Do Christains Deserve Any Credit for good actions?

Started by dtq123, July 03, 2015, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

Just a simple question with a simple answer; Yes.

After looking at things like this:
http://www.worldvision.org/sponsorship/how-sponsorship-works

I am reminded that the majority of Christians want to be "good" in the respect that they are perceived to be benevolent towards other people. And they do go out of their way to be helpful... some of the better ones at least. We can all immediately see their selfishness of their actions, but why do we focus on that? "Religion is the opiate of the masses" Marx once said, but who's to say Opium is all bad? Opium is a way of coping with the world's harsh nature, and Religion is the same. It may not be healthy, or sane, but we should give respect to philanthropic actions of Christians...When they happen...Even when it's satire (Now's your cue Mom!):grin:

We should devote a post occasionally on what religion has done that's actually good, and recognize that the same goodness is going to be released when they convert.

I shall now reflect on my actions and cower in fear as your ridicule my post today.

Edit: I have the weirdest case of Deja vu right now, anyone know where it's coming from? XD
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Munch

if anyone does something good, like help someone in need, save someone from a bad accident or worse, gives money to an actual working charity, or just helps people in general, then yes, whatever they believe, they have good in them.
The buck stops when they begin to talk about how their goodness comes from god and his will is what makes them that way, I wouldn't tell them they are wrong given they've done some good, but if they were to push it as use it as substance to try and push others into believing in god, then it stops being about just doing good by your fellow mankind, and becomes a recruitment drive.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

dtq123

Quote from: Munch on July 03, 2015, 05:53:41 PM
The buck stops when they begin to talk about how their goodness comes from god and his will is what makes them that way, I wouldn't tell them they are wrong given they've done some good, but if they were to push it as use it as substance to try and push others into believing in god, then it stops being about just doing good by your fellow mankind, and becomes a recruitment drive.

I see, so it's the ads that make them suck, should have known. :doh:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Termin

Anyone who does something good , deserves any credit that comes along with it.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Munch

If i tripped up or slipped over, like I once did on an icey path, and someone came along and helped me up, I'd be very thankful. It they then poked a flyer in my face saying "God helps all of his children" I'd take the flyer, rip it in two, and say "thanks, but gods not my dad, my dads dead"

AllPurposeAtheist

I dunno. I spent almost 2 years in homeless shelters run by the pious and received plenty of help despite the fact that they knew damned good and well that I am an atheist and not in the least bit interested in the crap they were peddling. .
Plenty offered to pray for me and I never let them down.  Knock yourself out taking to the floor on my behalf. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Munch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 03, 2015, 07:04:23 PM
I dunno. I spent almost 2 years in homeless shelters run by the pious and received plenty of help despite the fact that they knew damned good and well that I am an atheist and not in the least bit interested in the crap they were peddling. .
Plenty offered to pray for me and I never let them down.  Knock yourself out taking to the floor on my behalf. .

yeah, and Christians or whatever faith who respect you as an atheist enough not to bother to with their beliefs, I consider that a kindness onto itself, which would prove to me they are just decent people.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh great floor and sometimes ceiling  may you give me guidance and strength to carry on. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

dtq, if that organization does what it says it does, then it is a very good thing.  I have not looked into the matter, but that organization could be like another Red Cross--looking good on the outside, but being rotten on the inside.  But at face value that looks to be an excellent organization doing a wonderful thing.  Being christian is beside the point. 

I'd further say that the vast majority of christians are good people.  People who want to do good and only good.  What makes that movement so dangerous is the hierarchy--the leaders are what make them dangerous.  The fact that that leadership can condone anything it wants to by using the babble and stringing verses together for the good of the hierarchy. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

It's the result that matters.

I'm not an utility pundit though.

trdsf

Depends on their reasons for doing it.  There are plenty of just plain decent people who just do the right thing, for whatever reason, and that's great, without qualification.  A lot of people who work in my office do so because they feel genuinely called to do social service for religious reasons, and they do it in a non-religious way with the clients.  I started doing it because it was an available job, and it's become a way for me to help those who need it, and I don't do it in an anti-religious way.

It's when things happen like a few years ago when Washington DC city government moved to allow equal marriage, and the local Catholic diocese threatened to end all homeless services -- for which they were being paid by the city -- if they did.  To their credit, the city told the church to get stuffed and found other service providers.  But it's fair to ask, what were they really doing city services for?  To do the good work, or to have something in hand with which to try to blackmail the city into following their dogma rather than civil law?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Munch - my dad is gone now for 30 years this month.  I was grateful that people he knew came to his funeral and wake ... even though he was an atheist.  I never held his position against him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

TomFoolery

I think the world needs more good acts and I for one try not to focus too much on the motivation behind them.

When I was in the Army I had a few people tell me I wasn't the same caliber of soldier as they were because I openly admitted to joining for the college money and a steady paycheck, whereas they obviously joined for duty and love of country and blah blah blah. Yet at the end of the month, they collected a paycheck too just the same way I did, so it wasn't only patriotism that made them want to serve.

As far as life goes, we're all in this shit together. Whether we do good things because of a belief in God, or money, or attention or any of it, it still beats doing shitty things. I for one subscribe to the theory that all altruism is selfish anyway. If God motivates a person to kindness, they're doing it because they want to go to Heaven. Even something done with no strings attached often serves as a novel way of making someone feel better about themselves, and is in its own way selfish.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

For some reason, it makes me think of Christopher Hitchens' book, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.  When I first read that title, my reaction was that there is a danger when anyone makes a claim that includes the word "everything".  I would have avoided making such a claim myself, but after reading Hitchens, he does make a good case.  I've pondered this trying to shoot a hole in his claim, and I really can't.  Sure, religious people do some good things, just like a woman who poisons her spouse to get rid of him, probably does some good things too.

The question asks if I should give religion a pat on the back?  Does any religion warrant praise for being a good religion?  I don't think so.  But the main issue for me is that no religion lives up the praise it heaps on itself.  And that praise is the most grandiose praise one can make:  "We represent the truth and the light, the love, and the salvation.  We have the answers you need."

Asking if Christians deserve any credit, I'd say no.  People deserve credit, sometimes... for some things, but religion poisons things.  It makes the question seem irrelevant to me, but this is a thought I'm not sure of.  It's pretty sweeping to say that, but it's pretty sweeping to say religion does more good than harm too.

I know plenty of Christians I like, but I would never give Christianity the credit for the good in those people.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on July 04, 2015, 08:01:36 AM
For some reason, it makes me think of Christopher Hitchens' book, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.  When I first read that title, my reaction was that there is a danger when anyone makes a claim that includes the word "everything".  I would have avoided making such a claim myself, but after reading Hitchens, he does make a good case.  I've pondered this trying to shoot a hole in his claim, and I really can't.  Sure, religious people do some good things, just like a woman who poisons her spouse to get rid of him, probably does some good things too.

The question asks if I should give religion a pat on the back?  Does any religion warrant praise for being a good religion?  I don't think so.  But the main issue for me is that no religion lives up the praise it heaps on itself.  And that praise is the most grandiose praise one can make:  "We represent the truth and the light, the love, and the salvation.  We have the answers you need."

Asking if Christians deserve any credit, I'd say no.  People deserve credit, sometimes... for some things, but religion poisons things.  It makes the question seem irrelevant to me, but this is a thought I'm not sure of.  It's pretty sweeping to say that, but it's pretty sweeping to say religion does more good than harm too.

I know plenty of Christians I like, but I would never give Christianity the credit for the good in those people.
Now that you mention it, SGOS. I tend to think the same way as you.  That there are plenty of good people going to churches, but they are good despite their christian beliefs.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?