Flying Sphagetti monster - Greatest Atheist Straw man OAT

Started by mendacium remedium, March 11, 2013, 06:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mendacium remedium

Quite often we see people comparing belief in an underlying intelligence to our universe as akin to believing in mythical creatures, fairies, and one particularly mildly amusing comparison I have seen – lobsters!
However, is this a fair comparison?

If we examine fairies and 'flying spaghetti monsters' these are all contingent imaginary forms of existence. That is to say , unless someone specifically mentioned them, you would have absolutely no reason for believing in them. It is with this logic an atheist asserts 'God' too has absolutely no reason to be believed.

If we examine beliefs humans have held throughout history, although you see a variation of 'Gods', and a stronghold of monotheism, there has always been a belief that the stars, the universe, the cosmos, have originated by a transcendent , intelligence.

So while the flying spaghetti monster does question organized religion, it does not at all effect the universal understanding that has occurred throughout history, whereby humans on every corner of the planet have always believed that what manifests around them must have been caused by a reality which transcends them,  a reality which exists as a necessity of it's own existence.

Thus, it is only after we can understand the above, that someone may state "well fair enough, but you believe in Tom and Jerry to be this transcendent reality, I believe it is a flying spaghetti monster, so what makes you any more right than I am?"

What an atheist incorrectly does is labels the word 'God' to mean something totally imagined, rather than a universal and almost instinctive realisation of an underlying intelligence and transcendent cause of our universe.
Note, I have not tried to prove our universe must have a transcendent cause by argument. I have merely asserted on the surface, it seems as if our universe does have  a transcendent cause, and societies all throughout history have held a belief in such a reality.

Here is my thesis on the absolute need of having an underlying intelligence, outside of time and space: http://scientificphilosopher.wordpress. ... existence/
And here is a supplement article which also is of importance, after refutations of my thesis.

http://scientificphilosopher.wordpress. ... -argument/
http://scientificphilosopher.wordpress. ... universes/

http://scientificphilosopher.wordpress.com/
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran
Apostasy Islam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oKXh2oy8E[/url]

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

Davka

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"If we examine beliefs humans have held throughout history, although you see a variation of 'Gods', and a stronghold of monotheism, there has always been a belief that the stars, the universe, the cosmos, have originated by a transcendent , intelligence.
Wrong.

Sorry about that, but not only is the idea of a creator NOT universal, it's not even all that common. Most religions have a creation myth that assumes the Earth always existed in some form or another, and that the big deal is the introduction of humans.

Seriously, you should at least do a cursory study of comparative religions before embarrassing yourself like this.

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"If we examine beliefs humans have held throughout history, although you see a variation of 'Gods', and a stronghold of monotheism, there has always been a belief that the stars, the universe, the cosmos, have originated by a transcendent , intelligence.
Wrong.

Sorry about that, but not only is the idea of a creator NOT universal, it's not even all that common. Most religions have a creation myth that assumes the Earth always existed in some form or another, and that the big deal is the introduction of humans.

Seriously, you should at least do a cursory study of comparative religions before embarrassing yourself like this.

That is actually absolutely false. Almost all world religions have a belief that a transcendent reality created the universe. Even the greeks believed in their own transcendent realities.

Belief in some form of transcendent reality, irrespective of names or identity, has been universal with few exceptions.

That really is an abuse of 'most' religions, considering this is pretty common knowledge.

Furthermore, even if someone asserts that it was all 'God of the gaps'. This does not detract from the fact humans have always felt a need to ascribe what they saw around them to a higher, transcendent reality.

Although numbers are no indicator of truth, even today, the vast majority of people on earth believe in a transcendent reality , although it was greater the further we go back in the past.
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran
Apostasy Islam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oKXh2oy8E[/url]

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

antediluvian

So what!
Early peoples "on all corners of the planet" were ignorant and superstitious.  They made up stories about stuff they couldn't understand.....stars, universe, cosmos.   They believed their myths because that was all they knew.  Their "beliefs" didn't make it true.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

AllPurposeAtheist

We all evolved from teeth. The tooth fairy told me and the universe is made of ground giant teeth or the universe around us is really the inside of a giant cavity which explains why it's so dark except the stars which are really nothing more than a little light entering the giant's mouth when he or she opens it..
Damned..do I have to explain everything?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"What an atheist incorrectly does is labels the word 'God' to mean something totally imagined, rather than a universal and almost instinctive realisation of an underlying intelligence and transcendent cause of our universe.
And yet, that is exactly what is imagined.  That our universe has some sort of "intelligent and transcendent cause" (aka God).  And absent concrete evidence (you're going to have to do better than "Well, the Greeks believe in God.  Sort of.") for its existence, this "realization" of yours - presumably instilled in childhood - remains on very shaky ground.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "antediluvian"So what!
Early peoples "on all corners of the planet" were ignorant and superstitious.  They made up stories about stuff they couldn't understand.....stars, universe, cosmos.   They believed their myths because that was all they knew.  Their "beliefs" didn't make it true.
You obviously haven't read enough books about Santa.. It's in books so it must be true.. Then again so is Bugs Bunny the smart ass talking rabbit with a Brooklyn accent..  :roll:

Hydra009

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
You obviously haven't read enough books about Santa
Does most of the world believe in Santa?  If so, that almost certainly means it's true!

aitm

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"whereby humans on every corner of the planet have always believed that what manifests around them must have been caused by a reality which transcends them,  a reality which exists as a necessity of it's own existence.

