News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Writers Thread

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, March 11, 2013, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"
Quote from: "aitm"I believe I have a great, no GREAT setting and story but I shant given it to just anyone, yet, how long must I hold this marvel of an idea until some dip shit fuck finally stumbles upon it?   Alas,,,my misery...

That happened to me.  I was planning on doing for NaNo this year a parody of Twilight, where the marble adonis is a zombie.  And then they went and did a movie about it.

parody? hmm, no novel idea for you!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"It needs practise. It's also difficult to find an original plot.

Some say there is no such thing.

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"It needs practise. It's also difficult to find an original plot.

Some say there is no such thing.

Some people have said there are only a few different plots and people just keep reusing them.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Sleeper

How have I never noticed this thread before?

I've got a suspense (?) psychological thriller (?) about a guy who's mental state is crumbling amid a crumbled world outside. It's a very personal, internal tale. It's finished, but it's only 40,000 words. I've been told by pros that it needs to be at least double that. Don't know what to think about that.

Also working on a sci-fi screenplay about the first team to explore other dimensions. Got a very naturalistic message to it as the protagonist begins the tale believing that she's special and has been led her whole life to this specific project. Throughout the story, though, she comes to slowly realize the mindlessness of what's happening around her. That's all subtly woven and secondary though. It's not so "on the nose."

...also have an idea for a TV show about the absurd, mystical, pathetic world where commercials come from. I've mailed all these synopses to myself, by the way.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Thumpalumpacus

I'm of the opinion that where a talent shines is in character.  Making one's characters believably deep is more important than crafting a unique plot, to my way of thinking.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Jason Harvestdancer

So, in my own head I divided my Novel (Nell of the Null Zone) into 3 parts.

Part 1 is the conflict with Janus the psychic villain.
Part 2 is when the heroes meet Agent Dandrough and meet operatives of the 3 families.
Part 3 is the decent into the underbelly of the Antelope Valley.

I've finished converting part 1 into a screenplay.  I'm starting on part 2.

The problem is, part 2 is the part I like the least.  It's going to be a lot harder than part 1.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

NitzWalsh

I'm attempting to write a persuasive essay for my English class. I have a topic, lots of notes, some good sources, etc. The topic is horse meat. I will be including information about health, ethics, culture, etc. when consuming it. But I'm having trouble picking a side.

I'm thinking about going about it like Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. If you're unfamiliar with A Modest Proposal, I highly recommend reading it. It's available on Project Gutenberg at //http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1080/1080-h/1080-h.htm.

With that in mind, I'm thinking I'll take the position that horse meat would be great for the economy, help cure hunger, and so on.

The problem is my teacher is a horse nut.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

the_antithesis

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"The problem is my teacher is a horse nut.

I understand that getting fucked by a horse can cause a great deal of internal damage.

Jason Harvestdancer

Go pro on horse meat.  It's only a cultural issue, not a nutritional issue.

The reason it was such a scandal was partly cultural and partly because people were expecting one meat and received another.

Oh, and some sort of meat inspection issue probably.

But if you can give good coverage to proper inspection for horse meat, then you can argue nutritional facts versus cultural opinions for the win.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Go pro on horse meat.  It's only a cultural issue, not a nutritional issue.

The reason it was such a scandal was partly cultural and partly because people were expecting one meat and received another.

Oh, and some sort of meat inspection issue probably.

But if you can give good coverage to proper inspection for horse meat, then you can argue nutritional facts versus cultural opinions for the win.

I actually will be arguing in favour of it. I'm going to be making it satirical as well. I'm also thinking I might include cats and dogs in it.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Farroc

I've got this idea about this ex-navy seal/physicist who who becomes a pacifist and develops a serum that can make someone have a complete change of heart, loses all of his violent tendencies and selfishness...etc. So the guy goes and secretly give the serum to all of the worlds dictators and violent or stupid leaders( George W. Bush, Kim Jong-un...).
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Farroc"I've got this idea about this ex-navy seal/physicist who who becomes a pacifist and develops a serum that can make someone have a complete change of heart, loses all of his violent tendencies and selfishness...etc. So the guy goes and secretly give the serum to all of the worlds dictators and violent or stupid leaders( George W. Bush, Kim Jong-un...).

Does it turn into a virus that quickly spreads and starts a zombie apocalypse? Because that would be cool.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

NitzWalsh

I'm currently at 1200 words for my essay on horse meat. I want it to be at least twice that, but I'm running out of things to say.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Jason Harvestdancer

Add recipes for horse meat?

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I'm currently at 1200 words for my essay on horse meat. I want it to be at least twice that, but I'm running out of things to say.

Then think more, and explore nuances.
<insert witty aphorism here>