News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Greeting fellow nonbelievers

Started by invalid_reason, August 27, 2015, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invalid_reason

What's up?

How old you when you told your religious parents/guardians you were their worst nightmare?[emoji48]

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

TomFoolery

I was 29 when I was outed on Facebook.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

peacewithoutgod

Welcome!

Not everybody here was raised religious, although I was. I decided a bit late in life that I'm atheist, and didn't tell my parents until I was in my 40's. They weren't particularly thrilled about this, but they respect my decision, having been themselves people who questioned and rejected their own parents' ultra-conservative ideas, going where they felt drawn toward until they decided on their own ideas.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

invalid_reason

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on August 27, 2015, 02:52:18 PM
Welcome!

Not everybody here was raised religious, although I was. I decided a bit late in life that I'm atheist, and didn't tell my parents until I was in my 40's. They weren't particularly thrilled about this, but they respect my decision, having been themselves people who questioned and rejected their own parents' ultra-conservative ideas, going where they felt drawn toward until they decided on their own ideas.
I was raised religious as well. Though I decided pretty young at around 5 or 6.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

aitm

I stopped "believing" probably around 13 but kept going to church cause thats where all the girls were.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

I was around 15 when I was told by my youngest uncle that the sum of what I have been talking about -in a primitive way- is called atheism, but that it is actually a bad naming -as a word- because it gives the impression of there is actually something but we are just protesting and refusing to believe. It was the begining of the 90s and the best thing to read was Hoimar von Ditfurth. Kids are pretty spoilt today.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solitary

Welcome aboard invalid_reason !   My dad knew it, and my other dad knew it, and my Southern Methodist mother knew it when I was born if she thought about it, but my mother didn't know until I was six years old and I told her I was.  My two dads, who are atheists, thought it was great, my mother had a nervous brake down called temporary insanity, honest! I thought it was being her normal self, even at that age.  :madu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

My parents were both dead.  My mother would have been somewhat concerned, but she seemed inclined to let me accept my conclusions.  My father was a different matter, as well as a different sort of parent.  There is no doubt he would have shown compete disgust, as he often did, even when I did something good, like get straight As on my report card.  He was very predictable.  For all his holier than thou, and disapproving attitude, I would describe him as a loser.  Back then I didn't like him. Now, years later, I feel mostly sorry for him, not to say I would want him back again, however.  My grandmother, who lived in the same house would have completely freaked out in tears of sadness.  However, I think my grandfather would have understood.

The one atheist of all my relatives was old Uncle Harry.  My father hated him, but I always liked him.  He was gruff, rough around the edges, and filthy rich.  He swore in front of me, but I didn't mind.  He was always very nice to me, even when I probably didn't deserve it.

Solitary

My one dad came from a Catholic family, and the black sheep of the family was Gus, he was the only one I liked, even though he was a bum and panhandled, he was very kind to me. He loved to go drink at bars and get everyone riled up about religion and politics, and then leave laughing.  :eek:.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Mine seemed to happen over a slow period, was never a devout believer in god and neither were my parents, but more casual, because everyone else did.

I guess I stopped believing in anything religious some five years ago, and I'm thankful I'm in a secular family that looks on religion as what it is, a cult.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

I was raised in a home that did not talk about god one way, or the other.  I don't remember talking about religion much, if at all.  So, I did not really declare myself an atheist until relatively recently.  I've never been a believer (although I tried to be a one point), and have always thought of myself as basically agnostic.  Now I'm pure atheist.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

My family was irreligious.  I came to religion thru marriage primarily, and then continued to develop a more mature view year by year.  But generally the women were pietistic ... in a minimal way.  The men had no use for it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

jonb

My parents taught me deference is a sin, and that respect has to be earned, partly due to their guidance I have been devoutly Atheist all my life.

I like this thread, like busses you wait for ages and then two come along at once.

stromboli

jonb