News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Question for Christians

Started by VaasMontenegro, March 12, 2013, 06:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaasMontenegro

I have a question for Christians. Since God is so loving, according to them, how do they justify the statistics compared to Satan? In the Bible Satan kills only 10 people. God kills Millions. Please justify yourselves.
"I\'m not a schemer. I just try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are."

Davka

I'm an ex-Christian. What I would have answered is that the devil actually killed all of those people, by tempting them to be so evil that God could no longer tolerate their existence.

I have lots more cop-outs where that one came from, feel free to ask!

Plu

QuoteI have lots more cop-outs where that one came from, feel free to ask!

How can an all-loving god no longer tolerate someone's existance? Even parents have more love for their kids, and some of them are horrible.

Davka

Quote from: "Plu"

How can an all-loving god no longer tolerate someone's existance? Even parents have more love for their kids, and some of them are horrible.
It has to do with God's character. God is all light, there is no darkness in him. God is so pure, so good, so perfect, that anything imperfect and sinful is destroyed simply by being in God's presence. Kind of like King Midas couldn't ever hug anyone without turning them to gold, God cannot save imperfect people without burning them to smithereens by the sheer intensity of his perfection.

When people become so completely corrupt that God (who is all-knowing) knows that they will never, ever turn away from evil, he has to decide whether or not it's safe to even leave them alive any more. After all, they're destined to burn horribly for eternity anyways, it doesn't really matter if they die today or 50 years from today. But if they're going to corrupt the godly people with their horrific evil nastiness, God pretty much has to just go ahead and fry them before they totally fuck everything up, now doesn't he?

Now stop asking questions before you piss God off.

VaasMontenegro

Quote from: "Davka"

It has to do with God's character. God is all light, there is no darkness in him. God is so pure, so good, so perfect, that anything imperfect and sinful is destroyed simply by being in God's presence. Kind of like King Midas couldn't ever hug anyone without turning them to gold, God cannot save imperfect people without burning them to smithereens by the sheer intensity of his perfection.

When people become so completely corrupt that God (who is all-knowing) knows that they will never, ever turn away from evil, he has to decide whether or not it's safe to even leave them alive any more. After all, they're destined to burn horribly for eternity anyways, it doesn't really matter if they die today or 50 years from today. But if they're going to corrupt the godly people with their horrific evil nastiness, God pretty much has to just go ahead and fry them before they totally fuck everything up, now doesn't he?

If God is all-knowing, surely he would know beforehand that these people would become intolerable to him and would never have allowed then to existed?

And I'm not entirely sure that God can justify the killing of innocent children and babies. Flooding the earth and killing millions of people just because a few of them pissed you off? Not justified.
"I\'m not a schemer. I just try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are."

Sleeper

Quote from: "VaasMontenegro"I have a question for Christians. Since God is so loving, according to them, how do they justify the statistics compared to Satan? In the Bible Satan kills only 10 people. God kills Millions. Please justify yourselves.

QuoteIf God is all-knowing, surely he would know beforehand that these people would become intolerable to him and would never have allowed then to existed?

And I'm not entirely sure that God can justify the killing of innocent children and babies. Flooding the earth and killing millions of people just because a few of them pissed you off? Not justified.
This is easy. Everyone from conception on is a depraved sinner worthy of hell. So it's not wrong of God to kill children or anyone - it's merciful that he allows them to live in the first place.

Seriously, this is orthodox Christianity. This is what the Bible teaches. People in my old tradition actually believed that God would be justified in sending us to hell the moment we're born.

I miss them.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Jesus

Are you playing Devil's advocate? Oh boy, I'd love for a go at this!

QuoteGod is so pure, so good, so perfect, that anything imperfect and sinful is destroyed simply by being in God's presence.
- According to this piece of logic, Moses should have shriveled up in pieces when God revealed himself to the great savior of the Jews. Provided he had to close his eyes, God still graced Moses with his presence. Did God simply restrain the amount of holiness that was emitting from his holy shrine in Heaven? I'd like an answer that can be derived literally from the Bible. No "Oh, I think God would have ..." stuff. If it's not written in the Bible, then it counts as an assumption.

