Google achieves artificial stupidity?

Started by Baruch, July 03, 2015, 07:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Strong AI or Weak AI?  Weak AI ... if we drop the conceit of intelligence, which most people don't deserve .. is possible.  Programs can be self modifying on the basis of data input, which can be environmental not formal.  Though you have to be careful not to get into a loop.  Society is a machine that takes in raw inputs and produces varying outputs for self perpetuation ... but there is "man in the loop".  Strong AI implies independent sentience (not sentience borrowed from a sentient programmer, assuming those exist) ... and I am unconvinced that is even possible.  There is a difference between simulation and emulation.  The usual way to emulate neural circuits is to make a baby the traditional way ;-)  I was a member of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence back in the 80s, but it had turned into a scam by that time (as related at the start of the thread).  I am still interested in a "sand box" for self modifying code ... but will have to play with that after retirement if at all ... today programs like that are called computer viruses ... hence the need for a "sand box".  The original worm program of 1988, was supposed to be a safe self propagating code experiment, that ended badly.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Given your skepticism of cognitive neuroscience, I really shouldn't find your skepticism of strong AI that surprising. The development of strong AI is probably going to closely parallel that of cognitive neuroscience because in a way they're after the same thing: building a model of intelligence. The development of both strong AI and understanding of our own intelligence will be slow and incremental.

I doubt that ELIZA really ever fooled anybody into thinking it's a real person/intelligence. People attached to it because sometimes they just need something responsive to vent at, even if that something won't remember what they'd said just seconds before, even if what they're holding conversation with is a simulacrum of a deity â€" there's a reason why it's called "the talking cure." Hell, it doesn't even have to have even the pretense of a responsive individual to help. I can personally attest to the therepeutic value of bitching out my car when it breaks down.

The progress is slow, but progressive. Deep Blue beat us at chess. Watson beat us at Jeopardy. Bastions of human superiority will fall one by one until, someday, we unite all these together into a something that beats us in every way. It will either be an exhilarating time, or a nightmarish one.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2015, 11:59:46 PM
Strong AI or Weak AI?  Weak AI ... if we drop the conceit of intelligence, which most people don't deserve .. is possible.  Programs can be self modifying on the basis of data input, which can be environmental not formal.  Though you have to be careful not to get into a loop.  Society is a machine that takes in raw inputs and produces varying outputs for self perpetuation ... but there is "man in the loop".  Strong AI implies independent sentience (not sentience borrowed from a sentient programmer, assuming those exist) ... and I am unconvinced that is even possible.  There is a difference between simulation and emulation.  The usual way to emulate neural circuits is to make a baby the traditional way ;-)  I was a member of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence back in the 80s, but it had turned into a scam by that time (as related at the start of the thread).  I am still interested in a "sand box" for self modifying code ... but will have to play with that after retirement if at all ... today programs like that are called computer viruses ... hence the need for a "sand box".  The original worm program of 1988, was supposed to be a safe self propagating code experiment, that ended badly.
Are Strong AI / Weak AI in any way analagous to Macroevolution / Microevolution? I recall you didn't seem to understand what is wrong with the latter terms.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Baruch

Peacewithoutgod ... well at least you are thinking analogically (comparing one kind of thing to different kind of thing, and deriving the similarities and differences).  No, Strong AI means ... that any kind of machine, electronic or mechanical (Babbage) that can play checkers, is intelligent as in conscious and alive.  Biology is just one kind of machine, like any other ... not implied vitalism.  Weak AI means ... that some kinds of machines can simulate intelligence ... but are not conscious and not alive.  It is not necessary to emulate a human, to play chess ... it is enough to simulate a human.  Of course it is possible, using a biological system (a chimp) to emulate a human, because a biological system is the superclass a human belongs to.  But a steam powered calculator is not ... it is in a different superclass ... as is an electronic device (a third superclass).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.