Kid Gloves Atheism and Eastern Philosophy

Started by CrucifyCindy, August 24, 2015, 02:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakurei Reimu

I don't need psychedelic experiences to live a full life of wonder and beauty. You don't either.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Nihil-ist on August 27, 2015, 09:10:22 AM
You don't need drugs to have psychedelic experiences they can be induced through mediation and float tanks too.
Why do you really think one who has experienced and understood the true wonders of reality would be interested in getting so fucked up and unreal anyway? You have made it plain your aversion or fear of things which you haven't experienced for yourself. When something powerful, great, and REAL is revealed to you about the universe, this inspires - how can something that you know to be false inspire anyone? You incessantly post gigabytes worth of weird, ugly graphics here, song lyrics, and other vapidities, and then you insist there is nothing wrong with doing the drugs that you get high on - and still you seem to wonder why we laugh when you say it's us who are "missing out"! You really don't seem to understand how obvious that is, but we do well enough.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

aitm

Many of us here have had ample experience with multiple drugs and I can only speak for myself, they are indeed nice to have lived through and all that but I would not in any way shape or form suggest to any one that they may help them in any fashion at all, in any way. Because other than one particular wonderful orgasm that lasted several minutes ( so it seemed, turned out I actually was peeing in her) I have had no drug experience that enlightened any damn thing.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on August 27, 2015, 02:51:52 PM
Because other than one particular wonderful orgasm that lasted several minutes ( so it seemed, turned out I actually was peeing in her) I have had no drug experience that enlightened any damn thing.

:rotflmao:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nihil-ist

I know you guys are really skeptical of this stuff. I was too then I kept reading "trip" reports and couldn't help but what to learn more. My thirst is insatiable for learning.

http://www.serendipity.li/dmt/340_dmt_trip_reports.htm
Basically I had a experience similar to this one.
QuoteI raised the volume on my surround-sound system to the perfect level, with the music I had carefully selected: Beethoven's Tempest, the third and final movement, Allegretto. I sat in a comfortable chair, reclined, and took a few deep breaths. I am ready for this, I half-heartedly told myself, as my still-trembling hands raised the pipe to my lips in a slightly mechanical fashion. As the acrid vapor swirled into my lungs I thought, This is it. This is what we have been waiting for, questing for, and no one can ever be ready for this! Then it happened. The physical world dissolved before my eyes. It felt as if the entire universe had been compressed down to the size of a pea, and then placed in the center of my brain. Time stopped, and I ceased to exist. In that timeless moment, I was everything and nothing, all knowledge was mine, but I had no thought. I observed all matter and energy in the universe swirl together, swept into a mandala that included the energy formerly known as Scott. I was simply one element in this universal, homogeneous solution. Then a startling truth became known: This is death.

I was instantly overcome with the most paralyzing, all-consuming terror imaginable. As my ego struggled to regain control, I became separated from the mandala and spiraled down into darkness. I knew I was dead and this was eternity. There was no possibility of return, because all things exist in the mandala, and I was far away from it, in the void, in hell. I had visions of my children growing up without a father, of the machine of Western society turning them into materialistic consumer-drones because I am not there to guide them. I saw my friends and family shaking their heads and sighing, saying, "What a tragedy," then continuing on with their lives as if I had never existed.

I would exist only as a memory. This fear was the fiber of my being. I experienced this for what seemed like months or years; there is really no time in that dimension, so it could have been an eon. Finally I realized that my body was not dead and I could return to it and my children, friends, and family. I remembered: I wasn't dead permanently, I had simply smoked DMT. I became aware of my body once again, my eyes snapped open, and the objects of the physical world hurriedly jumped into their places in my field of vision, as if they did not expect me to be observing them at that moment, and frantically scrambled back to the places I expected them to be when I opened my eyes.

Everything was normal and tangible again. I have never been so grateful to be here, in this body, alive and breathing, as I was in that moment. Life-affirming is a gross understatement. I had been reborn. I shouted out a tearful "Thank you" to the cosmos, because I realized that each moment is a divine gift to be cherished, and I knew I would never again take my life for granted; I would live each moment as if it were my last.
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nihil-ist on August 27, 2015, 07:01:42 PM
I know you guys are really skeptical of this stuff. I was too then I kept reading "trip" reports and couldn't help but what to learn more. My thirst is insatiable for learning.

http://www.serendipity.li/dmt/340_dmt_trip_reports.htm
Basically I had a experience similar to this one.
You really do remind me of a new convert; much like a sports fanatic is called a 'fan'.  You are somebody who has discovered a new toy and you love it so much you want to share it.  That is a good thing.  But, because that toy interests you does not mean it will interest anybody else or to the extent you are interested.  You cannot 'convert' anyone here to your new toy.  Your outlook is good for you and it seems to work extremely well.  Over time, it may work out well for you--or not.  If I thought your experience would help me, I'd use it.  But I don't need that type of help or experience.  Something else I've learned in my later years is that something that worked for me in my 20's or 30's may not work now; my interests have changed, my needs have changed and my outlook has changed.  If, by some happenstance of time travel, I were to find myself in the same room with myself of my 20's, I may not even recognize myself.  I'd be different, that's for sure.  So, maybe soft peddling your new found knowledge would get you farther.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Nihil-ist