QuoteWhen people become so completely corrupt that God (who is all-knowing) knows that they will never, ever turn away from evil
- He created man in his image. Some people cannot choose to transform into a better person. In fact, habits die hard and turning from a horrid person to a better person is quite the task. On top of that, converting from a non-Christian to a Christian is yet another difficult step. All provided in a small window of opportunity God has given us. We have approximately 80-100 years of life, and many people do not even reach that age because of cancer, accidents, murders, and war.

QuoteAfter all, they're destined to burn horribly for eternity anyways, it doesn't really matter if they die today or 50 years from today.
- Wait ... for a God who's fair and just, why would some of his creations start off un-salvageable? It defeats the whole purpose of being saved by Jesus Christ.

QuoteBut if they're going to corrupt the godly people with their horrific evil nastiness, God pretty much has to just go ahead and fry them before they totally fuck everything up, now doesn't he?
- God is great.
I like to appear in various forms, but my favorite is as a toast.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Sleeper"This is easy. Everyone from conception on is a depraved sinner worthy of hell. So it's not wrong of God to kill children or anyone - it's merciful that he allows them to live in the first place.

Seriously, this is orthodox Christianity. This is what the Bible teaches. People in my old tradition actually believed that God would be justified in sending us to hell the moment we're born.
*jaw drops*  That's so evil that it actually makes other forms of evil seem tame by comparison.

There's actually a quote in Warhammer 40k along those lines: "Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!"  And that's from a dystopian nightmare.  Your average soccer mom thinking this way...  *shudders*

Jesus

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Sleeper"This is easy. Everyone from conception on is a depraved sinner worthy of hell. So it's not wrong of God to kill children or anyone - it's merciful that he allows them to live in the first place.

*jaw drops*  That's so evil that it actually makes other forms of evil seem tame by comparison.

There's actually a quote in Warhammer 40k along those lines: "Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live!"  And that's from a dystopian nightmare.  Your average soccer mom thinking this way...  *shudders*

It's twisted.
I like to appear in various forms, but my favorite is as a toast.

Paradox

Quote from: "VaasMontenegro"I have a question for Christians. Since God is so loving, according to them, how do they justify the statistics compared to Satan? In the Bible Satan kills only 10 people. God kills Millions. Please justify yourselves.

The emphasis in an all loving God is not all that common in more traditional Christian teachings. It is much more common for Christians to teach that God has an overabundance of love for his selected peoples... Predestination theology easily thrusts God onto a pedestal of patriarchal love no unlike an ancient father portrayed slaying thousands of outsiders to save his own family or village or what have you. Or even if the Christian teaching falls in line with more of an Arminian type theology they justify God's rash decision making with the very idea of free will. One chooses to be in God's family, anyone outside of that deserves no protection from the wicked or is immune to God's wrath.

The Christians today that commonly claim the Christian God is an all loving God is wrapped up in a more politically correct (or at least one that is attempting to be) Christianity.

I hold the opinion that if there is a God in existence similar to the in Abrahamic traditions, his chosen ones writing about him have either done an awful job recording history or he is showing his qualities in the most round about way possible...

Johan

Quote from: "Davka"God cannot save imperfect people without burning them to smithereens by the sheer intensity of his perfection.
Same thing happens to me anytime I try to cook something.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hydra009"

I just......um.........there's not a..............  but............  but doesn't........ I can't............even.

eesh
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

leo

The Christian god and the Muslim god is a dictator .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

summerinx

God cannot? What happened to the part about him being the almighty God?

Colanth

Quote from: "summerinx"
Quote from: "Plu"How can an all-loving god no longer tolerate someone's existance? Even parents have more love for their kids, and some of them are horrible.

God cannot? What happened to the part about him being the almighty God?
He's all-powerful, but that doesn't mean that he can do anything that would contradict any Biblical assertion.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.