I'm a christian now. A doctor found proof of god.

Started by PickelledEggs, June 17, 2015, 02:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingJ

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 30, 2015, 11:13:45 AM
Let's see--Moses is a fairy tale, much like Jesus--and this fictional character is pleading with a fictional gwad to save the Jews.  Sort of like Bugs Bunny begging Daffy Duck to spare Elmer Fudd.  How can you override somebody else's will?  Good question--but christians try doing that on a daily basis.  It is called hubris.  And once you are dead, you are dead--period.
Discussion will go nowhere unless we deal with one issue at a time. This is not the first time you are doing this.

Mike Cl

Okay, KingJ, open a thread, pick a topic and let's discuss.  That way we can learn how the other thinks about something; go deeper into a topic.

But a thought I have about you.  I don't know you, but I do know drive-by christians who want to drive by, shoot at us with their brand of the truth so clear to them that they are sure they can convert the board on the spot.  They come out with guns ablaze, and full of vigor.  After a few day, or maybe a couple of weeks they are gone, driven off to more friendly places.  Are you like that?  Will your fervor be totally blunted when asked to reason and cite evidence and come to realize that beliefs and faith carry no weight???  I'm afraid you fit this category--but I could be wrong.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Some evangelicals are like boy scouts ... they get a merit badge for doing this ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

We've had proof jesus is real for a long time.

incidentally, whatever came out of this jesus's mouth was more accurate then anything that came out of the bibles jesus.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

KingJ

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2015, 08:55:13 AM
Okay, KingJ, open a thread, pick a topic and let's discuss.  That way we can learn how the other thinks about something; go deeper into a topic.

But a thought I have about you.  I don't know you, but I do know drive-by christians who want to drive by, shoot at us with their brand of the truth so clear to them that they are sure they can convert the board on the spot.  They come out with guns ablaze, and full of vigor.  After a few day, or maybe a couple of weeks they are gone, driven off to more friendly places.  Are you like that?  Will your fervor be totally blunted when asked to reason and cite evidence and come to realize that beliefs and faith carry no weight???  I'm afraid you fit this category--but I could be wrong.

I feel many Christians / thiests can be forgiven for coming here guns blazing given some of the discussions.

I used to be a regular on a Dawkins forum for around 2 years 9 years ago. Had much free time at work at the time.

Frequency here is relative. I don't believe I can convert anyone. Getting someone to repeat magical lines or join my faith is not conversion. The only way to convert someone is to get them to hate what is evil. If they already do, well then they are already on their way themselves to finding God.

God brings Christianity. We bring repentance.

Baruch

And that is Christian dogma "We bring repentance".  I don't think anyone can "bring repentance" ... because most people aren't willing to do what that requires, they want cheap grace.  Once reason why Judaism is unpopular, is because there is no cheap grace in it (I know in my heart that G-d has forgiven me ...).  You actually have to stop what the hell you are doing, in public and in private, and compensate everyone you wronged ... it is called justice ... with a substantial basis for reconciliation.  Most Christians believe, that if they do something wrong, and they square it with G-d, then they are good.  No need to confront one's victims.  After all, if what you did was bad enough, they might kill you for it (the OT rule on shelter cities for people on the run from the Hatfields or McCoys).  The emphasis on "my salvation" is all wrong, that is just American exceptionalism, not Christianity.

Here is the cycle ...
1. Pray for repentance in your own heart, substantial change of life, with justice (Tefilah)
2. Achieve repentance ... by heart, by mind, by life style and by justice ... if it is real, you won't backslide. (Teshuvah)
3. Don't be passively righteous, go out and do good works, with the permission of those you are assisting (Mitzvah)

One aspect of #3 is to do more of #1.  #1 is hard, because most of us are deluded liars, like the Pharisee in the story about the wretch and the Pharisee praying together.  #2 is hard, because it is going to cost you an arm and a leg, maybe your life.  #2 is the same as the Eightfold Way of Buddhism aka Golden Rule.  The Book of James ... is the answer for #3 ... it talks about faith without works, and works without faith.  And for that reason, is the least popular book in the Bible ... because it makes you face the ugly truth about yourself.  Finding faith thru works, or works thru faith misses the point ... that these are two sides of a single coin.

In summary, repentance is something you embody, not some communion wafer.  You are in the repentance, Jesus isn't in the wafer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.