News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

About 46 years and 30 minutes ago

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 20, 2015, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

in what was perhaps human kind's greatest achievement to that point in time Neil Armstrong first stepped on the moon.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

kilodelta

Holy crap... almost 50 years...

By the way, have we investigated to be sure Vikings didn't get to the moon first? I'd hate to be disappointed like I was with Columbus.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

PopeyesPappy

Vikings? Probably not. Asgardians? If they felt like it...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

AllPurposeAtheist

It happened exactly 2 days before my 10th birthday  and I'm still pissed off at NASA for ruining my would be fanfuckingtastic 10th birthday party. .Fuckers.. They coulda waited just 2 days,  but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Still all in all it was awesome and probably the longest I ever watched TV non-stop at least as a kid.
The cool part aside from them landing on the moon is Neil Armstrong is from Wapakonetta Ohio,  not to far from Dayton Ohio where I grew up at.
I think sometimes at just how lucky I am to have been alive then. Stepping foot on the moon and just a few short years before it was thought of as nothing more than fantasy.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

dtq123

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 21, 2015, 12:07:16 AM
It happened exactly 2 days before my 10th birthday  and I'm still pissed off at NASA for ruining my would be fanfuckingtastic 10th birthday party. .Fuckers.. They coulda waited just 2 days,  but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Still all in all it was awesome and probably the longest I ever watched TV non-stop at least as a kid.
The cool part aside from them landing on the moon is Neil Armstrong is from Wapakonetta Ohio,  not to far from Dayton Ohio where I grew up at.
I think sometimes at just how lucky I am to have been alive then. Stepping foot on the moon and just a few short years before it was thought of as nothing more than fantasy.
Two days huh? I'll try to find a video gift XD
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: dtq123 on July 21, 2015, 12:25:17 AM
Two days huh? I'll try to find a video gift XD
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not a big video watcher. Example : Many people make video and take zillions of pictures of their kids and so forth,  but I remember just what my kids looked like so I only have a small amount of photos of them and zero video and yet I can still conjure up mental images of my kids and recall my favorite memories without video and photos. My memories of the moon landing are just as fresh in my mind as they were 30 years ago  and if they fail someday then oh well. .

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 21, 2015, 12:07:16 AM

:lol: Stop whining, I wasn't even born yet.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

Buzz Aldrin and I had the same first grade teacher, he was from my hometown. She was old by the time she got to me. He came to our classroom and showed us moon rocks and other moon stuff. I was too young to realize how COOL THAT WAS. Pretty sure he had another astronaut with him from the mission but I can't remember who.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

TomFoolery

My dad was about ten when the moon landing happened and told me the story about how my grandma made him come in from playing street hockey and watch it. At ten I probably wouldn't have seen the big deal either, but in hindsight, it's definitely one of those "where were you moments" I guess. But when you think about it, it really took the culmination of all human knowledge and invention to get us there. I watched an amazing American Genius on NatGeo about the modern space race and found myself wondering if we could have gone further if we had cooperated with the Soviets or if we got as far as we did as a human race because of our competition.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

aitm

Back when astronauts and scientist were our "heroes" soon replaced by athletes, movie stars and musicians...sign...where have all the flowers gone...long time pas...shit.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on July 21, 2015, 10:52:54 AM
Back when astronauts and scientist were our "heroes" soon replaced by athletes, movie stars and musicians...sign...where have all the flowers gone...long time pas...shit.

May be the problem is about needing heroes, rather than who they are?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

At that time, I dunno if I was even a sperm in my unknown fathers testicles
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 21, 2015, 03:20:51 AM
:lol: Stop whining, I wasn't even born yet.
Then you should be pissed they didn't wait another 20 years and change till YOUR 10th birthday. . :lol:

Shiranu

Quote...athletes, movie stars and musicians...

You mean like Elvis, the Beatles, James Dean, Babe Ruth...?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur