News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pluto!!!

Started by Atheon, July 08, 2015, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Just.  Fucking.  Amazing.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2015, 05:38:27 PM
Just.  Fucking.  Amazing.
Damn straight--and Mickey is down right proud!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Anybody spotted the Starbucks?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cocoa Beware

I believe this is the latest picture, and we will be getting a lot more detail in a big hurry.

Also useful: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounter/ this is where I have found a more or less steady stream of updated images from the LORRI

Edit: Also, Charon

drunkenshoe

Horizon will get the closest to Pluto in hours.

I like the pics. Nice mugs.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

New Horizons reached closest approach an hour ago. I'm geeking out!!

Pluto looks like an alien world. Oh that's right... it IS an alien world!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hakurei Reimu

Congratulations, Mankind, you have just sent a probe to the first KBO. Now you just need to send one to the next bajillion. :D

So when do we get a Pluto-rock back here?

(PS, any colored image of Pluto will be a false-color one.)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

trdsf

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 14, 2015, 07:37:21 PM
Congratulations, Mankind, you have just sent a probe to the first KBO. Now you just need to send one to the next bajillion. :D

So when do we get a Pluto-rock back here?

(PS, any colored image of Pluto will be a false-color one.)
So?

It's still awesome.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I've been enjoying these images very much.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: trdsf on July 15, 2015, 01:32:57 AM
So?

It's still awesome.  :D
Yes it is, but I still think I want to see a non-false color image, showing how Pluto would really look if it weren't so damn dim out there. And I want a Pluto-rock.
(she bites!)

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 14, 2015, 07:37:21 PMSo when do we get a Pluto-rock back here?
It would probably melt/vaporize into nitrogen, methane, ammonia and water if brought back.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Atheon on July 15, 2015, 01:03:27 PM
It would probably melt/vaporize into nitrogen, methane, ammonia and water if brought back.

I still want my motherfucking rock from motherfucking Pluto!

Why? CUZ IT'S FROM MOTHERFUKKIN' PLUTO!!!

:winkle:
(she bites!)