Eleven Year Olds Premeditate Murder

Started by SGOS, February 16, 2013, 09:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttfinger

Quote from: "Mermaid"It's access to guns.
Whose access?  Which guns?

QuoteIt's permissive parenting.
As I've said myself.

QuoteIt's cultural. It's in the media and in advertising.
I agree with this, actually.  The media shows all these huge massacres, spends hours showing sobbing family members, and all the carnage.  When a child gets pissed off at his classmates, or some suicidal schmuck is pissed off at the world, they see the carnage that others have inflicted before them, and THIS is what they have in mind when they take it out on the public.  This will be the case so long as parents are not held responsible for allowing children access and it will continue for as long as we allow the background check system to be as fucked as it is right now.  When these are addressed, the problem will be MUCH less than it is, without trampling on the rights of law abiding, mature (relatively speaking, in some cases) adults.

Mermaid

Quote from: "buttfinger"
Quote from: "Mermaid"It's access to guns.
Whose access?  Which guns?

QuoteIt's permissive parenting.
As I've said myself.

QuoteIt's cultural. It's in the media and in advertising.
I agree with this, actually.  The media shows all these huge massacres, spends hours showing sobbing family members, and all the carnage.  When a child gets pissed off at his classmates, or some suicidal schmuck is pissed off at the world, they see the carnage that others have inflicted before them, and THIS is what they have in mind when they take it out on the public.  This will be the case so long as parents are not held responsible for allowing children access and it will continue for as long as we allow the background check system to be as fucked as it is right now.  When these are addressed, the problem will be MUCH less than it is, without trampling on the rights of law abiding, mature (relatively speaking, in some cases) adults.
You seem like you really want to argue here, but I don't think we disagree on this. Kids (and adults) see horrible violence dozens of times a day with no apparent consequence other than "Oh, that's too bad". You can shoot a guy in a video game and watch his brains come out, and then he gets another life. I think we've lost the connection between committing acts of violence on other people and the true consequences of that violence.

To answer your first question, it is too easy to purchase guns in my opinion. I don't have an issue with people owning guns, make no mistake. We have one in the house at the moment ourselves. It was freakishly easy, however, to get one. There are too fucking many. But I don't see guns as the fundamental problem. They are just a tool. A very efficient and deadly tool.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SvZurich

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "SvZurich"Ha!  Got my first shotgun (.410) at 8 and shot it in the woods.  ALWAYS supervised.  Was taught gun safety first, demonstrated it before receiving ammo, and was directed on what to shoot and when.  Safety first.

That doesn't mean it was a right thing to do though Kimmie. And how many years ago was this?
Sure... get me to reveal my age through trickery.  ;)  Had you actually paid attention to the board's main page on the day that my birthday occurred, you'd know the answer to that.

It WAS the right thing to do.  Mom's 2nd and 3rd husbands are/were gun nuts with lots of firearms.  In that situation, teaching kids gun safety is a must for safety.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

I admit the thing that raised my eyes was the 80 bucks. Are the parents dealers of just fearful of banks, leave money around the house? WTF?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust