What is the single most stupid argument for the existence of God you ever heard?

Started by 1liesalot, July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

The other day, I heard someone preaching on TV about how the fact that the word "devil" turns into the word "evil" when you take the "D" away is proof that God exists.

Oh do fuck off.

Sal1981

Nothing you haven't heard before . The usual design inferences, ontological arguments (which are nothing more than semantic hoopla), moral arguments and what I can only call beyond stupid arguments, such as emotional arguments "That aching feeling you feel in your heart, you know it to be God reaching out to you", yeah right.

Munch

Every since the Bill Nye and Ken Ham event, this one image is one I can't get over.

The question she asks along with the blank, thoughtless expression is the perfect picture for theism overall.

Its like.. I learned about the rotation of the earth and its position in the universe when i was five. A five year old is smarter then this woman..
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

I don't know if this is the stupidest one I heard, but it still is. "Their is beauty in the world is proof there is a God."  Never mind that it is a non sequitur in logic and sound thinking.   So, therefore, there is ugliness in the world is also proof of God, I told her.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

TomFoolery

I'm usually stumped by massive blanket statements like "God exists because the world is beautiful."

1. Beauty is relative.
2. Is there any meaning in beauty?
3. How can one account for ugly things?

I spent a very awkward 4th of July fending off my husband's aunt who seemed deeply baffled that I don't accept there is a God and kept asking how could I not wonder where I come from and why I was put on this earth. I pointed out to her that of course I wonder where I come from, but it seemed apparent that she had stopped wondering since she was glad to accept the idea that God did it. As to why I was put on this earth, I'm happy with the notion that there doesn't have to be a reason.

Then she went in for the sweeping statements about beauty, as though looking at the stars or the majesty of fireworks would convince me there is a God. It convinces me that the universe is full of elements and reactions, and nothing more.

In the end, she pulled my husband aside and made overtures about how he should reevaluate our marriage.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

JBCuzISaidSo

While nowhere near as childish as removing the 'D' from devil, my personal dumbest presented evidence list is topped by one in particular; Anecdotal evidence.

Example: "I was driving through Texas and on a whim skirted Houston to avoid traffic, only to break down a mile from the only shop in Texas that had my part in stock. How else could anyone interpret that but that it was God?"

Rare car, no parts manufactured for it, not a universal fit vehicle, blah blah blah. You're a lucky son of a [nice lady] who thanked your invisible friend for part checking all of Texas beforehand. I'm still an atheist.

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Hijiri Byakuren

"Satan put dinosaur bones in the ground to fool us."

Not an argument for God, but still stupid.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

You can't see air and yet you believe it exists. . To which I say, "I can't see your asshole either, but yet you exist."
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Ace101

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2015, 10:59:02 AM
Every since the Bill Nye and Ken Ham event, this one image is one I can't get over.

"Their", lol

I think that image is concrete proof that there is no intelligent design

JBCuzISaidSo

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 06, 2015, 12:14:12 PM
"Satan put dinosaur bones in the ground to fool us."

Not an argument for God, but still stupid.

I just have to say that line in the most country bumpkin Hillbilly redneck voice I can do.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Numerology (666) and word tricks used to impress the yokels.  For example the secret name of Roma (Rome) is Amor (Love).  This was probably very persuasive of Christians of Pauline extraction or Johannine extraction.

It was standard belief in early modern Europe, once fossils came to be recognized as old bones .. that they were either remnants of Noah's Flood (something Aristotle believed in too ... but it was Deucalion's Flood for him).  When this explanation got a little tired, then they ran out the "Devil's Trick" explanation.  This wasn't overcome until modern geology was invented in the 1700s by Hutton.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

FinalSomnia

Quote from: 1liesalot on July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM
The other day, I heard someone preaching on TV about how the fact that the word "devil" turns into the word "evil" when you take the "D" away is proof that God exists.

Oh do fuck off.
If God exists, and the devil is represented (typically) as a male... The only way to not have the devil be evil is to put the "D" in him. BOOM, what's your problem with gays now, Christians?!

(I mean, if we're gonna go with stretches of logic, might as well have fun with it)
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca