News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Historical atlas of Europe

Started by Gerard, August 01, 2015, 10:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerard

I've had this link in my sig for years now, but I haven't made improvements to the site in years. And they are needed because there are some mistakes and I want to expand the scope of the maps to the Middle ages. I've made the maps now. They are not online yet but I've made a YouTube movie of them. Please watch in HD full screen otherwise the whole thing becomes unreadable....

I'll renew the website in the next coming weeks hopefully....

Gerard

dtq123

I thought I was in class for a moment there! My teacher would play music like that and he would go on and on about the history of the united states. GET TO THE WARS ALREADY!

Edit: I do like it, but maybe you could have subtitles that explain why the land of each nation expanded or was lost. I know it's an atlas, but maybe do something like a shaded area that was lost in war or whatever.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Cocoa Beware

This is extremely good as far as I can tell.

I don't have the historical knowledge to honestly rate this, but there is a ton of detail here, much more then I am accustomed to seeing in timeline maps. I like how you presented the Holy Roman Empire, as for the most part a loose conglomeration with no central power.

Unfortunately I lost the plot somewhat. I'm so accustomed to seeing the major territorial shifts as with Napoleonic France and the third Reich in these kinds of videos; I also noticed that France and other European nations were independent in 1943, which I dont believe is correct.

SGOS

That was fun.  Actually, fun!  Watching the boundaries change so quickly brings home how unstable nations are.  They come and go, and come and go.  Although, it was hard at times to keep up with it, if it went slower, it might lose some of the excitement.  What caused you undertake this project?

Gerard

Thanks all! About Napoleon and Hitler. I chose to emphasize border change and not military conquest, although you can see a white line on the 1943 map indicating that as well. I'll leave a note here when all these maps are on the website with explanatory text. I'm still writing that.

Gerard

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

What is now Germany was such a mess in 1347.  ><

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Gerard on August 03, 2015, 09:20:19 PM
Thanks all! About Napoleon and Hitler. I chose to emphasize border change and not military conquest, although you can see a white line on the 1943 map indicating that as well. I'll leave a note here when all these maps are on the website with explanatory text. I'm still writing that.

Gerard

My bad, I didnt see that white outline for Switzerland, and the others; and explanations would be helpful for sure.

Otherwise this is excellent, again great detail; it looks like you have even distinguished all the duchies in France around the time of the 100 years war, and I think your choice of music is perfect.

Gerard

As promised the website is back online. With the maps and the explanatory text. It can be found here in the link in my signature.

Gerard