News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Movie Franchise...?

Started by SGOS, July 18, 2015, 08:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Franchise strikes me as an odd way of referring to a group of movies centered around a common theme.  This thought has been lurking in the back of my mind for a few years, and it came to consciousness when I read "The end to an incredible franchise..." in reference to The Hunger Games.  It's such common usage today that it seems like correct terminology.

But "franchise" seems more appropriate in describing Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, or a chain of businesses that sell rights to smaller businessmen, who purchase a name associated with a specific product, but it's kind of jarring to hear the word in connection with what typically means a series of three movies in a 5 year period.

Having said that, I think it's a "cool" term that rolls off the tongue, although still striking me as incorrect usage.

TomFoolery

I've always associated the word franchise to refer to a brand or a theme in that context. Also voting rights, but yeah.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?