News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Does anyone get it about original sin.

Started by 1liesalot, July 21, 2015, 09:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

Heard a biblical "scholar" talking about how we're all sinners a while back. He kept on an on about about the same old mindless bullshit of how we are all descended from Adam and therefore we are all sinners and deserve everything we get. I don't understand. Does anyone, really? I mean what the fuck?!

Mike Cl

This is classical control.  Make everybody a natural born sinner and then you can control how they can stop sinning. 

This is what Gen. 1 says:

26 Then God said, o“Let us make man8 in our image, pafter our likeness. And qlet them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
   27    So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
rmale and female he created them.
28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, s“Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. tYou shall have them for food. 30 And uto every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31 vAnd God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

So, after reading the first book in the buybull, we are told that god made man and woman at the same time.  There is no Adam.  No Eve.  And no Garden.  Plus, who is this 'we' that is referred to?  I guess god had some buddies up there with him and mankind must be a committee construct.   BTW, this is a good little read for those who keep telling us of original sin. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

This is the singular most illogical thing in Christianity, among so many. It makes absolutely no sense! How can anyone be guilty of a sin when the first person never knew it was, much less everyone after that haven't committed it. Idiots! Mind control at its best. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

TomFoolery

I heard someone else once also explain that it started with Adam and Eve, and original sin also therefore extended to every human being because their parents had to have sex in order to conceive them, and thus all babies were born from the sin of their parents. I wasn't aware married sex was a sin, but if we follow that train of thought...

Nowadays we have babies born from in vitro fertilization. Men aren't even necessarily required to masturbate (also a grave sin) in order to provide semen either, because it's possible to compel men to ejaculate through electroshock. They've done it for recently deceased men when a partner wishes to have his children posthumously. So what about those kids? Do they escape original sin?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Solitary

Of course they don't, they are the spawn of evil science, and the children of the damned.  :fU:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Termin

It is a guilt trip based upon an unsubstantiated claim, which required obedience to a specific deity in order to avoid unsubstantiated punishment.

It's a brilliant con if you can get away with it really.

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

AllPurposeAtheist

Once upon a time some woman liked fresh fruit so I make it a point whenever I go to the grocery store to tell women to leave those fucking apples alone. Haven't they caused enough problems messing around with them?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

dtq123

I don't find it too irrational.

I say that people are born irrational and evil, and only learn kindness because of experience and education.

(Gets ready to be hit by one of the staff :eyes:)
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: dtq123 on July 21, 2015, 02:21:36 PM

I say that people are born irrational and evil, and only learn kindness because of experience and education.

You probably eat fresh fruit too.. Admit it. . You do,  dontcha?

dtq123

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 21, 2015, 02:44:43 PM
You probably eat fresh fruit too.. Admit it. . You do,  dontcha?
Yep I do!

Seriously though, what was the relevance? XD
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: dtq123 on July 21, 2015, 02:46:06 PM
Yep I do!

Seriously though, what was the relevance? XD
Uhhh..Eve and that damned apple thingy. . :lol:

Sal1981

It's a con even within the illogical frame of the creation story of Christianity.

Adamn and Eve were like children unable to judge right from wrong, until they ate off the forbidden fruit, and THEN God punishes them with original sin, even though they were unable to know that it was wrong to eat the apple. But try and explain this to a Christian and they'll just be confuzzled.

SGOS

Quote from: 1liesalot on July 21, 2015, 09:06:26 AM
Heard a biblical "scholar" talking about how we're all sinners a while back. He kept on an on about about the same old mindless bullshit of how we are all descended from Adam and therefore we are all sinners and deserve everything we get.

The operative word "Mindless" is an excellent choice here.  It makes no sense at all.  How could we be responsible for the sins of Adam?

Mike Cl

Quote from: dtq123 on July 21, 2015, 02:21:36 PM

You don't find it irrational?  Really.  What is rational about it. 

And people are born irrational?  What does that mean to you--and why do you come to that conclusion?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

dtq123

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 21, 2015, 05:25:40 PM
You don't find it irrational?  Really.  What is rational about it. 

And people are born irrational?  What does that mean to you--and why do you come to that conclusion?

The premise that we are evil is an assumption that I very well respect, which I give some merit to.

However, the supposed cause and treatment for it I could do without.

Evil is irrational in the respect to the fact that we are social beings, and evil pushes other people away, sometimes literally.

It just means that an good experience of life and plenty of self reflection develops moral discipline.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"