News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

atheist almost a majority in Quebec?

Started by nican, March 12, 2013, 11:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nican

I thought it was interesting and a good new. In Qubec only 37% of young between 18-34 years old believe in god. Only 59% of the general population do.

If we go 9% under, the believers are going to be a minority in the province. To my knowledge, this could be the only place in North America where it would be so. I found those number in a newspapergiving the result of a poll conducted to see among Quebeckers what was their reaction at the possibility of Marc Ouellet (a priest from there) to become the next pope.

If I translate the first paragraphe of this article, it says:

"The Quebecquers see with a good opinion the reign of Benoit XVI who will be leaving his post at the end of the month and they also view positively the election of Marc Ouellet as his successor (...) but this opinion may also hide a definitive escape from religion. Even if the catholic church were to be more flexible on some of its conservative positions, like the ordination of women or allowing gay priests, this would not push the majority of those who answered the poll to get closer to the institution. Worse, only 37% of the youth between 18 and 34 says they believe in god, a little bit more then those who say the opposite. Comparatively, 68% of the young American of the same age do not doubt the existence of god.

(...)

One Quebecker on seven believe that the public institution should offer place to all religion, when 49% think it should be only the catholic religion and 35% want a strict laicity. The crucifix at the national assembly is the symbol that receive the less approbation (41%) and religious events like christmas and easter are important for 71% of them. The baptism is important for 64% of them."

okay, this is a really quick translation, and the rest is some blabla that is not really interesting to those who are not leaving in Quebec, so I will spare you.
But what is interesting, is that I think that United states is going to a phase that was similar to the quebec one fifty years ago. There was at the time (1950) a lot of intervention of church in politics and a lot of religious extremism in the public debates. People left massively the church and the result is that, a few decades later, the unbelievers are a majority among the youth and almost a majority in the general population.

Of course, we have to keep in mind that the poll that gives these result was only with 800 people answering and that of course quebec is relatively spare with the religious frenesy in north america, because it speaks french. But I thought that hose number could be seen as a sign of hope.

Mathieu Perreault
Mathieu Perreault
La Presse

Les Québécois voient d'un oeil plutôt favorable le pontificat de Benoît XVI, qui quittera son poste à la fin du mois, ainsi que l'élection possible du cardinal Marc Ouellet comme son successeur, malgré les controverses qui ont entouré son passage comme archevêque de Québec.

>>> Consultez l'ensemble du sondage CROP-La Presse

Mais cette opinion cache peut-être un éloignement définitif de la religion. L'assouplissement des rigidités souvent reprochées à l'Église - à l'égard de l'avortement, de la contraception, des homosexuels et de l'ordination des femmes - ne parviendrait pas à pousser une majorité de répondants à se rapprocher de l'Église. Pire, seulement 37% des jeunes adultes de 18 à 34 ans disent croire en l'existence de Dieu, à peine plus que ceux qui disent le contraire. En comparaison, chez les jeunes Américains, 68% ne doutent pas de l'existence de Dieu, selon l'institut de recherche Pew.

Le curé Raymond Gravel, du diocèse de Joliette, est découragé par les résultats du sondage CROP-La Presse. «On dirait que ça n'intéresse plus les gens», dit l'abbé Gravel, qui a souvent réclamé un assouplissement de la morale sexuelle catholique. «Ils veulent un pape plus libéral, mais en même temps, ils sont satisfaits de Benoît XVI et voient plutôt d'un bon oeil que Marc Ouellet devienne pape. Ce n'est pas cohérent, les gens ne semblent pas beaucoup réfléchir à ces questions.»

Yuri Rivest, vice-président chez CROP, estime que la démission de Benoît XVI «est un signe de modernité qui explique probablement ces résultats plutôt favorables pour le pape». Près de 95% des Québécois approuvent le départ du pape. Quant au faible nombre de Québécois (11%) qui verraient d'un mauvais oeil l'élection du cardinal Ouellet comme pape, M. Rivest l'explique par «la fierté des Québécois quand l'un des leurs réussit à l'étranger. Céline est admirée même par ceux qui n'aiment pas sa musique».

