PC University try to censor former Muslim woman for criticizing religion

Started by Ace101, July 02, 2015, 02:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

http://clashdaily.com/2015/03/islam-is-not-a-religion-of-peace-ex-muslim-woman-now-an-atheist-says-what-obama-wont-about-islam/

This woman left Islam after barely escaping female mutilation and an arranged marriage. She says Islam is definitely not what the PC folks claim it is.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali talked about reforming Islam on ABC’s This Week today, saying that it is “not a religion of peace” and Muslims need to get rid of the horrible, violent followers of the faith.
She spoke of a “huge group of Muslims” that are peace-loving who need to be more open to reform.
…
Hirsi Ali, a former Muslim herself, left the faith and has become one of its biggest critics, to the point where Brandeis University backed away from giving her an honorary degree after people protested her views on Islam.

This is a perfect example of why political correctness is dangerous - this woman was being censored by SWJs in the West for criticizing its brutality toward women. Most likely their minds immediately went to "racism".

I have a feeling if she had been abused in a fundamentalist Christian cult, the reactions would've been different.

Baruch

While I find some of her points to be questionably ideological (because of her personal history, she is not neutral) ... and that might be part of the counter-reaction ... I do think that it is true, that to simply assume that a huge block of people are "enemy" is a very questionable POV as well.  It might miss a little, to treat people in those circumstances as individuals, but I think it is the only practical approach.  Otherwise we are just contending ideological blocks trying to kill each other.  Certainly Islamic fundamentalists are enemy, whether individually or collectively ... just as Black gang-bangers are enemy ... but would or should people object if that reasonable view were extended to everyone of a certain ancestry or skin color?  I would hope not.  Also at least in the US, much anti-Islamic POV is tied up with anti-Black POV, since most Muslims are seen as non-White.  Ms Ali is clearly non-White also ... and that too could be an unfair objection to her.  We need more neutral, non-ideological folks of indeterminate color and politics ... to tell us how it is ;-)  Otherwise the speaker or the audience might be suspected of bias.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

While I have agreed with most of her quotes I have seen, she does seem a little too broad generalization for my tastes. Her interview on the Daily Show was particularly... unimpressive.

Also, the article never said anything about her being censored, so I am a bit confused about that. And I find it a bit sketchy coming from a site that spammed me with, "Is Obama the worst president, who has irreparably destroyed race relations in the USA?"... click yes, and spam your facebook feed with this opinion!".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Any article with a kind of title that 'Islam is not a religion of peace' sounds so trivial to me, I really don't feel like go on. Really? Wow. Which one is?

Don't say buddhism, I'll hit you. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 02, 2015, 11:37:03 AM
Any article with a kind of title that 'Islam is not a religion of peace' sounds so trivial to me, I really don't feel like go on. Really? Wow. Which one is?

Don't say buddhism, I'll hit you. 

Quote from: Shiranu on July 02, 2015, 11:49:40 AM
Jainism.

I think it was Sam Harris who said that, for Jains, it is the only religion where, when its adherents become more extremist, they become even more peaceful.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on July 02, 2015, 11:49:40 AM
Jainism.

Really? Would you like me to dig the human rights reports on India? Women and children? I don't think we need that. Or comparing the human rights violations between islamist communities and jain communities?

Jainism is a 'peaceful' religion if you are a westerner parcticing it in the safety of a western country, along with your already established rights. Defining these religions -they all share traits- as 'better' ones is saying something about Abrahamic religions, not about them. Or how their societies live.

That's why they are appealing to most people, nonbeliever or not. They are seen in the contrast of Abrahamic religions which are supposedly at 'war' with each other and as there is a certain defined 'evil', nobody cares what is going on in the country of origin of these beliefs or what is going on where its largest community lies. It's pretty ugly.

As long as there is a belief system, result would be the same. Because nobody actually believes in anything. Result is the same.

That's why I think there is no such thing as a benign religion, let alone a peaceful one. Oxymoron.

Sorry, shir. My personal opinions on those religions are that 'same bullshit different verse'. Result is the same.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 02, 2015, 11:54:50 AM
I think it was Sam Harris who said that, for Jains, it is the only religion where, when its adherents become more extremist, they become even more peaceful.

What a dumb thing to say. Another way of saying that humans can exist out of human reality.

At least Abrahamic bullshit reflects their creators somewhat honestly in a twisted realistic way.

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 02, 2015, 12:16:05 PM
Really? Would you like me to dig the human rights reports on India? Women and children? I don't think we need that. Or comparing the human rights violations between islamist communities and jain communities?

Jainism is a 'peaceful' religion if you are a westerner parcticing it in the safety of a western country, along with your already established rights. Defining these religions -they all share traits- as 'better' ones is saying something about Abrahamic religions, not about them. Or how their societies live.

That's why they are appealing to most people, nonbeliever or not. They are seen in the contrast of Abrahamic religions which are supposedly at 'war' with each other and as there is a certain defined 'evil', nobody cares what is going on in the country of origin of these beliefs or what is going on where its largest community lies. It's pretty ugly.

As long as there is a belief system, result would be the same. Because nobody actually believes in anything. Result is the same.

That's why I think there is no such thing as a benign religion, let alone a peaceful one. Oxymoron.

Sorry, shir. My personal opinions on those religions are that 'same bullshit different verse'. Result is the same.

Sorry, I was just pulling a religion from the same general area since you said not to say Buddhism :P.

I'll go with Shinto then :P.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on July 02, 2015, 12:28:10 PM
Sorry, I was just pulling a religion from the same general area since you said not to say Buddhism :P.

:lol:

Sal1981

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 02, 2015, 12:20:16 PM
What a dumb thing to say. Another way of saying that humans can exist out of human reality.

At least Abrahamic bullshit reflects their creators somewhat honestly in a twisted realistic way.
I honestly don't know all that much about Jainism and its practices other than a basic wiki definition of it, and it does to me seem rather peaceful in its tenets. Of course, being a religion, it most likely has a warped view of reality, but religions are different from another in how their warped reality is portrayed.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 02, 2015, 02:16:35 PM
I honestly don't know all that much about Jainism and its practices other than a basic wiki definition of it, and it does to me seem rather peaceful in its tenets. Of course, being a religion, it most likely has a warped view of reality, but religions are different from another in how their warped reality is portrayed.

If Abrahamic religions were wiped out and they were the only ones left to rule, they would evolve very differently in a short time.

But then when something has a warped view of reality, it always end up the same. Same difference.

Sal1981

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 02, 2015, 03:06:47 PM
But then when something has a warped view of reality, it always end up the same. Same difference.
What? How?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on July 02, 2015, 12:28:10 PM

Weren't the Japanese in WWII Shinto?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 02, 2015, 10:53:28 PM
Weren't the Japanese in WWII Shinto?

Most Japanese are Shinto, to an extent. But before Shinto was their emperor worship. I would say the Japanese of WW2 were Hirohitoists rather than Shinto ( like Russians were Stalinists rather than actual communists, or north Koreans kimists rather than Buddhists and atheists).