What is the single most stupid argument for the existence of God you ever heard?

Started by 1liesalot, July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: NakedTracyBlack on July 30, 2015, 12:05:02 AM
I'd have to go with "Without god, there would be no morality.  People could rape all they wanted to."

I think it is more fair to say that because some people believe in God and the idea of going to Hell, they don't rape people. They are still Christian rapists obviously, and I don't know how much God is a deterrent to that. But there are plenty of people who don't believe in God and aren't rapists, so your argument that without God people would be raping all they wanted to is a little insulting.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on July 30, 2015, 08:17:15 AM
I think it is more fair to say that because some people believe in God and the idea of going to Hell, they don't rape people. They are still Christian rapists obviously, and I don't know how much God is a deterrent to that. But there are plenty of people who don't believe in God and aren't rapists, so your argument that without God people would be raping all they wanted to is a little insulting.
TomFollery, Tracy was agreeing with you--he put that under the title of 'stupid comments'.  Then Baruch had to muddy the waters with his 'state keeps us from raping' comment. :)  Even if not appropriate in this spot, I'll say that, raping is not the default state of humankind.  I don't there there would be wholesale raping without either  god or state.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

TomFoolery

I think I was thinking this was a different thread when I read that and was like... what?! But yes, I should apologize.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on July 30, 2015, 09:01:04 AM
I think I was thinking this was a different thread when I read that and was like... what?! But yes, I should apologize.
Ya know what?-----My fingers were poised over my keyboard to slam out a response to that post as well, then I reread the thread and stopped. :))  Sometimes I just have to tell myself to 'slow down', at times. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

NakedTracyBlack

Sorry, yeah, that was meant to be filed under "stupid argument".  That without god there would be no morality.  There is morality, ergo there is god.

Solitary

I think  it should be their are delusional human beings with imagination, ergo God.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Baruch

Mike CL ... the difficulty is  ... responding to general title of thread? vs responding to point made by previous (named or unnamed) poster?  This is purely technical.  But the question of morality is bigger than just a big daddy in the sky.  My question was narrowly rhetorical, and answered adequately by one poster.  The general morality question fits best on another existing string, but we both know that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Baruch on July 30, 2015, 06:45:57 AM
NakedTracyBlack ... They also argue, that without the State, people would rape all they wanted to.  Are you open to rejecting that one too?  Traditionally some god stood behind both State and religion.

I reject that one too.  Too many atheists are actually statethiests.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

dtq123

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on July 30, 2015, 08:50:07 PM
I reject that one too.  Too many atheists are actually statethiests.
If only you could bash your nation as easily as you can religion. Sometimes the penalties are just as harsh.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Termin

Quote from: Baruch on July 29, 2015, 08:16:54 PM
Termin ... assume you deadpanned a quote as satire that matches the string title?

As for me, I am a grownup so I don't have to accept anyone's damned authority.  I like “When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean â€" neither more nor less.’

And Humpty-Dumpty was a hard boiled egg, he was.

Actually it was a direct quote from a discussion that initially was simply about the meaning of words, the discussion trailed off after that , and I did little to keep it serious or on track as... well I was just so flummoxed by such a statement I honestly didn't have a great reply.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Baruch

Termin ... then I read you correctly.  Thanks for taking the time to confirm that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

1liesalot

Whenever I listen to someone giving reasons for their faith, I can't help thinking that the whole thing necessitates a sort of wilful delusion. It's a deliberated, calculated suspension of all reason.

Baruch

Reason can be over-rated.  But like water in a desert, it shouldn't be willfully ignored either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Because a tornado just cannot leave a new Boeing in its wake from the scrap metal which it sucks up.

Checkmate!

NENENENENENNEENNENEENNENENNENENENNNENNENENNENENNENENENNENENEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Mike Cl

Quote from: 1liesalot on July 31, 2015, 03:24:44 PM
Whenever I listen to someone giving reasons for their faith, I can't help thinking that the whole thing necessitates a sort of wilful delusion. It's a deliberated, calculated suspension of all reason.
I find the same thing.  But if you listen closely, theists seldom use the word 'reason'--the substitute 'belief'.  Their 'faith' is informed by belief and not reason.  Using the word reason intimates that there are some facts behind what they are saying.  Instead, the deeper you probe into their beliefs, you will find not reasons, but beliefs.  And it ends up being, as you say, willful ignorance.  And that is what faith is, a form of blindness and the most deeply faithful as simply insane.