Hatchet Attack in Tennessee Theatre, Suspect Dead

Started by Shiranu, August 05, 2015, 09:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 07, 2015, 10:00:54 PM
It's nothing more than a local news item.

Professionals of knowing what type of story sells and what doesn't disagree with you.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 07, 2015, 11:06:37 PM
Professionals of knowing what type of story sells and what doesn't disagree with you.
Simply because they chose to hype it. "Slow News Day" syndrome.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SilentFutility

It's even worse of a problem if someone walking into a public place with several weapons and attacking people with them is considered to be too common and normal of an occurrence to be newsworthy...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SilentFutility on August 09, 2015, 06:41:42 AM
It's even worse of a problem if someone walking into a public place with several weapons and attacking people with them is considered to be too common and normal of an occurrence to be newsworthy...
Does it rate the national news when some loon goes nuts? Would Walter Cronkite have mentioned this or did he have much more important news to relate?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Don't listen to the media! If we ban hatchets, only outlaws will have hatchets!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 09, 2015, 01:11:00 PM
Don't listen to the media! If we ban hatchets, only outlaws will have hatchets!
Or Molly.
PZ Myers

FinalSomnia

I say this as a man who was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and who spent the first 8 years of his life in the state... Maybe we should just ban Tennessee?
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

SilentFutility

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 09, 2015, 07:14:31 AM
Does it rate the national news when some loon goes nuts? Would Walter Cronkite have mentioned this or did he have much more important news to relate?
I'm not familiar with him, as I'm not from the USA.

I maintain that a society in which someone killing or attempting to kill multiple people at once is enough of a regular occurrence to make the general public bored of hearing about it happening so often has a problem.

I've yet to hear anything of substance that contests that other than words to the effect of "it's no big deal".

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SilentFutility on August 10, 2015, 05:25:34 PM
I'm not familiar with him, as I'm not from the USA.

I maintain that a society in which someone killing or attempting to kill multiple people at once is enough of a regular occurrence to make the general public bored of hearing about it happening so often has a problem.

I've yet to hear anything of substance that contests that other than words to the effect of "it's no big deal".

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
The matter was dealt with, with no innocent people dying. But this whole thing counts as a hissy fit to me.
PZ Myers

SilentFutility

You might find the extent or the nature of media coverage to be out of proportion, but that doesn't mean that attempted mass murder isn't a problem.

Atheon

You can kill far more people with a gun than with a hatchet.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SilentFutility on August 23, 2015, 03:38:03 AM
You might find the extent or the nature of media coverage to be out of proportion, but that doesn't mean that attempted mass murder isn't a problem.
And there are enough of them every day that they don't warrant coverage in the US.
PZ Myers

Solitary

Quote from: FinalSomnia on August 09, 2015, 07:57:51 PM
I say this as a man who was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and who spent the first 8 years of his life in the state... Maybe we should just ban Tennessee?
Serious mode off! I lived in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Red Bank, and passed through Murfreesboro many times, even when older.  Ban the heart of the Land of Dixie? What are you, a turn coat Yankee ni---r lover? The South will rise again with the Battle Hymn of the Republic Yankee scum. KKK for ever, this is God's country, you heathen Jesus hater. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on August 31, 2015, 05:52:23 PM
Serious mode off! I lived in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Red Bank, and passed through Murfreesboro many times, even when older.  Ban the heart of the Land of Dixie? What are you, a turn coat Yankee ni---r lover? The South will rise again with the Battle Hymn of the Republic Yankee scum. KKK for ever, this is God's country, you heathen Jesus hater.
Yeah, you are describing me there, Sol. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

peacewithoutgod

That's the real problem, but the mentally ill don't just slip through the system in this country, they are completely ignored by it! Evidence of this is all over American streets, it's the overwhelming cause of homelessness.

Quote from: SilentFutility on August 06, 2015, 05:02:46 PM
There is a chance it was suicide by cop I guess.

From an outsider's perspective, this sort of thing seems like it is occurring extremely frequently in the US in the last couple of years. I do of course understand that it is a vast country with a huge population, but still.

Something really needs to be done, and not just one thing, because this isn't a one-dimensional problem. Simply banning something won't do it, simply educating people won't do it, etc. Ultimately, the people that carry out these attacks are seriously mentally ill and slipped through the system. If the infrastructure to identify those at risk and to treat people suffering from mental illness isn't there, then people will continue to suffer from mental illness, and some of them will go on to do mental things.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.