News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

So I'm waiting for the doc

Started by GrinningYMIR, July 02, 2015, 10:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

My dad is getting surgery today at a Catholic hospital, and I'm in the waiting room with him and they're blaring the propaganda on the tv, about how God has blessed this tribe in Africa by giving them tech for clean water and money to afford things like a grove and schools.

I'm just sitting here going "the hell? God didn't do shit. A bunch of people donated money to a charity and people built those solar water wells." I'm annoyed by it actually, the money spent and the man hours put in to build those damn things is completely ignored for GOOOOOOODDDDD

God must be away son of a bitch; either that or he loves to claim credit for the good stuff while blaiming his intergalactic roommate for every bad smell and event out there. He's a bad roommate God.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

This is partly superstition, to avoid bad karma.  When people do good things, we aren't supposed to take credit, because that hubris attracts the Evil Eye of jealousy aka the Greek goddess Eris who made the wedding party for Achilles' parents such a fun time.  So we give credit to G-d ... to ward off discord and because Eris won't mess with Zeus ... aka G-d.  Making G-d into a positive scapegoat Zeus has an alternate name in ancient Greek ... Dios.  If we do something bad, we ascribe it to ourselves ... since this is taking responsibility and protects G-d from the bad karma.  Both reactions are what Christianity is reacting against in classical culture.  Jesus neatly inverts this standard.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

hrdlr110

Quote from: Baruch on July 03, 2015, 01:28:30 AM
This is partly superstition, to avoid bad karma.  When people do good things, we aren't supposed to take credit, because that hubris attracts the Evil Eye of jealousy aka the Greek goddess Eris who made the wedding party for Achilles' parents such a fun time.  So we give credit to G-d ... to ward off discord and because Eris won't mess with Zeus ... aka G-d.  Making G-d into a positive scapegoat Zeus has an alternate name in ancient Greek ... Dios.  If we do something bad, we ascribe it to ourselves ... since this is taking responsibility and protects G-d from the bad karma.  Both reactions are what Christianity is reacting against in classical culture.  Jesus neatly inverts this standard.

You're absolutely wrong about why people thank god. Most of, and by most I really mean MOST, have no idea what your reasons or excuses for thanking God for everything would be. Never heard of it. They just like to give glory to God. When asked why, I'd be willing to bet everything I own that they don't launch into what you posted as the reason!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

PickelledEggs

Quote from: hrdlr110 on July 03, 2015, 01:42:53 AM
You're absolutely wrong about why people thank god. Most of, and by most I really mean MOST, have no idea what your reasons or excuses for thanking God for everything would be. Never heard of it. They just like to give glory to God. When asked why, I'd be willing to bet everything I own that they don't launch into what you posted as the reason!
I'd be willing to bet that many of them have never even thought about the question before.

Sent from your mom.

Munch

We see it all the time, someone needing an operation to save their life, which is saved by a surgeon who's had years spend training and studying, and yet when the family hears their relative is saved, they thank their imagery friend instead of the hard working doctor who saved them.

I say for any faith followers, there is a time and place to be worshipping your delusions, and a time and place to be thankful to the real people.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

I know a guy that bought 5 acres on a creek, but couldn't afford to build a house.  He said he just put it in God's hands, and his wealthy brother gave him the rest of the money he needed.  He told the group he was so grateful to God.  Never even mentioned thanking his brother, although I'm guessing he did, but he portrayed his brother as a minor player, more like a puppet of God, from whom all the real money flows.

Baruch

hrdir110 ... reading comprehension please ;-)  I said ... "This is partly superstition ..." but thanks for your impassioned defense of other reasons why a person would show gratitude ;-)  I find giving gratitude to people is easy for me, but hard for me to give gratitude to G-d ... but I am still working on it.  My standards of good behavior give humans more leeway than I would for someone who is omniscient and omnipotent ... I am still working against that theology ... trying to emotionally accept a finite and fallible G-d.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

hrdlr110

Quote from: Baruch on July 03, 2015, 07:39:21 AM
hrdir110 ... reading comprehension please ;-)  I said ... "This is partly superstition ..." but thanks for your impassioned defense of other reasons why a person would show gratitude ;-)  I find giving gratitude to people is easy for me, but hard for me to give gratitude to G-d ... but I am still working on it.  My standards of good behavior give humans more leeway than I would for someone who is omniscient and omnipotent ... I am still working against that theology ... trying to emotionally accept a finite and fallible G-d.

No issues with reading comprehension here.  The way you used "partly" sounded like all those that praise god do it partly for this superstition blah blah blah etc. (Is blah blah blah followed by etc redundant?)

And can you please explain your reason for not spelling god? Why the dash in place of the o? Excited to hear the reason for this, please don't disappoint me now!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

Baruch

Always happy to edumacate ;-)  There are gods (like Zeus) and there is G-d (the one and only).  I am a monotheist, but I don't have mono ... I swear!  In Jewish culture, one doesn't spell out G-d's secret name, because nobody knows what it is (the vowels are missing in Exodus).  So the tradition developed, to use a euphemism in writing.  So strictly speaking, it is unnecessary to do to avoid blasphemy ... but in Jewish culture one "puts a fence around the Torah" by creating violations that aren't violations, so you can stop yourself before you join the lemmings going off the Gentile cliff.

Partially ... can mean that there are those over here that are "pure" and those over there that are "impure" ... but that is your claim, not mine.  I am impure and I know I am ... just the way G-d made me.  Must have challenged G-d pre-conception (Jewish culture calls reincarnation ... gilgul) ... got G-d mad ... G-d said "Don't make me!" ... and the result was G-d made me.  I never killed my inner child, because murder is forbidden .. hope you aren't disappointed ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

hrdlr110

Quote from: Baruch on July 03, 2015, 09:36:22 AM
Always happy to edumacate ;-)  There are gods (like Zeus) and there is G-d (the one and only).  I am a monotheist, but I don't have mono ... I swear!  In Jewish culture, one doesn't spell out G-d's secret name, because nobody knows what it is (the vowels are missing in Exodus).  So the tradition developed, to use a euphemism in writing.  So strictly speaking, it is unnecessary to do to avoid blasphemy ... but in Jewish culture one "puts a fence around the Torah" by creating violations that aren't violations, so you can stop yourself before you join the lemmings going off the Gentile cliff.

Partially ... can mean that there are those over here that are "pure" and those over there that are "impure" ... but that is your claim, not mine.  I am impure and I know I am ... just the way G-d made me.  Must have challenged G-d pre-conception (Jewish culture calls reincarnation ... gilgul) ... got G-d mad ... G-d said "Don't make me!" ... and the result was G-d made me.  I never killed my inner child, because murder is forbidden .. hope you aren't disappointed ;-)

Not disappointed, that was reasonably interesting.
It's my opinion that monotheism is what's wrong with the world in places where it is prevalent. In India, where there is a god for pretty much everything, nobody gets too upset if someone doesn't worship the exact same 3000 gods that you worship. However, while I see polytheism as less problematic than monotheism, I'm sticking with my polyatheism because it's all-inclusive, and THAT makes the world a better place!