News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New here

Started by lkingpinl, July 28, 2015, 03:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkingpinl

Hello all,

My name is David and I come from the Christian viewpoint and enjoy having cordial, respectful discord with others on questions we all have.  I come from the view that we all have struggles, all have questions, all have doubts and not out to convert anyone or bully my views on others and I do expect the same in return.  I'm looking forward to some intellectual conversing.

TomFoolery

Welcome David. I think you'll find quite a few people around here get rather... impassioned, especially when people come here trying to explain why God prefers to let children starve in Africa or innocent people to die by gunfire, and why that's a good thing. It seems like most people with strong religious convictions come here comfortable explaining the will and nature of God, which I think is dangerous for anyone who actually believes in religion to do.

With that being said, I imagine that if you're really of the mindset of it being natural that people have struggles and questions about faith, and are open to new ideas and shifting thoughts about your own religion then you may find a way to fit in. I say that not to suggest we'll manage to make a non-believer out of you, but at least maybe encourage you to think more critically about your own faith. It's also not well-received around here when people just show up, spew a bunch of Bible verses and say "the Bible says it, so it must be true!" and then promptly inform everyone they just don't understand God's plan when people try to counter that argument with evidence.

Either way, welcome. :)
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

lkingpinl

Thanks Tom,

You wont find any Bible spewing here.  I'm willing to have discussions on the Bible, but would never use it as a form of "evidence", though we can discuss passages and meanings.

I think any believer who cannot honestly say the problem of evil and suffering is real and something we must admit to and discuss is not being genuine. 

I look forward to healthy and respectful discourse.

PopeyesPappy

Hello David.

Quote from: lkingpinl on July 28, 2015, 03:55:48 PM
I look forward to healthy and respectful discourse.

You are probably in the wrong forum if you are looking for respectful discourse with regards to your religion.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

dtq123

You remind me of KingJ, ever seen him around?

He's lucky he isn't banned, keep your guard up if you want to stay
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

dtq123

Quote from: aitm on July 28, 2015, 05:13:16 PM
o        boy
I'm being frank right now, I've had it up to my neck because of Christians, both online and IRL. I would like them to stay off this haven, or at least pretend to be another religion that can fuck us in the ass.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

TomFoolery

Quote from: dtq123 on July 28, 2015, 05:27:33 PM
I'm being frank right now, I've had it up to my neck because of Christians, both online and IRL. I would like them to stay off this haven, or at least pretend to be another religion that can fuck us in the ass.

Sometimes it is nice to be away from Christians. I'm taking classes at the University of South Carolina, it's only Tuesday, and I've already been approached about Jesus twice, once from two old dudes who took it upon themselves to set up a booth right outside the science building and once from some doe-eyed teenage girl sent to scout recruiters for a daily Bible study. You can't read news comments without a bunch of idiotic posts about how we just need to follow the teachings of the Bible and blah blah blah. I get it, it gets old.

Yet being around here isn't all that mentally stimulating either most days. Being around everyone who shares your opinions (or beliefs) is just as annoying as being around no one who does sometimes.

Anyone who is willing to come to the table and honestly discuss religion without tossing out Bible verses and "burn in Hells" is more interesting than someone posting a topic and reading five replies that all say "ha ha, so true" to varying degrees.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

dtq123

Quote from: TomFoolery on July 28, 2015, 05:34:52 PM
Sometimes it is nice to be away from Christians. I'm taking classes at the University of South Carolina, it's only Tuesday, and I've already been approached about Jesus twice, once from two old dudes who took it upon themselves to set up a booth right outside the science building and once from some doe-eyed teenage girl sent to scout recruiters for a daily Bible study. You can't read news comments without a bunch of idiotic posts about how we just need to follow the teachings of the Bible and blah blah blah. I get it, it gets old.

Yet being around here isn't all that mentally stimulating either most days. Being around everyone who shares your opinions (or beliefs) is just as annoying as being around no one who does sometimes.

Anyone who is willing to come to the table and honestly discuss religion without tossing out Bible verses and "burn in Hells" is more interesting than someone posting a topic and reading five replies that all say "ha ha, so true" to varying degrees.

As long as he doesn't call me a fool, I'm fine :eyes:
...Don't call me hell fodder either.
...Or Sinner.
...Or a Baby eating Satanist.
:smile:
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mike Cl

Welcome, IK.  If you are a religious person (christian, I assume) who uses reasoning and thinking instead of belief and faith, then you may fit in.  I enjoy chatting with people like that--except they are as rare as hen's teeth.  I'm curious.  Why post here--at an atheist forum? 

As far as an intellectual challenge, I think Jesus is a myth and not a real person.  I have reasons for that.  Do you have any reasons for thinking he was real?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Welcome.  I also think that Jesus is mythical, but I am OK with that ... as a freethinking theist.  Most here aren't theists ... but I don't mind that either ;-)  Some posters are quite explicit about their hobbies though ... so have tough skin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solitary

Welcome aboard lkingpinl! Intellectual conversing on religion? There is no such thing as evil and sin, which are based on Christian dogma for starters. Religion by definition is a belief based on faith with no reliable evidence logically or in our everyday lives. It is pragmatic and works for some people, however, it in no way shows what the truth or facts are, just opinions based on emotions and feelings which you have shown on your introduction to be true by bringing up the human condition we all have to deal with, and no belief or disbelief is going to change that. To say religion brings comfort or makes life bearable is no different then taking drugs or alcohol does, which also will damage the brain into neuroses, insanity, or senility.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

PickelledEggs

Sal1981