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 27, 2015, 07:59:46 PM
You really do remind me of a new convert; much like a sports fanatic is called a 'fan'.  You are somebody who has discovered a new toy and you love it so much you want to share it.  That is a good thing.  But, because that toy interests you does not mean it will interest anybody else or to the extent you are interested.  You cannot 'convert' anyone here to your new toy.  Your outlook is good for you and it seems to work extremely well.  Over time, it may work out well for you--or not.  If I thought your experience would help me, I'd use it.  But I don't need that type of help or experience.  Something else I've learned in my later years is that something that worked for me in my 20's or 30's may not work now; my interests have changed, my needs have changed and my outlook has changed.  If, by some happenstance of time travel, I were to find myself in the same room with myself of my 20's, I may not even recognize myself.  I'd be different, that's for sure.  So, maybe soft peddling your new found knowledge would get you farther.

You make a good point. I just find these experiences produce a repeatable  "meaning of life" type feeling even if you don't believe there is such a thing.
If you don't know these things have a rich history of use. Some of the great Greeks took part in the eleusinian mysteries. They drank a beverage know as kykeon.
One theory is it contained purified LSA made from ergot. Reports of the kykeon mirror a lot of modern reports of trips.
Even animals are known to eat these substances on purpose.
https://youtu.be/OqGDv0KCJl8

https://www.google.com/search?q=elusiousen+mistories&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=eleusinian+mysteries+initiation
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleusinian_Mysteries#Entheogenic_theories
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"

Baruch

Pharmacological cults are as old as religion.  Sharing mead and soma were used to propagate the migration of Indo-Europeans.  But all of this is just jiggering the molecules you already have in your brain.  You can generate your own trips without chemical assistance, just saying.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 27, 2015, 12:39:31 PM
I don't need psychedelic experiences to live a full life of wonder and beauty. You don't either.
No, but to be fair it would probably be an interesting experience.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

A Sea of Red

The Abrahamic religions are very authoritarian in nature to an extent they want to create police states that treat their beliefs as the law. Christianity, Islam and even Judaism are not just philosophies that have some 'woo' to them. They have doctrines that call for war, genocide, racism, sexism, ant-gay, and ridiculous irrational doctrines that teach people to not trust scientific and philosophical inquiry.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Janism and such certainly teach things that have no basis in the empirical world, but they don't create dogmas that are a menace to civilization; at least not to the extent of the Big Three. And their moral teachings certainly are not nearly as repugnant as the major monotheisms. So it's not exactly on the top of the agenda list for most Humanists and Naturalists.

That's my take.

surreptitious57

Buddha instructed his students to assume nothing but question everything. This included his own teachings. Buddhists
believe too that psychological dependence in the form of cravings lies at the heart of all human suffering. And that the
path to enlightenment is reached through eliminating such negative desires. And Jainists believe in the principle of non
violence to the point where they would rather lay down their own life than inflict any physical harm upon someone else
through self defence. These virtues are morally superior to the ones commonly associated with the Abrahamics. Where
obedience to God is a central tenet of all three. And so where questioning his authority is not the done thing. Buddhists
do not even believe in God. So comparing the two sets of religions is false equivalence. For they are not the same at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

peacewithoutgod

When I was in college, I saw my dorm mates trip. They didn't experience this sitting on their asses, safe in their rooms, no - they went running through the dorm, and then running through the street. Why should they not, anyway? The more you move around, and the more places you go while tripping, the more you get out of it, right? Only problem is raised by Aitm's example. When you literally don't know whether you're coming or going, then how can you be sure you aren't harming other people, much less that you have the consent of the chick you're trying to fuck?
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Baruch

Prime example of self-tripping:
http://wondergressive.com/death-solved-by-vestigial-gland/

Of course the pineal gland is associated with the third eye of Shiva.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: surreptitious57 on August 28, 2015, 05:35:28 AM
Buddha instructed his students to assume nothing but question everything. This included his own teachings.
I don't know why some will bring this up as if it portays Buddhism as something reasonable and not full of woo when it is filled with supernatural woo. And by the way the Buddha did not really say such a thing. He asked them to test not question his teaching. In a nutshell he basically said is for his students to find out for themselves whether his Dharma works. Paul of Taurus pretty much said the same thing about his own teachings.

QuoteBuddhists
believe too that psychological dependence in the form of cravings lies at the heart of all human suffering. And that the
path to enlightenment is reached through eliminating such negative desires. And Jainists believe in the principle of non
violence to the point where they would rather lay down their own life than inflict any physical harm upon someone else
through self defence. These virtues are morally superior to the ones commonly associated with the Abrahamics.
Please define this "morally superior" bit.

QuoteBuddhists
do not even believe in God.

Tell that to the Dalai Lama. Buddhist do not believe in a creator god, it doesn't mean that they don't believe in gods as many Buddhists do beleive in gods and Devas and "Hungry Ghost".

QuoteSo comparing the two sets of religions is false equivalence. For they are not the same at all

Except where they are the same.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Baruch

Well if you believe in pacifism .... then the Christians were pacifist until Constantine came along.  But since then, only individual Christians are pacifist ... not most of the sects.  In that way through most of its history, Buddhism has also been pacifist (but the Sangha only, the laity not so much) ... excepting periods that resemble Constantinian Rome.  Pacifist movements are usually considered treasonous.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.