News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Problem Solving Demonstration

Started by TomFoolery, July 02, 2015, 06:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/03/upshot/a-quick-puzzle-to-test-your-problem-solving.html?_r=1&abt=0002&abg=1

QuoteA short game sheds light on government policy, corporate America and why no one likes to be wrong.

Here’s how it works:

We’ve chosen a rule that some sequences of three numbers obey â€" and some do not. Your job is to guess what the rule is.

Yes, there's elementary school level math involved, and it's one problem, but I was quite surprised by my answer.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Sal1981

Well, I failed. And I failed so spectacularly that I fell into to the trap described. Although I only did 2 checks :/

Should've tried deviations to check for exponent, logarithm and so on which would eliminate easier function calls.

kilodelta

Ha! Good find. I felt that my two guesses were enough to identify the rule. Though I was correct, it nailed me on confirmation bias... that's what she said...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

TomFoolery

I failed too. I try to console myself by saying I checked three sets of numbers to verify my point, but failing is failing.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Termin

I got the number sequences right, but not the reason, I thought is was exponents
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

trdsf

I am happy to say I got it -- I fell into their 9%  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

Said yes to 2 sequence checks, but didn't tell anything to me as 'no' or 'yes' after I typed "Sequence goes on with multiplying by two".
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

doorknob

LOL I like it!

I heard one no. But I did guess the answer correctly.

Atheon

But in math, the word "sequence" implies that subsequent numbers are specific (even if not calculable by known methods).
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

doorknob

what we really should compare is how many sequences you checked before answering.

I bet a lot of people got one yes and then answered.

I typed in 13 different sequences before I answered.

dtq123

Quote from: doorknob on July 14, 2015, 06:19:53 PM
What we really should compare is how many sequences you checked before answering.
I got about 20 sequences before making my conclusion. I had about 5 no's.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

trdsf

Quote from: doorknob on July 14, 2015, 06:19:53 PM
what we really should compare is how many sequences you checked before answering.

I bet a lot of people got one yes and then answered.

I typed in 13 different sequences before I answered.
I didn't keep count, but it was in the range of 15-20.  I was far more interested in the Nos than in the Yeses; they tell you more, sometimes.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Atheon on July 10, 2015, 10:38:30 PM
But in math, the word "sequence" implies that subsequent numbers are specific (even if not calculable by known methods).

Yeah, that's a good point.

May be I didn't blow it, just because I used the specific word?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp