Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Started by hilary, July 20, 2015, 05:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Termin

Quote from: hilary on July 20, 2015, 05:27:27 AM
I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Frankly, they are boring and frustrating to debate with.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

dtq123

Quote from: Termin on July 21, 2015, 11:44:36 AM
Frankly, they are boring and frustrating to debate with.
Exactly! They almost make every moment; "Kiss Allah's Ass Moment"
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Munch

I feel like playing a ymca song with those words.

"Fuck, Islam
You know their talking bull shit
yes Fuck Islam
their prophet had a small dick
yes Fuck Islam
They roger nine year old girls
Fuck Islam
Cry Allah around the world!
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Quote from: hilary on July 20, 2015, 05:27:27 AMWhy are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
I reckon it's more to do about possible backlash, than seeing Christianity as more wrong (if you can say that). I mean, Christianity's adherents seem toothless to the abundant savagery of ISIS for instance.

Or, Christianity simply is  "closer to home" deal.

Baruch

Termin ... I agree ... boring to talk to.  They are even more into their own matrix than Evangelical Christians ... because they are usually pre-modern ... which Evangelical Christians are not.  At best they are like KingJ.  At worst they are like a Catholic from a small impoverished village in Croatia.

One aspect is that they are aristocratic ... usually they won't dane to talk to you ... because they are your master.  One doesn't converse with one's dog.  Some Sufis might know what they are talking about ... not just dogma ... but they would never bother to talk to you or I ... like Orthodox rabbis, they are only into recruiting their own, not strangers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cocoa Beware

One primary reason is that it gets erroneously conflated with racism, at least from my experience.

Why someone would accuse an individual of bigotry for relaying facts about Islam whilst overlooking the fact bigotry is one of the defining characteristics of the religion is beyond me.

Baruch

It is very hard to escape prejudice, bigotry or racism.  For Europeans, the Muslims, including Turks, are the "new Jews/Gypsies". And their prejudice, bigotry and racism are legendary.  If racism is defined as bigotry with power ... as in imperialism ... Muslims are the victims of European racism since 1700 ... which is the last time Muslims were powerful.  Americans attempted to establish a better record, but immediately failed .. not least because some of the Africans brought over were Muslim, not pagan.  Also Thomas Jefferson immediately stumbled into our first war on Islam ... the Tripolitania War ... over 200 years ago.

Now it is true, many people don't like negative facts.  But if they are facts, then they are not prejudice, bigotry or racism.  But facts are slippery things.  Certainly Muslims are racist when they are in power ... but then all imperialists are.  And all "tribes" are bigoted, particularly the Anglo-Saxon.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

For me, it's just very hard for me to hate on someone I don't know or have experienced personally, or haven't through reputation or report made themselves out to be a total fuckwad. Sure, if asked, I'll say that I think that Islam is a vile institution that needs to be wiped from the earth, but it's not something I volunteer to just any Muslim's face or online unless they've done or said something to raise my ire, because pointless antagonism is pointless and stupid. It's the same reason I don't volunteer that the RCC is a vile institution to be met with the same fate right into a Catholic's face or online unless they've done or said something to piss me off. I'm also unwilling to say a Muslim is willfully evil for following Islam for much the same reason I'm unwilling to say a Catholic is willfully evil for following Catholicism and the RCC. 'Stupidity' is much more parsimonious.

That said, I hear much less from the Muslims than I do from Catholics or other Christians, so I complain about Christians much more than I complain about Muslims. It's just simple sampling bias. But make no mistake: when they come here and spout their bullshit, we have proven ourselves to be perfectly willing to logically and rhetorically eviscerate them the same as any Christian.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hydra009

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 21, 2015, 10:50:51 PMThat said, I hear much less from the Muslims than I do from Catholics or other Christians, so I complain about Christians much more than I complain about Muslims. It's just simple sampling bias. But make no mistake: when they come here and spout their bullshit, we have proven ourselves to be perfectly willing to logically and rhetorically eviscerate them the same as any Christian.
Yep.  And the funny thing is, unless they bring up Muhammad or the Quran or something else that identifies them as muslim, it's difficult to tell if it's Christian or Muslim BS.  It's that generic.

Featuring such classics as:
"Science proves God"
"Evolution is heresy"
"God says it, I believe it"
"Submit to God or burn"
"We need to fight the evil secularist agenda"
"I'm willing to die for my beliefs!"