Is there enough time for SPECIATION for million species

Started by drkfuture, July 30, 2015, 04:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Then by your argument nothing is artificial, since people are natural and anything people do is too. Do you see the circular logic there? It's like saying if people eat food, then all things that eat food are people. I’m not arguing that humans do not possess radical powers over transforming the natural world and pretty much any creature in it. That’s obvious. I’m merely arguing that just because people are natural doesn’t make the things they do natural.

Iron occurs naturally in the crust of the Earth, but it doesn’t magically transform itself into a Toyota Corolla engine block without human intervention, just like wolves exist naturally but wouldn’t become Chihuahuas without intervention. Of course evolution can happen through artificial means (particularly in agricultural crops) but that doesn’t mean the selection isn’t artificial.

It may seem like semantics to say there is a difference between natural and artificial selection since all species impact the outcomes of other species in some way. The difference is that naturally, nature will exclusively favor those with the greatest reproductive success based on heritable differences. And that’s every single time, EXCEPT for when people interfere. Chihuahuas are only reproductively successful because people enable them to be. We shelter and feed them and enable them to breed. Hell, their hips have become so narrow that some Chihuahua bitches can’t even whelp naturally and require a C-section, which makes them more prone to eating their own young. It’s like Chihuahuas are begging us to take them out of the equation, but we just keep churning them out because, fuck it, they’re adorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on August 04, 2015, 11:04:52 AM
I have a puppy that is half Italian Greyhound and Chihuahua that happened naturally. Also, the breeding of dogs is natural selection because we are part of evolutionary change. We are not separate from nature, and will probably cause the extinction of all life on earth sooner or later because of survival of the fittest with the last breeder praying.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers