What Does It Even Mean to Exist Forever?

Started by mikecool70, March 11, 2013, 02:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Alias"English is not my main language.
It is not a good idea to discuss complex topics in a language that you lack proficiency in.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Alias

This atheist belief of ceasing to exist should not be preached like theists preach about God.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Alias"This atheist belief of ceasing to exist should not be preached like theists preach about God though one can not know.
Why not? We can make a good case for cessation of existence. There is no case to be made for the afterlife.

Solitary

Quote from: "Alias"This atheist belief of ceasing to exist should not be preached like theists preach about God though one can not know.

Not true at all! When you are unconscious you don't exist as a personality, and if you died then it is logical to assume you would not become conscious again and exist without brain function. If God did indeed exist after 6,000 years of recorded history and thousands of gods that are now considered myths because there is no reliable evidence they did accept as stories, it is also logical to assume God doesn't exist either for the same reasons and is a myth. If one cannot not know if God exist, then why is it assumed He does without any reliable evidence?  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Alias

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Why not? We can make a good case for cessation of existence. There is no case to be made for the afterlife.

If you believe that you are body and mind then you are right.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Alias"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"

If you believe that you are body and mind then you are right.
Well, I'm glad we can agree on that at least.

Alias

Quote from: "Solitary"

Not true at all! When you are unconscious you don't exist as a personality, and if you died then it is logical to assume you would not become conscious again and exist without brain function. If God did indeed exist after 6,000 years of recorded history and thousands of gods that are now considered myths because there is no reliable evidence they did accept as stories, it is also logical to assume God doesn't exist either for the same reasons and is a myth. If one cannot not know if God exist, then why is it assumed He does without any reliable evidence?  :roll:  Solitary

Do you see a God now, if no then there is no god, if yes let us know.
Do you see your self as body and mind, if no then stay as you are, if yes then you will die.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Plu"Haha. Cute. It doesn't even use proper grammar or punctuation, let alone precise language. It's one big ball of metaphores.

English is not my main language.
Listen to Radiohead //http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8
You do it to yourself, you do
And that's what really hurts
Is that you do it to yourself
Just you, you and no one else.

If English isn't your main language you should be aiming to cut out the verbose irrelevancies to the highest degree possible. I admire people who go onto foreign language forums and attempt to contribute, but passing off your own inadequacies in the proficiency of the language as others simply 'refusing to see' your point is ludicrous and quite pathetic. It is nothing but a tactic to obscure and sleight of hand the respondent. Bad form, sir.

Otherwise speak language across comes garbled confused points lost through translation yes!
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Colanth

There is no "atheist belief".  Atheism is LACK of one specific belief - that of gods.  An atheist can believe in life after death as long as no god is involved.

QuoteIf you believe that you are body and mind then you are right.
And if you don't, you're not too securely attached to reality.  (Or don't you understand the difference between "believe" and "accept the fact"?)

1) Living forever means surviving the heat death of the universe - which is not possible, by definition.  If you exist as disembodied atoms, incapable of anything, it's not "existence" as we understand the word.  (And if it's anything more than that, the universe hasn't reached maximum entropy yet.)

2) Burning in hell, after you have no body, is meaningless.  "Burning" means rapid oxidation.  If you have no corporeal existence, exactly what is it that's oxidizing?  An incorporeal "soul" (the word is a misunderstanding of Latin, it has no actual meaning) can't combine chemically with oxygen, so it can't "burn".  And if you have no corporeal nerves, you can't experience pain.  The whole concept is the imaginings of scientifically illiterate goat herders, and the scientifically illiterate people who believe those imaginings.

Stop acting as if you're far superior to the rest of us - you're not.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Alias

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"
Quote from: "Plu"Haha. Cute. It doesn't even use proper grammar or punctuation, let alone precise language. It's one big ball of metaphores.

English is not my main language.

If English isn't your main language you should be aiming to cut out the verbose irrelevancies to the highest degree possible. I admire people who go onto foreign language forums and attempt to contribute, but passing off your own inadequacies in the proficiency of the language as others simply 'refusing to see' your point is ludicrous and quite pathetic. It is nothing but a tactic to obscure and sleight of hand the respondent. Bad form, sir.

Otherwise speak language across comes garbled confused points lost through translation yes!

Your point is ludicrous and quite pathetic.

Alias

Quote from: "Colanth"
There is no "atheist belief".  Atheism is LACK of one specific belief - that of gods.  An atheist can believe in life after death as long as no god is involved..

True.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"
Quote from: "Alias"English is not my main language.

But understand least yes did you?

You learn-ding!

If you think speaking clearly and precisely is pathetic, then I suggest you go back to school son. It's the basis of communicating clearly ones thoughts to others who otherwise would remain ignorant to ones opinion.

Of course, unless you're like a drug addict who just refuses to understand. You know, like Plu? He's fucking off his head on coke, I'd stay away.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Colanth

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"If English isn't your main language you should be aiming to cut out the verbose irrelevancies to the highest degree possible. I admire people who go onto foreign language forums and attempt to contribute, but passing off your own inadequacies in the proficiency of the language as others simply 'refusing to see' your point is ludicrous and quite pathetic. It is nothing but a tactic to obscure and sleight of hand the respondent. Bad form, sir.

People whose first language is English get his point, and think he's quite correct, so your comment must merely be due to your lack of ability to understand English.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

aitm

The concept of forever is lost on the average mind. Humans can barely grasp one hundred years. To them forever is probably 234 years.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

I am sure if we asked Old Seer what the babble meant by forever it would be an interesting response like, "the distance between a monkey and a frog in other parts of the world but only in eons instead of meters".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust