Pokey LaFarge: Evolving through Preservation TedTalk

Started by Shiranu, July 25, 2015, 03:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

While he is getting a few things wrong... I think overall his point is quite interesting. From a separate interview, there is a quote of his I have been thinking about alot lately that goes along the line of...

"I don't know if America has an identity anymore. When you look back, you can say this is from the 20s, that is from the 40s, this mindset represents the late 60's, that style is from the 30s, that music was from the Midwest, the South, the East, and so on... yet now, fashion and technology and society is just moving so fast and so homogeneously that there is no longer a soul to it and no longer time for identities to be established. Things change too fast to become iconic. And that's why alot of people are adopting these old-style fashions, music and technology... because they are looking for a culture that has soul and a solid identity."

I feel like the general basis of both the video and that paraphrased quote are something I can really relate to, growing up around the time that technology just started to boom and change at exponential rates.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur