News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

4th of July Cookout

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 04, 2015, 03:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Well it's 2:42 am and I just put the brisket in the smoker. Six racks of ribs and sausage to come later this morning. We are planning on eating around 2 pm. Next time I volunteer to be the chef we are going to eat later in the day...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

TomFoolery

July 4th is definitely one of those holidays that makes it hard to be vegetarian. It might even top Thanksgiving.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

PopeyesPappy

About 6 hours until we eat. The ribs are on. 3 will be wet and 3 have dry rubs.

Mermaid

Wow, that's some serious equipment. I am both impressed and envious. I bet it will all be divine, I'll have the brisket please. What temp do you smoke the meat? Does everything go 12 hours?

I am going to do ribs today, but only plan on cooking them for a few hours (oven, 300 for 4 hours, grill, low for about an hour).
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GrinningYMIR

I'm having left over pizza...
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mermaid on July 04, 2015, 09:34:17 AM
Wow, that's some serious equipment. I am both impressed and envious. I bet it will all be divine, I'll have the brisket please. What temp do you smoke the meat? Does everything go 12 hours?

I am going to do ribs today, but only plan on cooking them for a few hours (oven, 300 for 4 hours, grill, low for about an hour).

About 225. The brisket will cook for 10 to 12 hours. 5 or 6 for the ribs.

Gawdzilla Sama

Man, fire, food. Must be  a holiday.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 04, 2015, 09:46:08 AM
I'm having left over pizza...

We had left over pizza for breakfast if it makes you feel any better.

Mike Cl

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 04, 2015, 10:20:05 AM
We had left over pizza for breakfast if it makes you feel any better.
Left over, cold pizza is goooooood shit!  Get an extra just for that purpose. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Mermaid

Our ribs turned out pretty great. I still need to perfect the method though. I think I need to let them sit in a rub at least overnight, they could benefit from more flavor. But still, yum.
I put a dry rub (scratch) on them, cooked them in the oven for 5 hours, and then brushed on sauce (also from scratch) on the grill and let them go for about an hour on low.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Went to a party yesterday with lots o eats booze and nitwits almost burning children alive with fireworks.  To my disgrace I ended up getting drunk so I did at least make it 2 months sober and now have to lie to the VA doc..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Mermaid on July 05, 2015, 10:47:12 AM
Our ribs turned out pretty great. I still need to perfect the method though. I think I need to let them sit in a rub at least overnight, they could benefit from more flavor. But still, yum.
I put a dry rub (scratch) on them, cooked them in the oven for 5 hours, and then brushed on sauce (also from scratch) on the grill and let them go for about an hour on low.

Looks great! I'd definitely put the rub on the night before. Also remove the membrane from the back of the ribs before you apply the rub if you aren't already doing that.

Here was our final spread. Brisket, sausage, 6 different flavors of ribs, potato salad, baked beans, fresh corn on the cob, tomatoes and cucumbers, and yeast rolls. For desert there was a hot fresh blueberry pie (you can see it baking in the oven) and a peach cobbler. The corn, tomatoes, cucumbers and peaches were all picked Friday morning at one of the local orchard/farms.

ETA: You should try grilling the corn in the shuck...

Munch

Though we don't have 4th of july here, for some silly reason to do with location and time and red vs blue, but none the less I had a BBQ today of sausage and marinaded chicken wings, corn on the cob and salad.

I think I'm having meat sweat.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin