Author Topic: Rate the latest movie you've seen.  (Read 145552 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: Rate the latest movie you've seen.
« Reply #2655 on: January 04, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
Yuck ... M Night Shyamalan meets Freddy Kruger?  I think the husband is Damien Part 666 meets Bates Motel.
Maybe a little different.  There is no Freddy Kruger type supernatural entity.  Evil perhaps, but not driven singularly by the need to be evil.  Supernatural things may occur, but only as unexplainable events.  Alternately, the unexplainable events may be perceptions from the mind of a schizophrenic, although whether any particular character is schizophrenic is not directly suggested in the story.  As the film progresses, it becomes strangely dreamlike.  Perhaps that's why I could identify with it, I may have had a dream very much like the movie.  Or it may be some social situation as it would be perceived on a bad LSD trip.  Yeah, dream or a bad trip; That may have been what the director was trying to create.

Any movie that creates (or demands) this much analytical thought is usually a movie I will rate very high.  I can understand many people would find that sort of response to be tedious, but I tend to get involved in that sort of shit.  It used to mildly annoy my ex.

« Reply #2656 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
Stories told by sequential artwork.  Probably the second oldest form of storytelling, after oral.
Yeah, very cavemanish.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Shiranu

« Reply #2657 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
Just started the series Black Mirror (3 episodes a season, hour long each, stand-alone episodes, a British Netflix series.

It's... interesting. I don't really know how to describe it, but the first episode is basically examining terrorism and hostage taking by your stereotypical youtube commentor or 4chan idiot. It actually seems to be a very poignant reflection on internet culture and apparently the entire series is much the same... examining the effects of technological society in a very distopian or unsettling way.
"When glass breaks it is possible to put the pieces back together, but a heart once broken cannot be pieced together again. The suffering of man is immense, and only in love can relief be found from that suffering."  -
Allahi Allah, traditional Pakistani folk song

Offline Draconic Aiur

« Reply #2658 on: January 13, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
King really is a good writer.  But not like a Michener--every book he wrote is excellent.  With King that's not so, for me.  But his style is always good--great character development.  I either seem to love or to hate his books.  The Stand I loved, for example.  Delores Claiborne was brilliant.  Cujo, Pet Cemetery and Misery I hated.  But even in the hated books, the writing was very good.  I read the first Dark Tower book and could make neither heads nor tails of it--just confused.  But the writing was good.  And his books like the Cell seems to be just part of a book--loved it, but it sort of ended in mid story.  Anyway, the moves based on his books are all okay--none are really outstanding for me.

Watched it just now Id say 7/10 besides the shitty review it got. I read gunslinger and it was not as awesome as the movie. The only thing the movie needed was an R rating and more details but man King did a good job(also to make it less depressing).

« Reply #2659 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »
In the Last Person to Post Wins thread, there has been a lot of talk about The Last Jedi.  So I figured I'd take the conversation over here so we can discuss it properly.

This has been a very polarizing film.  Lots of rave reviews and also quite a bit of very negative reviews.  Part of the reason for this is probably the fact that it's the first Star Wars sequel to go off in a new direction.  A lot of people liked that new direction and a lot of people weren't happy with it.

Personally, I'm pretty mixed.  I didn't love the film but I didn't really hate it either.  It had its great moments and it had a lot of missed opportunities.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:07:19 AM by Hydra009 »

« Reply #2660 on: January 15, 2018, 09:37:46 PM »
And so I don't come off as too much of a Debbie downer, here's some positive stuff about The Last Jedi.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.