Author Topic: Antibiotic resistance and our deportation to Victorian times  (Read 4030 times)

Re:
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 09:57:13 PM »
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"
If we're getting back the fatality of diseases from Victorian times can we at least get back some of the more awesome and stupidly dangerous medical devices as well?
[ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ]
This nifty thing was used to take out tonsils.
No way!
That's the thing that was used on me last week for my pap smear!
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
Antibiotic resistance is a HUGE problem. I see this rippling onto surgery as well, infection control, and so many other things!

People dropped like flies because of the non-existent weapon against them before anti-biotics.

We need a more regulated, more thorough way to give out anti-biotics: Get people to have to read a form and be explained the importance of finishing the dose. Make sure they have the competence to respond and reply and tell the doctor they understand this crucial piece of information.

 On top, the public need to really be informed on a global scale.

When we think of 'anti-biotics' we just take it for granted and say 'oh the researchers will make more'.

We are blessed to live in the 21st century. It would be a heartbreak to be taken back into the victorian era.
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 01:51:37 PM »
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"
Antibiotic resistance is a HUGE problem. I see this rippling onto surgery as well, infection control, and so many other things!

People dropped like flies because of the non-existent weapon against them before anti-biotics.

We need a more regulated, more thorough way to give out anti-biotics: Get people to have to read a form and be explained the importance of finishing the dose. Make sure they have the competence to respond and reply and tell the doctor they understand this crucial piece of information.

 On top, the public need to really be informed on a global scale.

When we think of 'anti-biotics' we just take it for granted and say 'oh the researchers will make more'.

We are blessed to live in the 21st century. It would be a heartbreak to be taken back into the victorian era.

That's rather close minded thinking.  I would have thought that bacteriophages are the way to go.

Edit:  Btw MR, are you actually going to address any of the posts in any of the threads you've started?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012


We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Offline Colanth

Re:
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"
We need a more regulated, more thorough way to give out anti-biotics: Get people to have to read a form and be explained the importance of finishing the dose. Make sure they have the competence to respond and reply and tell the doctor they understand this crucial piece of information.
Back when penicillin was first used (I was among the first civilians it was used on, in 1944), patients were advised to a) take the entire course even if the symptoms went away and b) to not use it for anything other than the illness it was prescribed for.  I'd hazard a guess that patients were stopping it as soon as the symptoms eased and saving the rest to self-medicate other illnesses long before the end of 1944.

A form?  Even a prison sentence wouldn't stop morons from "knowing" better than scientists.  The ideal situation is that antibiotics be given only to hospital patients while they're in the hospital - but that's not a practical solution.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Offline PopeyesPappy

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.


Offline PopeyesPappy

Re: Antibiotic resistance and our deportation to Victorian t
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »
I just got the word that Erica passed away a couple of hours ago. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is already killing people...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.


Offline Fidel_Castronaut

  • Jacuzzi Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7168
  • Total likes: 37
  • ¿ɯǝlqoɹԀ ˙ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
Re: Antibiotic resistance and our deportation to Victorian t
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 05:24:03 AM »
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
I just got the word that Erica passed away a couple of hours ago. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is already killing people...

Im sorry to hear that Popeyes. If you know, what bacterial infection was it?

In the UK there were over 5000 deaths last year alone from normally preventable infections, and the rate is rising.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Offline Plu

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 05:46:43 AM »
My condoleances :(

I've always taken care to use full antibiotics cures the few times I received them, but I do realise that most people are ignorant dumbasses, so a few people doing it right isn't going to help. Lets hope those people who use the half cures are the first to suffer the new resistant bacteria, at least we'll get a bit of karma.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Fidel_Castronaut

  • Jacuzzi Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7168
  • Total likes: 37
  • ¿ɯǝlqoɹԀ ˙ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
Re:
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 05:59:25 AM »
Quote from: "Plu"
My condoleances :(

I've always taken care to use full antibiotics cures the few times I received them, but I do realise that most people are ignorant dumbasses, so a few people doing it right isn't going to help. Lets hope those people who use the half cures are the first to suffer the new resistant bacteria, at least we'll get a bit of karma.

Exactly. Just one person not doing it right or using them for infections they will be utterly ineffective against ruins it for everyone else, similar to viral vaccinations.

Unfortunately, one person getting a gram negative bacterial infection increases the likelihood that those around them will also get it, and so on.

Humans can be so fucking stupid.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Offline PopeyesPappy

Re: Antibiotic resistance and our deportation to Victorian t
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
I just got the word that Erica passed away a couple of hours ago. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is already killing people...

Im sorry to hear that Popeyes. If you know, what bacterial infection was it?

In the UK there were over 5000 deaths last year alone from normally preventable infections, and the rate is rising.
It was a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) she contracted as a result of the surgery. 19,000 people died last year of complications due to MRSA infections.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.


Offline Mermaid

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »
So sorry to hear this, what a horrible tragedy.
MRSA is not just in hospitals anymore, it's in the community-schools, public pools, etc.

Bacteriophage, molecular research, delivery systems and formulations, new MOA's for antimicrobials--we need ALL of it.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

John F. Kennedy

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk