News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 30, 2015, 12:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 31, 2015, 01:24:45 AM
It was intended as a joke. It's unlikely I'll be changing operating systems at all until I buy myself a new rig. My main computer runs 7, the one I'm typing this on runs motherfucking Vista, and I even have an XP machine hiding in the back.
Okay then. I have a lot of whacko cousins who would post that serious-like.

The major news I've seen regarding WIN10 is that if you have WIN7 you don't need it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2015, 08:07:49 AM
The major news I've seen regarding WIN10 is that if you have WIN7 you don't need it.

So it's like a retrograde of Windows 8, but you have to pay for the downgrade?

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on July 31, 2015, 04:48:07 PM
So it's like a retrograde of Windows 8, but you have to pay for the downgrade?
For me, Win 8 was a retrograde of Vista.  Wind 7 is much, much better.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Brian37

Windows might as well be called " Swiss cheese"
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 31, 2015, 01:09:47 AM
But...but...gaming.  :'(
I am an extremely infrequent gamer, and I can run those on either XP or 7, and there are reports of success of getting some of them to run on Linux -- if not natively, then under Wine.  So games aren't really a driving factor for me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

_Xenu_

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 31, 2015, 01:09:47 AM
But...but...gaming.  :'(
Yeah, that's my situation. I would ditch Windows 7 for Linux in a heartbeat if my steam library could come with me.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Mike Cl

Quote from: _Xenu_ on August 01, 2015, 09:07:04 AM
Yeah, that's my situation. I would ditch Windows 7 for Linux in a heartbeat if my steam library could come with me.
Wouldn't that be sweet!!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: _Xenu_ on August 01, 2015, 09:07:04 AM
There are some Steam games that play on Linux.  Unfortunately, not enough of them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

wolf39us

I've had it for about the last year on the tech preview -- I love 10

Mike Cl

Quote from: wolf39us on August 01, 2015, 10:35:48 PM
I've had it for about the last year on the tech preview -- I love 10
Do you game with it???

wolf39us

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 01, 2015, 11:08:19 PM
Do you game with it???

Indeed I do, everything in my steam library works.

PickelledEggs

I only really play Dota 2 and starcraft 2 nowadays on my PC... but even if both of those worked on Linux, I still would have the problem of photo printing on linux. I can never get a good print out in a linux operating system. For some reasons the drivers never work enough.

For now I use both.... and I just got Win 10 and love it so far, btw.

Hydra009

I've steadily moved away from windows products.

Windows media center is hot garbage compared to virtually anything, Microsoft Office is pretty awful and easily supplanted by its free competitors, and for reasons I'll never comprehend, Windows photo viewer can't GIFs (you had one job!)

I use libre office a lot, but interoperability can be a chore.  I have to submit online assignments, and sometimes the formatting will get all futzed up when a libre file is opened by its corresponding MS program.  ><

Mike Cl

Quote from: wolf39us on August 01, 2015, 11:09:06 PM
Indeed I do, everything in my steam library works.
That is very good news--thnx for the reply.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 02, 2015, 05:19:37 AM
I've steadily moved away from windows products.

Windows media center is hot garbage compared to virtually anything, Microsoft Office is pretty awful and easily supplanted by its free competitors, and for reasons I'll never comprehend, Windows photo viewer can't GIFs (you had one job!)

I use libre office a lot, but interoperability can be a chore.  I have to submit online assignments, and sometimes the formatting will get all futzed up when a libre file is opened by its corresponding MS program.  ><
Yeah, I'm a big fan of LibreOffice.  And I use The GIMP for all my image processing needs, and Media Player Classic for my A/V needs.  Generally, any software that Microsoft puts out to run under Windows, there's something else that does the job better and cleaner.