Building a Fictional Religion in NationStates; Any Suggestions?

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, October 06, 2015, 08:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

I have a project in NationStates right now in which I'm re-creating a society from Dominions 4. Ermor is mostly based on ancient Rome, and its "New Faith" is similar to Christianity with elements of Islam tossed in. Said religion is in the process of absorbing an older pagan faith identical to Roman paganism, so many different colleges of priests and magicians from the old faith are still present. Also, magic is real in Dominions 4, and so are gods.

Does anyone have some good ideas for how to structure this fictitious church in world where gods and magic actually exist? I'm researching the Catholic Church for most of my reference points, but I understand some of you (like Stromboli) are also knowledgeable about Mormonism. Anything would be helpful. :)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

jonb

I would suggest you think about the magic of place. Enchanted wells woods and mountains. Pilgrimages then  would be important.Thus you get the nation springing from the ground on which it is built Japanese Shinto might then influence you or old gothic places in Germany. This could make a very strong state religion.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

GrinningYMIR

Make sure to have a saint or a son/daughter of god

and make sex a holy thing, and have people pray every Wednesday at 12:34
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

dtq123

1. Have a central figure that is partially a deity!
Since you are talking magic, I recommend that this central figure have a lot of magic, preferably healing (No Derp), telepathy (Omniscience Part), immunity from disease ("Omnipotence")

Preferably shifting powers over time as new leaders are elected. I also recommend they be elected by a holy counsel

2. A counsel!
Just have your newly founded Pope, I mean central figure be selected by his lower subordinates (Patriarchs in Catholicism)

3. Be sure to have different Sects of your religion!
Ah, nobody could forget how the Byzantine Empire divided east and west Europe.

Edit: In-Game Nation?
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 06, 2015, 08:39:55 PM
I have a project in NationStates right now in which I'm re-creating a society from Dominions 4. Ermor is mostly based on ancient Rome, and its "New Faith" is similar to Christianity with elements of Islam tossed in. Said religion is in the process of absorbing an older pagan faith identical to Roman paganism, so many different colleges of priests and magicians from the old faith are still present. Also, magic is real in Dominions 4, and so are gods.

Does anyone have some good ideas for how to structure this fictitious church in world where gods and magic actually exist? I'm researching the Catholic Church for most of my reference points, but I understand some of you (like Stromboli) are also knowledgeable about Mormonism. Anything would be helpful. :)
A trio of Gods would definitely work well with the Roman theme.  A knowledge god, a worker god, and a war god (or something similar) would be nice, as would a distinctive ritual.  Maybe a ritual involving washing a person in mud then blood then salt water.  Or distinctive in its locale - like only in some sacred grove or stone monument or only on some auspicious day.