Cela ne conforte pas l'abbé Gravel. «Si les Québécois ne se souviennent pas de ce qu'ils pensaient de Benoît XVI la semaine dernière et qu'ils voient Mgr Ouellet comme Céline Dion, ce n'est pas très sérieux. Normalement, nos croyances religieuses devraient être plus réfléchies.»

Le faible nombre d'opposants au cardinal Ouellet est-il dû au fait qu'il est à Rome depuis 2010 et que les gens ont oublié les controverses qui ont marqué son épiscopat? «Peut-être, mais ce n'est pas nécessairement une mauvaise chose, dit M. Rivest. Quoi qu'il en soit, le cardinal Ouellet part avec une ardoise vierge.»

Que penser du faible nombre de Québécois qui ne s'intéresseraient pas davantage à l'Église en cas de pontificat québécois? «Paradoxalement, je crois que Mgr Ouellet serait content s'il lisait ces chiffres», dit Philippe Vaillancourt, qui gère le site d'actualité catholique Crayon et goupillon. «Pour l'Église, c'est le Christ qui doit convertir, pas le pape.»

Détail intéressant, la proportion de Québécois qui préféreraient un pape plus conservateur est plus élevée dans la population en général (9%) que chez les catholiques (3%). Cela est probablement dû à l'influence des communautés ethniques, généralement plus conservatrices, selon M. Rivest.

Le crucifix de l'Assemblée

Un Québécois sur sept (16%) croit que les institutions publiques devraient faire de la place à toutes les religions, alors que 49% voudraient uniquement des références catholiques et 35% une laïcité stricte. Le crucifix à l'Assemblée nationale est le symbole qui reçoit le moins d'approbation (41%), et les fêtes religieuses comme Noël et Pâques (71%) et le baptême (64%) sont les symboles religieux auxquels les Québécois sont les plus attachés.

Cinquante ans après la Révolution tranquille, l'impact de l'Église catholique sur la société québécoise est jugé positivement par 55% des Québécois, et une faible majorité croit que l'Église a «protégé et façonné l'identité québécoise» plutôt que d'être «un frein et un handicap».

http://www.lapresse.ca/vivre/societe/20 ... erents.php

AllPurposeAtheist

My grandfather, from Quebec was Catholic and spoke French, but he, like me couldn't read it. He was illiterate. He illegally emigrated to the US.. I wonder if I should call the INS and get deported back. :P
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

One more reason to like Québec I guess.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gerard

That'what happens to generally Catholic area's in the western world......

Still I hear a Canadian Cardinal is one of the front runners for Pope!

Gerard

nican

Quote from: "Gerard"That'what happens to generally Catholic area's in the western world......

Still I hear a Canadian Cardinal is one of the front runners for Pope!

Gerard

Yes, you are write, and this is why they conducted this poll, to see what was the reaction of Quebeckers with the perspectives of seeing one of them being the new pope. Many say they were interested, but a lot are also indifferent.

In Quebec, they seldomly talk of religion, so we rarely see anything on the subject.

One funny line in this article is that one of the guy who conducted the poll analyze the Quebeckers are happy seeing one of them succeed in the Church even though they are not interested in it like they are happy with the success of Celine Dion even those who do not like her music. And one priest is saying, when asked about this comparison: well this is not really serious, if Quebeckers see marc ouellet (the papabili from quebec) as Celine Dion, it's not okay. Religious opinions have to be more profound than that.

I must confess this put funny images in my mind.

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"My grandfather, from Quebec was Catholic and spoke French, but he, like me couldn't read it. He was illiterate. He illegally emigrated to the US.. I wonder if I should call the INS and get deported back. :P

Well, you are welcome anytime! I would not say Quebec is  the best place in the world, but it's not the worst place to live either. It's a decent place to live.