Author Topic: Geniuses that were jerks  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Shiranu

Re: Geniuses that were jerks
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
I really dont see why it matters what Michaelangelo was or wasn't religion wise, but given the time he lived in... the "burden of proof", if we want to use that, is on the person claiming he was an anomaly and not religious. There is no reason to believe he didn't fit the cultural norms of his time, other than you want to claim him as part of your camp. That's all fine and well if you have any proof, but there is none.
"Too curious flower, watching us pass, met death; Our hungry donkey." - Basho

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." - Mahatma Gandhi

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »
There is a common understanding or let's say a belief among Westerners and Easterners that certain figures from Western History -famous writers, 'humanists', philosophers and artists- are secular. I don't think people are to blame.

There are various reasons for this, but I'm so tired and it's a long post for another time. Just got a cold beer. It's so fucking hot here and I have 351 pages left.  :sad2:

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 01:22:01 AM »
Thomas Edison,he and Tesla were huge rivals,I think they may have captured a bit of it in the movie the prestige.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »
Steve Jobs. Just putting that here because the thread is titled geniuses that were jerks and I'm pretty sure that if we made it to three pages without any mention of him, we'd be breaking some sort of internet law.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Offline Baruch

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 08:32:27 PM »
Thomas Edison,he and Tesla were huge rivals,I think they may have captured a bit of it in the movie the prestige.

Did you read or see the bit, where J P Morgan goaded Edison into inventing the electric chair, to try to discredit Tesla?  Until then, sure I admired Edison, not much afterward ;-(
שלום

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 03:42:02 AM »
If memory serves right, Oppenheimer tried to kill someone. One of his professors? Not sure who he was. But he was 'excused' because he is a genius.

It's something more than being a jerk though.

Offline Hijiri Byakuren

• ULC Minister, Honorary Doctor of Divinity
  • That's DOCTOR Hijiri, to you!
    • Pathos
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
If memory serves right, Oppenheimer tried to kill someone. One of his professors? Not sure who he was. But he was 'excused' because he is a genius.

It's something more than being a jerk though.
Well that sure gives a whole new context to him saying, "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Baruch

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
Do all Hindu Jews try to kill their professors?  Jesus' transfiguration on Mt Tabor was stolen from the Gita, where Krishna fully reveals himself to Arjuna.

On the other hand, you can disagree about the existence or necessity of using something as horrible as a nuclear weapon ... but I don't think that was Dr Oppenheimer's call.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:50:53 PM by Baruch »
שלום

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »
Well he tried to poison him...that's all I remember. Can't be bothered to google. Somebody do it, lol.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »
At the risk of seeming crude, most geniuses are jerks in the eyes of regular society.  They don't fit in.  That doesn't mean they are mean or rude (deliberately anyway), just misunderstrood...  ;)  Obsessed, focused, whatever.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead