Eleven Year Olds Premeditate Murder

Started by SGOS, February 16, 2013, 09:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://q13fox.com/2013/02/14/report-5th ... z2L4YykzwD

Two 5th graders in the State of Washington brought a gun and a knife to school with the intention of killing classmates.

QuoteStaff members asked the 10-year-old boy why he had the gun. The boy reportedly told staff he was going to "get" an 11-year-old classmate who had been mean to them and "do her in." The Spokesman reported the two planned to stab the girl with a knife and then keep everyone else a bay with the gun.

The boys admitted to the teacher that there were other students they wanted to kill. They also allegedly admitted to the teacher they were going to kill the girl on the day the weapons were found.

Not included in the article.  One of the boys paid another student $80 in hush money to keep quiet about the plot, and is being charged with witness tampering.

AllPurposeAtheist

And the powers that be will probably try to bury the kid under the prison for life.. at 10 I probably planned similar plots and got my ass paddled.. Obviously I turned into a mass murderer.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

buttfinger

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"And the powers that be will probably try to bury the kid under the prison for life.. at 10 I probably planned similar plots and got my ass paddled.. Obviously I turned into a mass murderer.. :roll:
Did you bring weapons to school in order to carry out the deed?  I had similar plots, even throughout high school, but never brought the means to carry it out.  This was no mere fantasy.

SGOS

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"And the powers that be will probably try to bury the kid under the prison for life.. at 10 I probably planned similar plots and got my ass paddled.. Obviously I turned into a mass murderer.. :roll:
My initial reaction to the article was shock, but in retrospect, I suppose it's not all that unusual.  In 8th grade (Chicago), one of my classmates brought a gun to school and threatened a classmate.  He was expelled, and of course the cops came and took him away, but I lost track after that, so I don't know what happened to him.

AllPurposeAtheist

10 year olds overreact regularly. At 10 this kid can be shown different ways of dealing with problems.. Perhaps the school needs to review how they deal with problems as well to prevent them before kids feel the need to kill.

SGOS

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"10 year olds overreact regularly. At 10 this kid can be shown different ways of dealing with problems.. Perhaps the school needs to review how they deal with problems as well to prevent them before kids feel the need to kill.
I'm guessing this will be informally addressed, if not formally.  I remember teachers taking time out to deal with similar problems at that age.  Some schools have formal anger management programs already in place.

buttfinger

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"But the problem here is 10 year olds shouldn't get their hands on guns this easily.
Absolutely.  The problem we have here is that irresponsible parents don't meet consequences when these things happen.  There will likely be a CPS case, but that will amount to nothing at all, as there are no laws preventing a parent from keeping  gun out in the open in their home.  While the lefties are legislating bans on legitimate tools, we should be legislating penalties for leaving guns readily accessible to children.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Yeah children are children. But the problem here is 10 year olds shouldn't get their hands on guns this easily.
No! NO! Arm 10 year olds to prevent this 10 year old's actions because nothing says a well rounded education like a shootout among school children! :D

SGOS

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Yeah children are children. But the problem here is 10 year olds shouldn't get their hands on guns this easily.
One of the reader comments I read after one of the articles was, "These kids brought a knife, gun, and $80 to school?  Do they have parents?"

I chuckled over that one, but it makes a reasonable point.

buttfinger

Quote from: "SGOS""These kids brought a knife, gun, and $80 to school?  Do they have parents?"
Certainly not responsible ones.

Mermaid

I think this is partially the parents' fault for that kid having access to a gun, but I think the larger problem is cultural. Our American culture needs adjustment. This kind of thing should be absolutely fall-over shocking to the whole country but it's become the norm.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

buttfinger

And what culturally do you think we should fix?  It SHOULD BE shocking, correct, but the reason it is not has nothing to do with us being complacent with this situation so much as us being complacent with children having unfettered access to weapons, which then makes these situations a common occurrence.  The cultural problem here is that it IS the parents fault for allowing their children this kind of access.  The reason it's the norm is that we don't fix this problem of parents having the right to give children access to deadly tools before they're mature enough to understand the consequences of using these tools.

Mermaid

Quote from: "buttfinger"The cultural problem here is that it IS the parents fault for allowing their children this kind of access.  The reason it's the norm is that we don't fix this problem of parents having the right to give children access to deadly tools before they're mature enough to understand the consequences of using these tools.
I don't agree that this problem lies solely on the shoulders of parents. That's pretty simplistic.
It's access to guns. It's permissive parenting. It's cultural. It's in the media and in advertising. It's a very very very complex problem that has 1000 solutions, not one.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

Ten year olds shouldn't get their hands on guns at all, unless they're being supervised, and they should never be able to get their hands on hand guns at that age.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SvZurich

Ha!  Got my first shotgun (.410) at 8 and shot it in the woods.  ALWAYS supervised.  Was taught gun safety first, demonstrated it before receiving ammo, and was directed on what to shoot and when.  Safety first.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.