Although numbers are no indicator of truth, even today, the vast majority of people on earth believe in a transcendent reality , although it was greater the further we go back in the past.

To the first, a cursory examination of the history of animism, totenism, and shamanism will give good clues as to the roots of religion.

To the second, you made my point as well as anyone could have, but do you understand the gravity of what you stated? The vast majority of people believe in a transcendent reality. Now, you ARE, I trust, of an education capable of realizing the tens of thousands of gods that humanity has invented. No? Are they not invented? Are they all real gods? Of course not, to you all but one are invented, to them, yours but not theirs. Be honest MR, that should be the only fact that a reasonable, rational, intelligent human needs, to claim otherwise, detracts severely from the three aforementioned traits.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
You obviously haven't read enough books about Santa
Does most of the world believe in Santa?  If so, that almost certainly means it's true!
Hey watch it buddy.. I'VE SEEN THINGS! Bugs Bunny cartoons just to name one of those things.. Next thing you know you'll try to discredit the notion sticking your finger in a loaded shotgun will make it blow up in the shooters face with no consequence to the one sticking his or her finger in the barrel.. :shock:

Minimalist

QuoteEarly peoples "on all corners of the planet" were ignorant and superstitious.

More amazing is that in the 21st century there seems to be no shortage of ignorant and superstitious god freaks.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Davka

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"
Quote from: "Davka"
Wrong.

That is actually absolutely false. Almost all world religions have a belief that a transcendent reality created the universe.
Bullshit.

Back up your claim or retract it.

Meanwhile, I'll show you how very, very wrong you are:

Creation Myths

La Dolce Vita

At this point I'm thinking you're a troll simply spamming the site with nonsense for your own amusement, and you're likely an atheists already. But if not, you're either:

A. Ignorant
B. Lying
C. A moron
D. All of the above

Let us go through the arguments and see why.  :wink:

QuoteQuite often we see people comparing belief in an underlying intelligence to our universe as akin to believing in mythical creatures, fairies, and one particularly mildly amusing comparison I have seen – lobsters!

Right off the bat you are lying. You see, most gods that people believe in are mythical figures. They are not an obscure intelligence, they have character traits, defined personalities, commands and many also have a well described appearance. Believing in one random mythical creature is not really different from believing in another. How is comparing belief in mythical creatures to belief in mythical creature incorrect.

Of course, if you're a deist, you don't believe in a mythical creature. This is also a problem. There's no real definition for what a god is. We can only discuss it when the believer have defined whatever random unsupported nonsense they build their lives around.

QuoteIf we examine fairies and 'flying spaghetti monsters' these are all contingent imaginary forms of existence. That is to say , unless someone specifically mentioned them, you would have absolutely no reason for believing in them. It is with this logic an atheist asserts 'God' too has absolutely no reason to be believed.

Correct, and it's rock solid because the same applies to gods.

QuoteIf we examine beliefs humans have held throughout history, although you see a variation of 'Gods', and a stronghold of monotheism, there has always been a belief that the stars, the universe, the cosmos, have originated by a transcendent , intelligence.

Or rather mythical creatures who write books(have books written and loves to rape and murder people.

QuoteSo while the flying spaghetti monster does question organized religion, it does not at all effect the universal understanding that has occurred throughout history, whereby humans on every corner of the planet have always believed that what manifests around them must have been caused by a reality which transcends them, a reality which exists as a necessity of it's own existence.

This is not the case. Most god(s) have been thought to phycically exist on other planes and/or be capable of interacting with people. They are some kind of concious entity, not an obscure force, and they often had petty quarrels over sex and land. Sure, nonsense like transcendence might be used as the magical reason to try to get people to think the nonsense they are selling is possible.

QuoteWhat an atheist incorrectly does is labels the word 'God' to mean something totally imagined

Correction: Most likely imagined. 99.999% of all god(s)/religions cannot be right. Only 1 has the possibility to. But as we know 99.999% are fake and got strong believers and "revelations" despite of this" cances are that this 1 potentially true religion is just as fake.

Quoterather than a universal and almost instinctive realisation of an underlying intelligence and transcendent cause of our universe.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Dumbest shit you can read. Troll, troll, troll.

Though we have revolved to find patterns and think that actions are taken by actors, as this helped us run away from tigers. Aside from that: LOL

QuoteNote, I have not tried to prove our universe must have a transcendent cause by argument.

Yeah ... sure ...

QuoteI have merely asserted on the surface, it seems as if our universe does have a transcendent cause

If you can explain why it seems like that we will take you seriously. Your assertion is simply wrong as nothing suggests as and the top scientists who knows this shit don't find any reason to think so. Your next post should be explaining why this is so obvious when no evidence or logical arguments can be found. At least I haven't seen any.

Quoteand societies all throughout history have held a belief in such a reality.

Incorrect. They believed in macho men and sexy ladies fucking on the top of mountains while riding cool horses and occasionally messing with humans if they weren't praised enough.

I might read your thesis at another time. But if it's as dumb as this shit I don't know if I'll bother, and looking at your other posts I bet it is.

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

GurrenLagann

MR, Do you know what mockery is? If so, then you (again) wasted your time with another thread.

Unless you and Bennyboy have to decided to debate, I'd like to set one up with you. I'd rather not another missed opportunity pass with you at the very least seeming to slide away the moment someone (bennyboy) unambiguously agrees to take you on.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens