News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 30, 2015, 12:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

I'm enjoying Windows 10. There are still minor things that need to be ironed out but it is a more polished, cohesive experience than 8.1.

trdsf

Okay, it's official, Windows 10 is now undisputably evil.

I mean, seriously, charging an annual subscription fee to play Solitaire without a forced 30-second video ad between every game.  To say nothing of secretly downloading 10 onto the machines of 7 and 8 users and forced updates that cannot be declined at all.

The first part should be the most worrisome: MS didn't give away Win10 to be 'nice'.  The plan, as far as I can see, is to nickel and dime every Windows user to death.  Windows Media Player?  Gone.  There's a DVD player that will only play commercial DVDs, not DVD+/-Rs, and they plan to eventually charge for that, too.

Sounds like being told that you're going to be given a new car, only to find out that you've been given a new chassis, and if you want any extras -- like doors, seats, safety glass, a paint job -- oh, *that* is going to cost extra.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

I don't see these fees anywhere.

trdsf

Did you follow the link I provided?  It's right there in the fourth paragraph.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

6 features disappearing in Windows 10 and how to replace them

Yeah, it was disappointing to find out about Solitaire (though it is something of a relief to find MS acting more like one would expect them to.  The devil you know...) but it's not like MS has a lock on the solitaire market.  There are literally dozens of solitaire websites and downloadable software to get your solitaire fix.  Not much of a deal-breaker.

I've checked my system and there is indeed a beefy ~6GB hidden $Windows BT directory here.  Though I did "reserve" my copy of Windows 10.  Meh.

Windows Media Player is hot garbage and won't be missed.  And since the year is no longer 2005, I will not be needing DVD software.  But, in the off chance that I find my old copy of Matrix Reloaded, I could always use 3rd party software to play it.  I would probably do that anyway.

And as of yet, there is no sign that the core functionality of Windows 10 will cost a dime for the users who went with the Windows 10 upgrade.

Sal1981

Quote from: trdsf on August 06, 2015, 08:27:26 PM
Did you follow the link I provided?  It's right there in the fourth paragraph.
I mean in Windows 10. I checked out that Solitaire Collection, and I didn't see the fees there. I did see stuff on sale in the Windows Store though.

pato15

Did I somehow miss Windows 9?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

Hydra009

Quote from: pato15 on August 09, 2015, 01:10:23 AM
Did I somehow miss Windows 9?

Some poorly-written 3rd party software checks if the Windows version starts with a 9 and would confuse 9 with 95 or 98.

So no, the MS people didn't forget how to count.  They just wanted their OS to launch without a crapton of issues.

pato15

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2015, 02:31:44 AM

Some poorly-written 3rd party software checks if the Windows version starts with a 9 and would confuse 9 with 95 or 98.

So no, the MS people didn't forget how to count.  They just wanted their OS to launch without a crapton of issues.
Thanks for the info! For some reason, I find that hilarious.

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

GSOgymrat

Windows 10 is said to be the "last version of Windows" meaning Microsoft is shifting the software to a "Windows as a service" model, as opposed to a piece of software you buy and more or less leave alone until the next model. The Windows software will run across multiple types of devices and be upgraded incrementally on an ongoing basis.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2015, 07:53:22 AM
Windows 8 is different, but that's not what makes it bad.  It almost looks like it was designed for the worst features of cell phones, like butt dialing.  There's constantly something popping up that I have absolutely no use for, not trying to activate, and wouldn't have put there in the first place.  I'm terrified when my mouse gets close to a corner of my screen, where an unwanted Microsoft intrusion is lurking, and it's not just an annoying popup that gets in the way.  Suddenly, I'm in an entirely new screen asking me stuff like what do I want to find?  Hell, I wasn't trying to find anything, you idiot.  I was trying to read the news.  An then if I do try to find something like a misplaced file, it takes me to some site on the internet (usually one that is trying to sell me something that I don't even know what it's for).

Given the direction that Microsoft seems to want its interface to go, I don't have confidence that
Windows 10 will be that good.  But we live in Microsoft's world and that's just the way things are going to be.  We are at the mercy of our Microsoft overlords.  They know what's best for us, even if we don't.  Just be thankful they haven't sent their armed jack boots to your door to take you away.
Sounds like the old dancing paper clip, "Clippy" revisited. I have Windows on my other drive partition, but Microsoft annoyances and horrible security issues are why I avoid Windows whenever possible. I use Linux now almost exclusively, and my only complaints are miserable support for Bluetooth devices, and half-assed support for managing secondary monitor output. Other than that, Ubuntu LXDE runs well on my laptop, is far more customizable than Windows 7, is worry-free concerning security, while keeping it altogether simple.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.