News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Religion causes war and should be elliminated.

Started by usalabs14, March 12, 2013, 10:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usalabs14

First, I've been an atheist since I can remember, and I believe in one world, one unity, meaning, total peace and everyone living and helping each other, no religion, no weapons, no borders, this planet is for everyone, regardless of color or creed.

Look at history and the present, wars happen because of religion, Hitler persecuted the Jews, the Irish fought each other (Catholic against Protestant), everyone says their region is the truth, and war breaks out because of it, look at most of the so called cults and organizations that have formed since as early as 1815 all based on religion, and the wars that are caused are all fought for the sake of religion.

Think about this, if current technology permitted us to travel the universe and found a very primitive planet, but it's inhabitants are socially acceptable, but we showed them something that's 1000 years ahead of their time, they would consider us gods, because the technology wouldn't even be thought of, and we wrote a book explaining would "could" happen if they didn't change their ways (much as the USA are telling Iraq), but someone saw that book and found out we are as human as they are and can be hurt, thus a group of people wanted to keep peace and decided these so called "gods" are not wanted and did the only thing they could do at the time, and since then, the book as been re-written, written again, words twisted, and re-written again and again, and over the centuries, the REAL truth has been completely wiped out.

As it's said, keep telling the same lie, and it becomes indistinguishable from the truth, and people would believe the various versions and make up their own meanings to them.

So, to conclude, if this world was totally without religion, there would be peace, and tranquility, everyone helping each other, there would be no famine, because countries would help each other, nobody would be helpless, as the strong would help the weak, people would be able to travel across countries with no boundaries, everyone would be able to communicate regardless of where they life, because people would teach each other their languages , THIS!! is the world as it should be, maybe it'll happen in 10,000 years when mankind has finally near but wiped themselves out, and the true people of peace will grow.
As quoted by Eleanor Roosevelt.

---------------
It isn\'t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn\'t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.
---------------

antediluvian

Wars also happen cuz you have stuff I want (like land and riches) or if I'm just pissed of at ya.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Brian37

Quote from: "usalabs14"First, I've been an atheist since I can remember, and I believe in one world, one unity, meaning, total peace and everyone living and helping each other, no religion, no weapons, no borders, this planet is for everyone, regardless of color or creed.

Look at history and the present, wars happen because of religion, Hitler persecuted the Jews, the Irish fought each other (Catholic against Protestant), everyone says their region is the truth, and war breaks out because of it, look at most of the so called cults and organizations that have formed since as early as 1815 all based on religion, and the wars that are caused are all fought for the sake of religion.

Think about this, if current technology permitted us to travel the universe and found a very primitive planet, but it's inhabitants are socially acceptable, but we showed them something that's 1000 years ahead of their time, they would consider us gods, because the technology wouldn't even be thought of, and we wrote a book explaining would "could" happen if they didn't change their ways (much as the USA are telling Iraq), but someone saw that book and found out we are as human as they are and can be hurt, thus a group of people wanted to keep peace and decided these so called "gods" are not wanted and did the only thing they could do at the time, and since then, the book as been re-written, written again, words twisted, and re-written again and again, and over the centuries, the REAL truth has been completely wiped out.

As it's said, keep telling the same lie, and it becomes indistinguishable from the truth, and people would believe the various versions and make up their own meanings to them.

So, to conclude, if this world was totally without religion, there would be peace, and tranquility, everyone helping each other, there would be no famine, because countries would help each other, nobody would be helpless, as the strong would help the weak, people would be able to travel across countries with no boundaries, everyone would be able to communicate regardless of where they life, because people would teach each other their languages , THIS!! is the world as it should be, maybe it'll happen in 10,000 years when mankind has finally near but wiped themselves out, and the true people of peace will grow.

Way to scare the shit out of theists and play into their stereotypes with the title of this thread.

Exactly how should religion be "eliminated"? Arrest all theists? Murder all theists?

And what would make you think that if suddenly tomorrow all 7 billion of us were all atheists, do you think there would be no divisions at all? Because I can tell you there are atheists I disagree with. Ayan Rand was one atheist who has the same "let them eat cake" attitude Paul Ryan a Catholic politician in congress now has.

You think there are not capable of greed or murder, because if you go to a mostly atheist country, you still have prisons.

There are 7 billion people on this planet, and we are social animals and will always form groups. Our labels don't make us automatically good or bad. I agree that religion is a poison. But we ourselves cannot take on a utopia state attitude anymore than their utopias can be projected on us.

