Anybody see the news about the opiate producing yeast?

Started by PopeyesPappy, August 31, 2015, 10:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Apparently someone has genetically engineered yeast to produce a substance that can be refined into morphine. They said they are working on other compounds too, but they think they are probably two years from having a commercially viable strain. The feds are watching this one very closely it has the potential for illegal home brew type operations.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

I can see their concern, but I doubt it would effect anyone other than the normal types who gravitate toward drugs. Most of our youth today can't get enough time off of their social media accounts to read news....any news...or weather.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

doorknob

any thing has potential to be used as a drug. But I see this as pharmaceutical advancement not illegal drug manufacturing.

TomFoolery

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 31, 2015, 10:58:51 AM
The feds are watching this one very closely it has the potential for illegal home brew type operations.

People turned spray paint and lighter fluid into drugs. Trying to keep people from concocting new highs is like trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: doorknob on August 31, 2015, 11:30:27 AM
any thing has potential to be used as a drug. But I see this as pharmaceutical advancement not illegal drug manufacturing.

If they can make it commercially viable it would undoubtedly be a pharmaceutical advancement. It not only has the potential to make opiate production independent of poppy harvests, but they also talked about engineering effective opiates that are less physically addictive. That would be a big plus if they could do that. But it also has the potential to make home brewed heroin (or something similar) very easy. Currently to make something like that you first have to obtain large quantities of raw opium. That's not all that easy for most people. If this works out all you'd need is small package of starter yeast. 
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.