Defending Assault of Flag Burner (Response)

Started by Shiranu, July 03, 2015, 07:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 31, 2015, 12:38:10 AM
It's pure fantasy to think that the southern states are where all the crazies are at. Several northern states come to mind when I think of crazy. Wisconsin with Scott Walker for one, Michigan with the right wing takeover, Maine with their nutcase governor, Ohio with Kaisich and on and on. Indiana has never been a bastion of left wing progressivism nor has West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Kansas is bankrupt and just reelected their batshit crazy governor.  The flag waving nonsense is about as lame as it gets, but it's beat into kids minds from an early age. Personally I could care less who burns a flag,  but as pointed out assault is a felony.
You're right, the idiots are all over the map now. So, how about we just invite any state not represented like it wants to live by the US Constitution to secceed and go fuck itself? Being Tea Party dominated, it would make for great entertainment to see them the most irrational anti-government and anti-social assholes try and organize a united front against the rest of us.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

NeoLogic26

I'd have to wonder whether people cheering on the assault would be as happy with an outcome that saw the person committing the assault get killed by the protestor in self-defense, if it came to that.  Who's to say that a person being assaulted by a random stranger doesn't feel that their life is being threatened? I can conceive of a scenario that justifiably ends that way and I bet people would be even more angry at the protester for killing a man who was just trying to be a "patriot"
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

widdershins

Quote from: Shiranu on August 30, 2015, 12:48:56 AM
You would also lose huge chunks of your infrastructure, your largest provider of oil, your largest military installations, your largest science installations (bye bye, NASA!)... largest sea ports, your border for easy and cheap labour, a large amount of farm land (and lets be honest; the Midwest is as backwards as the South, so you gotta cut out the rest of the bread basket as well if you want to get rid of the crazy)... several of the best tourist locations in the U.S. (so less revenue there), your "American" cars will now have to be imported so drive the price of them up... as well as again the resources to create them so there goes the prices even higher...

I could go on, but the South is a large part of why the United States can at all even try to stay relevant. And sorry, but New England has it's fair-share of bullshit too; or did I miss the memo where asswipes like Chris Christie and Rudy Gulliani were actually elected by Southerners?

A good point, though some of that is pretty irrelevant.  We would still have the military installations.  Nothing would change there.  Unless Castro never asked us to get Guantanamo Bay off his lawn, but I'm pretty sure he did and we said 'no'.  As for oil, if we lost our oil production there would be no politicians from oil producing states blocking legislation and research dollars for greener energy.  It would suck at first, but the end-game would vastly outweigh a little early-on sucking.  And science installations can be easily moved.  We can put up a new building or two for NASA.  It's really not a big deal.  The borders, sea access and farmland would be an issue.  You got me there.  But I bet we could easily get cheap, lead-tainted food and sea access from China.  And if not we just tell the Japanese it can't be done and they'll plop a new sea access on the president's desk in a week.  As for the midwest being the same, maybe to an extent, but not entirely, and mostly not as bad.  And we might be able to afford those more expensive cars if the minimum wage were to go up to more than about 30K a year for a family with TWO full-time workers, which could more easily be done with the most staunchly conservative states gone.

So, yeah, a lot of this is pure speculation, he said/she said.  The reality probably lies in the middle.  I was not actually saying we should literally get rid of the south though.  It was more a...utopian daydream.  And you are right, Chris Christie is a piece of shit, elected in a state where people call themselves stupid things like "Snookie" and "The Situation".  Not exactly the brightest bulbs on the old tree, even if you only count the ones that don't actually light up.  But boy would we get rid of a whole lot of negative energy and raise the collective IQ of the nation if we could get rid of the south.  We'd get rid of Ted Cruz.  I'd pay more for gas to do that.  Hell, I'd be willing to go back to horses to get that done, though if we also lost TP in the process I'm a lot less sure.
This sentence is a lie...