News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Geniuses that were jerks

Started by Solitary, July 26, 2015, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I really dont see why it matters what Michaelangelo was or wasn't religion wise, but given the time he lived in... the "burden of proof", if we want to use that, is on the person claiming he was an anomaly and not religious. There is no reason to believe he didn't fit the cultural norms of his time, other than you want to claim him as part of your camp. That's all fine and well if you have any proof, but there is none.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

There is a common understanding or let's say a belief among Westerners and Easterners that certain figures from Western History -famous writers, 'humanists', philosophers and artists- are secular. I don't think people are to blame.

There are various reasons for this, but I'm so tired and it's a long post for another time. Just got a cold beer. It's so fucking hot here and I have 351 pages left.  :sad2:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Marlo

Thomas Edison,he and Tesla were huge rivals,I think they may have captured a bit of it in the movie the prestige.

Johan

Steve Jobs. Just putting that here because the thread is titled geniuses that were jerks and I'm pretty sure that if we made it to three pages without any mention of him, we'd be breaking some sort of internet law.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Quote from: Marlo on October 12, 2016, 01:22:01 AM
Thomas Edison,he and Tesla were huge rivals,I think they may have captured a bit of it in the movie the prestige.

Did you read or see the bit, where J P Morgan goaded Edison into inventing the electric chair, to try to discredit Tesla?  Until then, sure I admired Edison, not much afterward ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

If memory serves right, Oppenheimer tried to kill someone. One of his professors? Not sure who he was. But he was 'excused' because he is a genius.

It's something more than being a jerk though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 13, 2016, 03:42:02 AM
If memory serves right, Oppenheimer tried to kill someone. One of his professors? Not sure who he was. But he was 'excused' because he is a genius.

It's something more than being a jerk though.
Well that sure gives a whole new context to him saying, "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Do all Hindu Jews try to kill their professors?  Jesus' transfiguration on Mt Tabor was stolen from the Gita, where Krishna fully reveals himself to Arjuna.

On the other hand, you can disagree about the existence or necessity of using something as horrible as a nuclear weapon ... but I don't think that was Dr Oppenheimer's call.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Well he tried to poison him...that's all I remember. Can't be bothered to google. Somebody do it, lol.

Cavebear

At the risk of seeming crude, most geniuses are jerks in the eyes of regular society.  They don't fit in.  That doesn't mean they are mean or rude (deliberately anyway), just misunderstrood...  ;)  Obsessed, focused, whatever.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!