News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Refugee Crisis

Started by stromboli, September 01, 2015, 11:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/06/09/world/migrants-global-refugee-crisis-mediterranean-ukraine-syria-rohingya-malaysia-iraq.html?_r=0

QuoteMasses of migrants and refugees, many from Syria, Afghanistan and Kosovo, have been overwhelming border authorities in several Balkan countries as they try to reach Western Europe. The migrants travel in groups of just a few to dozens, moving north by bus, train, taxi or van. Serbian news media reported that some 70 buses of migrants entered the capital, Belgrade, on Sunday. Migrants in Macedonia told reporters that they were especially eager to move after Hungary said it planned to complete a fence along its 109-mile border with Serbia by Monday. (PUBLISHED AUG. 26)

TAXING THE NEIGHBORS

Years of violence in Iraq and Syria have stretched the capacities of neighboring countries to accommodate the displaced. In Jordan, unemployment has almost doubled since 2011 in areas with high concentrations of refugees, according to a recent International Labor Organization study. Lebanon began to require visas from Syrians in January. Refugees now make up about 20 percent of Lebanon’s population. In March, Turkey announced it would close the two remaining border gates with Syria. UPDATED AUGUST 26

DIVISION OVER HOW TO RESPOND

In May, European leaders said they would form a naval force based in Italy to combat people-smuggling. The European Commission also appealed to the bloc’s member states to accept quotas of migrants to relieve the burden on southern states, like Italy and Greece, which are the main landing points. Poverty and war in places like Libya, South Sudan, Eritrea and Nigeria are driving migrants to make the perilous journey across the Mediterranean Sea. UPDATED JULY 1

CRIPPLED ECONOMY

Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians have fled to Russia. But European Union countries, like Poland, Germany and Italy, which are among the top destinations for asylum seekers, have rejected most applications from Ukrainians. Less than a third of the $316 million needed in 2015 for the United Nations’ humanitarian response has been raised so far. The conflict was particularly damaging to Ukraine’s economy, which is expected to shrink 9 percent by the end of the year. UPDATED JULY 1

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Population displaced by conflicts- the word conflict is heavily used. Now throw in global warming as a root cause.

Fascism is rising in Germany in East Germany and now other areas, people concerned about the influx of refugees. Strong right wing groups are on the rise in many countries, including Greece and England.

With a population now approaching 8 billion, a population world wide that is aging- Japan has several thousand people more than 100 years old- we now have more elderly people by percentage than at any time history.

Fascism will be on every election ticket into the future. It will get worse and it will lead to major conflicts the world over, bank on it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on September 01, 2015, 11:58:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/06/09/world/migrants-global-refugee-crisis-mediterranean-ukraine-syria-rohingya-malaysia-iraq.html?_r=0

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Population displaced by conflicts- the word conflict is heavily used. Now throw in global warming as a root cause.

Fascism is rising in Germany in East Germany and now other areas, people concerned about the influx of refugees. Strong right wing groups are on the rise in many countries, including Greece and England.

With a population now approaching 8 billion, a population world wide that is aging- Japan has several thousand people more than 100 years old- we now have more elderly people by percentage than at any time history.

Fascism will be on every election ticket into the future. It will get worse and it will lead to major conflicts the world over, bank on it.
If I were younger this would frighten me to no end.  I think you are correct.  I do fear for my children and especially for my grandchildren. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

The situation is very bad and will get much more worse.

We are in it too. There are nearly 2 million refugess in the country and people are getting pretty sharp against it after they get involved some violent crimes, rape and theft.

Also, has anyone seen Kiev in the news? Protestors threw a grenade to cops and used molotfs. Death toll.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 01, 2015, 01:19:19 PM
The situation is very bad and will get much more worse.

We are in it too. There are nearly 2 million refugess in the country and people are getting pretty sharp against it after they get involved some violent crimes, rape and theft.

Also, has anyone seen Kiev in the news? Protestors threw a grenade to cops and used molotfs. Death toll.

I feel your pain, Shoe. I'm the lucky one on here; very secure in my finances, living in the Rocky Mountains and well protected in every sense. Feel bad for those living in troublesome situations.

AllPurposeAtheist

I hate to say it, but this is all by design.  US foreign policy dictates perpetual war with never ending profit and the results are mass migration of the victims of war and climate change.  Tossed in with it the never ending propaganda about immigrants taking jobs and islamaphobia and the right wing is assured power. On top of that China's economy is going to shit and dragging everyone else with it.. Outlook: Not so peachy.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

peacewithoutgod

Fascism in Germany again, as it was aired clear enough in their hypocritical showdown with Greece - now isn't that special! Now the American Cheneyites will take us to war with the Krauts so that we can take over their car production, and you know that will not be good for the value of any new Mercedes or BMW. But at least we'll knock back the fascists, because we Americans ain't no damned godless fascists - nonononoooo, we are capitalists, and we're with God!

You will be assimilated!  :axe: :borg: :axe:
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Munch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 01, 2015, 06:58:18 PM
I hate to say it, but this is all by design.  US foreign policy dictates perpetual war with never ending profit and the results are mass migration of the victims of war and climate change.  Tossed in with it the never ending propaganda about immigrants taking jobs and islamaphobia and the right wing is assured power. On top of that China's economy is going to shit and dragging everyone else with it.. Outlook: Not so peachy.

must say, seeing the current mounting situations we have in the world today, it makes me all the more glad I abandoned the idea of an afterlife, and once i'm dead I won't have to consciously think about how the world is going to shit.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

stromboli

This is only the beginning. EU is already being swamped by refugees and it will continue and increase, not abate. The hard cold fact is that any country can only absorb so many refugees. And if you read the comments, most of these are young men. Many no doubt are fathers, and if they get established they will bring their families with them. The problem will only compound itself. The right wing will become stronger and the outcome one way or another isn't going to be pretty.

Welcome to the future, y'all. PR126 ought to be wading in any time now.....

pr126

QuotePR126 ought to be wading in any time now.....
Nope. I am over 70, and in bad health. Past caring.
It Is very likely that I won't be around when the great culling of the herd begins.

stromboli

Too bad, PR. You always keep the discussion lively. In any case I'm in a similar boat. My time is now more occupied caring for my wife than much else, so the forum is of lesser importance. And I'm 66.

drunkenshoe

You realise that these people are running for their lives, right? Every day they die on the way. What would you do? If they stay, they will have to support one of the sides. And when it comes to it, you blame those people for staying and fighting for either side. They can't win, can they? Because they do not count as humans after all.

Fuck the area as much as you can, then go "oh end is nigh! we are over run!"

Too bad they cannot run away to live in the US.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 02, 2015, 04:02:08 AM
You realise that these people are running for their lives, right? Every day they die on the way. What would you do? If they stay, they will have to support one of the sides. And when it comes to it, you blame those people for staying and fighting for either side. They can't win, can they? Because they do not count as humans after all.

Fuck the area as much as you can, then go "oh end is nigh! we are over run!"

Too bad they cannot run away to live in the US.

No, we get Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorians and people leaving the Bible Belt to move to Colorado. I know some of each...... :biggrin:

drunkenshoe

Quote from: stromboli on September 02, 2015, 11:29:52 AM
No, we get Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorians and people leaving the Bible Belt to move to Colorado. I know some of each...... :biggrin:

Lol, come on that's not enough to be fair, now is it.  :biggrin: You need more diversity than that.

josephpalazzo

Hi strom, the refugee crisis is a humanitarian disaster. This one, blame it on humans, no one else. It puts into question the very concept of borders, nationhood and human nature.