A summary of Michel Foucault

Started by dtq123, July 21, 2015, 08:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

Thanks, I had gotten him confused with Lacan.  Seriously, you and I are on many shared wavelengths ... because I love Foucault's transgressive nature, particularly against academia and incipient tyranny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

dtq123

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2015, 10:00:28 PM
Thanks, I had gotten him confused with Lacan.  Seriously, you and I are on many shared wavelengths ... because I love Foucault's transgressive nature, particularly against academia and incipient tyranny.
Want to get married? XD
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

In the old Hindu theology, we are all the same person, and any intimacy we have is masturbation.  Of course intellectuals keep their masturbation Platonic ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

*Smart ass voice:

May be you should jump to Frankfurt School as the next phase.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2015, 10:47:00 PM
Of course intellectuals keep their masturbation Platonic ;-))

:rotflmao:

You should read Canetti. You probably know him. He is one my beloved Jews. His novel 'The Blinding' (1930s I guess) is a very good slap to human civilisation, esp. to white Western in general. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

I dig Habermas on "intersubjectivity".

Elias Canetti?  I am very deficient in modern literature ... even Nobelists ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2015, 06:26:44 AM
I dig Habermas on "intersubjectivity".

Elias Canetti?  I am very deficient in modern literature ... even Nobelists ;-(

Yes. Try him. He is important.

ooh Habermas. Cool.

Munch

Very interesting. The basis of history is to reflect on it and learn from mistakes of the past, while gaining knowledge previously learned and expanding on the parts that can help us go forward, instead of backwards.
So often we see not just in theistic circles but other less religous places that sticking to how things were is how it should always be, and that just sets a bad, unprogressive stance on today.

there is a reason why we don't blood let for medical practices now because of the health risks, but it has taught modern doctors that curing diseases in the blood and blood transfusion can help people.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

Quote from: dtq123 on July 21, 2015, 08:52:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBJTeNTZtGU
A terrific video about a terrific man who was prophetic about the modern prison and psychiatric systems we have today in the United States. Thank you!
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: Munch on July 22, 2015, 09:01:44 AM
Very interesting. The basis of history is to reflect on it and learn from mistakes of the past, while gaining knowledge previously learned and expanding on the parts that can help us go forward, instead of backwards.
So often we see not just in theistic circles but other less religous places that sticking to how things were is how it should always be, and that just sets a bad, unprogressive stance on today.

there is a reason why we don't blood let for medical practices now because of the health risks, but it has taught modern doctors that curing diseases in the blood and blood transfusion can help people.
Blood letting is still used, but only for things it actually works for. Even maggots and leeches are used at times  when there is no alternative. I still get freaked out by using human feces as a cure. Don't ask for what.

dtq123

Quote from: Solitary on July 22, 2015, 11:29:33 AM
A terrific video about a terrific man who was prophetic about the modern prison and psychiatric systems we have today in the United States. Thank you!
Was that sarcasm? I can't tell.
Quote from: Solitary on July 22, 2015, 11:34:26 AM
I still get freaked out by using human feces as a cure. Don't ask for what.
I'll give everyone a hint, It's transplantation.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Solitary

Quote from: dtq123 on July 22, 2015, 11:49:50 AM
Was that sarcasm? I can't tell.I'll give everyone a hint, It's transplantation.
Of course I wasn't being sarcastic, and it bothers me that you would think so. I shoot from the hip, with no deception. I say what I think, and they are just my opinions, or not!

This is what I believe, put in better words than I can:

"We find parents, friends and lovers who will attempt to bind and distort us in their image, for their convenience and comfort and usually in the name of love." I was fortunate enough to find a androgynous lover 30 years ago that let me be myself.  "We will discover society forcing us to conform to its needs, and attempting to squeeze us into its narrow mold."

"We will realize that education is often filling  us with irrelevant knowledge, teaching us what to learn, rather than how to use what we learn. We will become aware of institutions that are attempting to brainwash us and fill us with fear, guilt and shame. It is no surprise, then, that we proclaim defensively of the impossibility of becoming ourselves, 'because they will not allow us to do so."

"It becomes clear why the philosopher-playwright, Jean Paul Sartre , in his short masterpiece, No Exit, concluded strongly that ' Hell is other people.'"  By Leo F. Buscalia, PH. D.

Solitary

Quote from: dtq123 on July 22, 2015, 11:49:50 AM
Was that sarcasm? I can't tell.I'll give everyone a hint, It's transplantation.
Right, and it used to be delivered by drinking it. Barf!

aitm

8 minutes? hmmm I don't even watch videos of puppies longer than a minute and I love puppies...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust