News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

favorite historical figure?

Started by redpaint417, August 12, 2015, 04:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocoa Beware

Archimedes. He coined Eureka!

Had the jist of calculus 2000 years before Liebniz. He also came up with Pi through his method of exhaustion, which I imagine took a lot of work. Unfortunately, I believe much of his other work was lost.

We should have an Archimedes day where we all run around wet and naked.

Termin

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on August 13, 2015, 06:04:53 PM
Archimedes. He coined Eureka!

Had the jist of calculus 2000 years before Liebniz. He also came up with Pi through his method of exhaustion, which I imagine took a lot of work. Unfortunately, I believe much of his other work was lost.

We should have an Archimedes day where we all run around wet and naked.

And screw, don't forget screw :)
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Termin on August 13, 2015, 09:16:18 PM
And screw, don't forget screw :)

Those are just my personal favorites; I thought the way he derived Pi was ridiculously ingenious.

He excelled in many areas, which is another reason Im a huge fan.

Green Bottle

For me it's got to be  William Wallace...

Wallace Monument,   Stirling.
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Munch

My bfs apartment has a great view over stirling, and can see the monument in the distance from their window. Didn't get to see it, but neither of them are big history buffs so didn't want to drive there.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Termin

I'm Scottish on my Mother's Side, so I , like many others of Scottish descent, claim him as an Ancestor :)
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Hijiri Byakuren

Buddha Constantine the Great. Yes, I'm fucking serious. The Romans were, oh how do I put this politely... assholes in the first degree. They didn't have a great scientific tradition to speak of, their education system was atrocious, and they wanted everyone else to be like them. Constantine's spreading of Christianity created conditions where Romans couldn't tolerate differing beliefs, causing the empire to fracture and allowing civilizations like the Arabians and Central Asians to start the scientific development that eventually snowballed into what we call the Enlightenment.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 14, 2015, 07:39:36 PM
Buddha Constantine the Great. Yes, I'm fucking serious. The Romans were, oh how do I put this politely... assholes in the first degree. They didn't have a great scientific tradition to speak of, their education system was atrocious, and they wanted everyone else to be like them. Constantine's spreading of Christianity created conditions where Romans couldn't tolerate differing beliefs, causing the empire to fracture and allowing civilizations like the Arabians and Central Asians to start the scientific development that eventually snowballed into what we call the Enlightenment.
I have no problem with that, m-fer pretty much changed the world.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 14, 2015, 07:39:36 PM

I figure he might have just been taking advantage of the situation to consolidate his power by appealing to what was at the time a popular movement.

Who knows, he may not have believed in any of it, his ends being entirely manipulative. Devising the rules of the cosmos to suit your personal interests would have been a fantastic way to control a population.

The Bible is so horribly written, spliced together haphazardly they must have been in a terrible hurry. This doesn't matter if you claim the author is divine, however.

We see this theme many times in history, Mesoamerica, Egypt, everywhere.

surreptitious57

Isaac Newton. Now the word genius is one of the most misappropriated in the entire English language but he was
definitely one. He discovered the formula for gravity. He discovered the property of light. He co invented calculus
He invented the telescope. He wrote one of the greatest science books of all time. For Mathematica Principia is to
physics what Origins Of Species is to biology. And when he worked at the Royal Mint he improved productivity by
making the workers slow down so that that their rate of production was in synch with their heartbeat. He is held
in higher regard amongst  physicists than Einstein is. Without a shadow of doubt one of the greatest minds ever
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

peacewithoutgod

Here's another: Christopher Hitchens! I miss that one.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

drunkenshoe

Can't decide on one. How do you guys just pick one like that?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Picking one isn't possible.
But two--okay.
Procopio produced the first 'ice cream' for the masses at his cafe in Paris.  One does not get any more heroic than that.  But a close second would be Babe Ruth, who invented modern day baseball.  Baseball and ice cream!  And a hot dog and a coke.  (Keep the beer--boiled elephant piss--and garlic fries to yourself).  Yes!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 15, 2015, 11:16:24 AM
Can't decide on one. How do you guys just pick one like that?
First one that comes to mind. Now Ghengis Khan was not a great human being, but what he did in that era is spectacular. If we can overlook the brutality and pure "evil" that he brought with him in him being the original "scorched earth policy" he was an incredible leader. Unfortunately he also belongs in the same genre as Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao and Hitler so having him as a favorite historical figure maybe a worser indication of my upbringing as well. ;[
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on August 15, 2015, 02:06:40 PM
First one that comes to mind. Now Ghengis Khan was not a great human being, but what he did in that era is spectacular. If we can overlook the brutality and pure "evil" that he brought with him in him being the original "scorched earth policy" he was an incredible leader. Unfortunately he also belongs in the same genre as Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao and Hitler so having him as a favorite historical figure maybe a worser indication of my upbringing as well. ;[

That mongol-turkic monster?! Killed how many milions of people again? Estimated 30 or 40 million people it said somewhere. 10 % of the world population at his time. Lol, you nutter. You just admire the power he wielded I guess. Did you read about him as kid for the first time?

Would it sound weird, if I told you there wasn't a name popped into my mind, but some series of criteria I just wanted to be filled. These games are not for me, I just suck at it. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp