News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What mental disorder do you think this is?

Started by Ace101, July 06, 2015, 04:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

There's a guy I know who is afraid to talk because he's obsessive about making his voice sound perfect - he actually has a great resonant voice (he's said he wants to be on the radio, or be a singer). He reads books on how to improve the sound of his voice and practices in his spare time, but he avoids calling people on the phone or socializing because he gets really embarrassed if he thinks his voice doesn't sound perfect at all times. When he talks to people he usually sticks to extremely blunt responses such as just "yes, no, okay, etc" because he's confident he can enunciate these words perfectly.

I know this isn't normal behavior, any idea what mental disorder this could be?

Draconic Aiur

Munch

Certainly some kind of compulsive disorder, since he wants perfection, but can't reach it in his head. I've suffered myself with obsessive compulsive disorder, and trying to find that perfect peace of mind, its like trying to stack match sticks, and anything can blow it over.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

hrdlr110

Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

AllPurposeAtheist

It seems like someone who has been listening to his own voice on a recording to much. People tell me I have a great voice, but when I hear it from an external source it sounds hideous.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I would think it is an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.   
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

JBCuzISaidSo

Certainly psychogenic at this point, but it could be a physical problem that made the voice different from what it was with the result of positive feedback -- so now only that result is worth speaking for, in the "different" voice that always needs perfection and practice. OCD meets a psychogenic voice disorder.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

the_antithesis

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2015, 04:58:52 AM
Certainly some kind of compulsive disorder, since he wants perfection, but can't reach it in his head. I've suffered myself with obsessive compulsive disorder, and trying to find that perfect peace of mind, its like trying to stack match sticks, and anything can blow it over.

Yeah. I don't always act like it, but I've since learned that perfection is neither attainable nor desirable. This was thanks to one of the chapters in the tao te ching.

Quote from: Lao Tze by way of Peter Merel11. Tools
Thirty spokes meet at a nave;
Because of the hole we may use the wheel.
Clay is moulded into a vessel;
Because of the hollow we may use the cup.
Walls are built around a hearth;
Because of the doors we may use the house.
Thus tools come from what exists,
But use from what does not.

The great thing about this eastern philosophy shit is that the author's intention is not as important as what you take away from it. From this I learned that if the spokes of the wheel met together perfectly, there would be no hole in the center and the wheel would be useless. If the clay is formed perfectly, it will have no hollow so the cup is useless. If walls are built perfectly, there would be no door so the house would be useless. It kind of reminds me of the children's book Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. They had dug a basement so fast and so well, they didn't leave a ramp so he could get his steam shovel out of the basement they were digging.

From this I learned that perfection is useless because it is life's imperfections that dictate use.

As a side note, I find it amusing when theists describe their deity as perfect because a perfect deity would also be useless. A perfect god would have no reason to create the universe or us. I just find it funny.

Draconic Aiur

aitm

I think you should get a recorder and a friend…beat the shit outa the guy and record him screaming like a girl….then play it back for him. It may not cure him but sounds like it would be fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust