Will Ryan Cooper Bravely Run Away?

Started by Xerographica, August 25, 2015, 01:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerographica

Ryan Cooper is a writer for the very liberal magazine The Week.  A couple days ago he tweeted a link to my blog.  He said that this blog entry of mine... Matt Bruenig vs Poverty... was "extremely weird"... heh.

So I just posted this blog entry... Ryan Cooper vs Economics... and shared the link with him in a reply to his tweet.

My main argument was that the free-rider problem is equally applicable to democracy.  In theory this argument should present a significant problem for Cooper.  He really loves democracy... but the free-rider problem is the number one justification for taxation.  What are his options?  None of them are very good.

• Pretend that the free-rider problem isn't applicable to democracy.  This would make him look really ignorant.
  • Throw the free-rider problem under the bus = throw the number one justification for taxation under the bus.
  • Throw democracy under the bus.

So what do you think?  Do you think he's going to publicly respond to my main argument?  Or... do you think he's going to bravely run away?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Xerographica on August 25, 2015, 01:09:21 AM
Ryan Cooper is a writer for the very liberal magazine The Week.  A couple days ago he tweeted a link to my blog.  He said that this blog entry of mine... Matt Bruenig vs Poverty... was "extremely weird"... heh.

So I just posted this blog entry... Ryan Cooper vs Economics... and shared the link with him in a reply to his tweet.

My main argument was that the free-rider problem is equally applicable to democracy.  In theory this argument should present a significant problem for Cooper.  He really loves democracy... but the free-rider problem is the number one justification for taxation.  What are his options?  None of them are very good.

• Pretend that the free-rider problem isn't applicable to democracy.  This would make him look really ignorant.
  • Throw the free-rider problem under the bus = throw the number one justification for taxation under the bus.
  • Throw democracy under the bus.

So what do you think?  Do you think he's going to publicly respond to my main argument?  Or... do you think he's going to bravely run away?
I don't know who either one of you are, so I have no idea.  I think I'll go back to my baseball game now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

We all live in our own little world, don't we?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

peacewithoutgod

Wasn't Ayn Rand the cult goddess of you libertarians? Perhaps you can conjure her up for an answer. Oh, wait - she taught narcissism, so guess she wouldn't have let you worship her. Then again, why would a narcissist not allow you to worship her, no matter what she may have taught you, or those who launched whatever movement has infected your head and cast the spell of the stone heart over you? HELLLLLLLLLP - LOGIC CONUNDRUM HERE!!! The rabbit hole is calling, spiraling dowwwwwn!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on August 25, 2015, 12:05:30 PM
Keynesian or supply side?
Oh, my bubble is the Mike Cl bubble--barely understood even by me.

stromboli

Actually I just googled that. I have no clue what that means.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on August 25, 2015, 07:00:08 PM
Actually I just googled that. I have no clue what that means.
I googled it, too and found out that I was the senior reporter for the Sun Sentinel.  I did not know that. 

But I do know that my bubble is my universe.  How and why it works is still being discovered by me, and much of it still puzzles me.  I would imagine that that will be the case to the day I die.