? I know the answer is NO, how do I know this? Because if there was any scientific paper that had evidence which proved creationism it would be so ground breaking that he would have the Nobel prise. As he has not got this, we know his work in science has no evidence for creationism, and that he fits one of these categories; he is not producing any research, his role within the university is not scientific in nature,  (ie he lectures or has an administrate role etc,) or the research he is doing has nothing to do whatever mad views he holds.
What you understand regarding science vs. crap is unsurprising, but can we focus on Joe and Jane Sixpack? Maybe the teachers and school administrators who don't specialize in what they teach, or plan to have children taught? I believe it's the problems in how these people are informed or misinformed for whom Krauss is concerned. Scientists need to be more vocal against the infiltration of asshats such as Behe, and they need to clarify their position publicly on Gould, otherwise 10 years from now there will still be nearly half the American population insisting that the earth was made in 6 days, and there's "science" to prove it! Yes, it's really that kind of crazy on this side of the pond!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

jonb

I don't want to be a foreigner that just knocks your country, yes I may joke at times, but that is just normal interaction, but I have to say this-

That is not a problem with science, it looks to me as though it is a problem with American culture.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: jonb on September 11, 2015, 03:50:00 PM
I don't want to be a foreigner that just knocks you country, yes I may joke at times, but that is just normal interaction, but I have to say this-

That is not a problem with science, it looks to me as though it is a problem with American culture.

Well of course there's a problem with our culture, and then we have the Discovery Institute which organizes armies of asshole writers such as Behe to confuse our people so that they don't know science from space-turtle droppings. If there is nothing like that on your side of the ocean, then maybe your scientists don't need to change any of their policies, but understand this: nothing exists in a vacuum, and American science needs to take stronger measures in order to combat the intellectual chaos in our culture.

On Krauss: he's American, and he speaks for the needs of American scientists in their struggle to save the idiots from those who would use them to destroy the whole world.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: jonb on September 11, 2015, 04:05:50 AM

CrucifyCindy
Have you heard of Linguistics?I know all these 'ologies' and stuff must be quite confusing for you.

Is it that shit Noam Chomsky drones on and on about? I might have heard of it.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

jonb

Look at the post above this

I think America has a lot more to do that just expecting a few scientists to challenge ignorance a bit more.