What we can do however is use reason, science, ridicule, debate and blasphemy. What we can to is keep an eye on religion and keep it at arms length so that it does not become fascist.

But we have never ceased to be a different species. If atheists forget that then we are doomed to repeat the same barbaric acts we say humans should get away from.

Morality is evolutionary based, not label based. Atheism is a position, not a moral code. We are still all individuals with different classes and political leanings, even atheists.

I would recommend reading "The New Atheism" by Victor Stenger and "The God Delusion" By Richard Dawkins. Our common humanity is not our labels, our common humanity is our evolution.

Humans will always be a range of behavior both good and bad. Our labels do not determine if we will do good or bad, only our actions do.

We cant seek utopias, no one should,  no religion or political party. We can foster long term logic and critical thinking and better education. We can insist that no one deserves taboo status. But we cannot project ourselves on others anymore than we want them to project themselves on us.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Hydra009

Quote from: "usalabs14"So, to conclude, if this world was totally without religion, there would be peace, and tranquility, everyone helping each other, there would be no famine, because countries would help each other, nobody would be helpless, as the strong would help the weak, people would be able to travel across countries with no boundaries, everyone would be able to communicate regardless of where they life, because people would teach each other their languages , THIS!! is the world as it should be, maybe it'll happen in 10,000 years when mankind has finally near but wiped themselves out, and the true people of peace will grow.
Welcome.  While obviously much more than just phasing out religion would be necessary to accomplish this, if it could ever be realistically accomplished at all.  Though I do applaud your goal.  Peace and tranquility.  If only it were that easy.

stromboli

Religion is not the only reason for war. As often as not it was the excuse.

Paradox

Quote from: "usalabs14"First, I've been an atheist since I can remember, and I believe in one world, one unity, meaning, total peace and everyone living and helping each other, no religion, no weapons, no borders, this planet is for everyone, regardless of color or creed.

Every religion except MY religion causes war. My religion is a religion of peace.

You say that it is not do you? Meet me at 12:30 AM on 03/15/2013 and I will show you a piece of my mind... WITH MY FIST!

No but seriously, religions do not cause wars in and of themselves. Competing interests cause wars. Religions are not innately competing interest unless outlined in their core theology.... which sufficient for your argument, many if not most religions have a non-compete clause somewhere in their contracts.

Thumpalumpacus

If you remove the religious justification for war, nations will simply find another justification for it.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Paradox

^^

Nationalism and religion can be placed in the exact same category. Both lead to tall tales about fallen or even non-existing heroes.... both lead to undying loyalty which can spark the most irrational responses to crisis.

I will argue, however, that there is a place for nationalism, and even religion (I know, GASP) but far too often is their very meaning and purpose perverted to the ways of wicked men.

The Non Prophet

Hi, welcome. I'm assuming you're an Anti-theist like me and believes mankind would be better off ten times over without religion and many hundreds of years more advanced, which really pisses me off we're so far behind. I disagree with those saying Religion doesn't cause wars or hasn't, 9/11 caused a holy war in a sense and was religiously motivated. If you also look at the major genocides in history you will find they were religious in nature or religious in structure.

Plu

Welcome to the forums. You might be going at this a bit too simplisticly.

pr126

Welcome to the forum.

Well, I know one particular religion which prescribes eternal war by divine command on those who are not members of that religion.
Not many of us prepared to acknowledge this.
We pretend it isn't true. Even when they are screaming it from the rooftops all the time.

Brian37

Actually anything can be treated like a religion, and I get knocked around for saying why I hate the word "philosophy", because people get married to them, an idea becomes a cult, like a political party or a religion.

Stalin's communism and Iran's theocracy are both forms of religion. So religion does cause war, one is worship of the state and one is worship of a god.

Ultimately once you strip political labels and religion from all this what is really going on is nothing but our evolutionary strive for resources. We make up labels as artificial terms to make excuses as to why our "in group" should have power. But ultimately it isn't about our religions or politics, it is about our evolutionary drive to survive.

I think the cure to reduce this more, is to stop seeing religious or political labels as solutions, rather we should shift our priorities as a species to common problem solving.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

War is over money and power. Everything else is pure bullshit..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"War is over money and power. Everything else is pure bullshit..

Agreed, because in evolution everything is about gain of resources. The more you have the more opportunity you have to make offspring.

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .