News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Christianity racist?

Started by redpaint417, August 20, 2015, 07:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I don't know if this story would be considered racist or not, but it is very suggestive:

QuoteAnd, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.
But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.
Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.
Mat 15:22-28
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Yes, Jesus came for the true Israelites (like Nathaniel aka Gift of G-d), not for the Gentiles.  Christians and Muslims need to get over this ;-)  Dogs and pigs are universally non-kosher to all Semites, Jews and Arabs alike.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 29, 2015, 07:43:54 PM
I don't know if this story would be considered racist or not, but it is very suggestive:

Mat 15:22-28

When I read that story, I get the feeling that Jesus was testing her faith to see how far it would go. Even in the face of ridicule, she pressed on unphased, which left Jesus impressed. It's kind of like when Jesus asked the woman at the well about her husband, and she said she didn't have any. He was baiting her for a response.

Yes, it was offensive to refer to someone like swine, but it was often the Gentiles who received his message while the Jews rejected him.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Atheon

In the story of the Good Samaritan, there's a definitely anti-racist sentiment. Christianity has been used for racist ends, but it is not racist per se.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 11:13:40 PM
If you look at what racism is... an oppressive and hateful mindset against certain groups of people

and look at what Christianity includes... oppressive and hateful mindsets against certain groups of people

you can accurately conclude that yes, Christianity is racist.

Both religion and racism are of the "Us versus Them" mentality: we are ok, they're not.

Mike Cl

The bible and christianity both can be used to promote any point you want to promote.  In the hands of a racist the bible is a racist tool.  The bible can morph into whatever tool one needs.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?