Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "rickcopeland648"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Hobbit.
Family bought it for me as a gift since I loved Lord of the Rings.

erm..........  count me a little disappointed in Hobbit.  Not sure why.

Perhaps because it's mostly set-up. The Rick Copeland has noticed many who thought "The Hobbit" was dull didn't care for the extended versions of the LotR movies either...

Watched it at home and fairly certain I must have fallen asleep on and off during the movie.  Eegads - that's saying a lot for me.  I'm a lover of LOTR.  LOL
Dunno......Hobbit seemed too predictable, too easy,  and kinda dragged along.....   Insert darkness wish to take over middle earth, hobbit and company flee protected by sometimes ineffective wizard (?) WTF is that?  So.....*yawn* yeah
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

rickcopeland648

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Hobbit seemed too predictable, too easy,  and kinda dragged along.....  

Right, but keep in mind the source material is closer to a kids/ young adult audience and format...

As far as prdictable goes.... You'll be shocked to find out Bilbo kills Smaug...
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

"Syphilis is the algebra of infection."

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "rickcopeland648"Right, but keep in mind the source material is closer to a kids/ young adult audience and format...

As far as prdictable goes.... You'll be shocked to find out Bilbo kills Smaug...

Maybe I was asleep?  I honestly have to watch it again.  I wish it wasn't 3 hours long.  Afraid I'll fall asleep again.

SGOS

It's hard for me to take hobbits seriously if they aren't in old time Disney cartoon format.  I don't know how live actors can be expected to look like Tolkien characters.  Gollum is a wonderful character, and the movie did him pretty well, but I imagined a much more revolting and creepy character in the book.  I can't remember ever once thinking he might be loveable like he is in the movie.

I'm not one of those intellectual highbrows that continually says, "The book was better than the movie,"  But every Hobbit and Trilogy movie I've seen falls short of my expectations.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
It's hard for me to take hobbits seriously if they aren't in old time Disney cartoon format.  I don't know how live actors can be expected to look like Tolkien characters.  Gollum is a wonderful character, and the movie did him pretty well, but I imagined a much more revolting and creepy character in the book.  I can't remember ever once thinking he might be loveable like he is in the movie.

I'm not one of those intellectual highbrows that continually says, "The book was better than the movie,"  But every Hobbit and Trilogy movie I've seen falls short of my expectations.

Might be my problem.  But if OUR imaginations are better than what Hollywood can provide - they should hire us.  LOL

SGOS

Searching for Sugarman  10/10

Ordinarily, I wouldn't rent a documentary from Netflix, and they had this film on a long wait or maybe listed it but didn't have it, but my sister pressed me to rent this.  I was finally able to rent it from Blockbuster on line.  It's a low production value film, perhaps made by amatures, but with an absolutely wonderful story.  It's about a little known guitar player/song writer named Sixto Rodriguez from Detroit, Michigan, who during the 60s and 70s, was signed on by a record company that thought he would be the next Bob Dillon, but for some unexplainable reason, neither of his two albums went anywhere so they dropped him, and he fell into obscurity (but not quite).  For some reason, even though he never knew it, he achieved a notoriety in South Africa on par with the Beatles.

Nothing was known about him.  It was said that he committed suicide on stage during a performance, but there were no news clips about his life and only two pictures of him on his record jackets.  A South African journalist spends years trying to find out more information about who he was, but keeps encountering dead ends until he manages to locate one of his daughters.  Now, I'm not going to give away the good parts.  If you like blues and folk music, just see if you can find the film.  Blockbuster has it, and they have a free one month trial, so you can cancel before the month is up, and get some free films besides.  

The movie is laced with his songs, often as a kind of background for the commentary, but there is much much more to the story, which I thought was nothing short of stunning and heart warming.

It starts out as just a normal documentary.  Some guys who had heard him once or twice at some Detroit bar do the usual and rather ordinary interviews at the beginning.  It's bla bla ba about how good he was, and I'm thinking this is going to be another boring documentary about some nobody, but in deference to my sister, I was committed to watching the whole thing.  The mystery builds and builds to a splendid and inspiring story, with some good music too.

aitm

the wife wanted to watch the last...er......that new age vampire movie thingy....s'okay,, a love scene tween the boy and the girl must wet a few hundred thousand crotches but was pretty mild for a sex scene. She kinda implied that they could simply fuck all the time since they never get tired,, she kinda freaks me out a little. The battle scene was kinda okay...meh.... I give it six beers, cause thats what it took for me to get through it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: "aitm"the wife wanted to watch the last...er......that new age vampire movie thingy....s'okay,, a love scene tween the boy and the girl must wet a few hundred thousand crotches but was pretty mild for a sex scene. She kinda implied that they could simply fuck all the time since they never get tired,, she kinda freaks me out a little. The battle scene was kinda okay...meh.... I give it six beers, cause thats what it took for me to get through it.
I gave up on that series after the second one, so I haven't seen it, but Roger Ebert described that sex scene as the longest awated sex scene in movie history.  Although, he admitted that it wasn't much.

Plu

Quote-Is Frodo a moron? Like, "HEY GUIZ, I HAZ DIS RING, ANYONE WANT IT!?!?!". What about, "This ring will tempt and destroy people" are you having such a fucking hard time understanding?

It doesn't really come across in the movie, but "This ring will tempt and destroy people" is meant to be taken literally. It literally does that. Hence Frodo's occasional dumb-ass moves; it's the ring fucking with his mind.

aitm

zero dark thirty-  yeah, its that good.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"the wife wanted to watch the last...er......that new age vampire movie thingy....s'okay,, a love scene tween the boy and the girl must wet a few hundred thousand crotches but was pretty mild for a sex scene. She kinda implied that they could simply fuck all the time since they never get tired,, she kinda freaks me out a little. The battle scene was kinda okay...meh.... I give it six beers, cause thats what it took for me to get through it.

You mean sparkly Twilight?
If you actually watched it I'm impressed.  Not with the movie but with you for doing that for the wife.

+2 in super hero department

(erm...........cause Twilight sucks.  And I even read all the books.  ::yawn::)

PS that's not sex - that Tween-Pretend-a-vampire-loves-me-sex

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"zero dark thirty-  yeah, its that good.

Now That ^ is a story.

leo

Olympus has fallen . 8/10 very good movie .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Aroura33

Life of Pi - 7/10

Finally got around to watching it since it is on Netflix now.  I almost expected to hate it, considering what I'd heard about the religious PoV of the move, but I think it actually sits the fence pretty well.  

The real story of what happened as he tells it in his hospital bed is heartbreaking.

[spoil:3294rth8]I would think religious folks would have more issues with it, since the moral seemed to be that people should be religious because it's more entertaining than Real Life, not because it's true.  I mean honestly, that totally seemed like the point Pi made.  So yeah, he basically admits that all religions may be made up, but hey, aren't they good stories?? Honestly, the end only vaguely made any sense at all, though.[/spoil:3294rth8]

Anyway, the story WAS entertaining, and the graphics are well done, so I give it a "recommended".
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

gussy

Quote from: "gussy"Oz the Great and Powerful

If you liked The Phantom Menace you might enjoy this too.  They are basically the same film.  Prequels to technological and creative masterpieces that use far too much CGI to make up for their dull story and characters.

In retrospect, it is actually much better than The Phantom Menace (what isn't though).  There is a Jar Jar life debt type character in the film but he is much more agreeable than Jar Jar.  James Franco is what irritates me about the movie.  He needs to go back to doing soap operas.  Oz really needed to be played by a person that could carry a film on his shoulders and James Franco can't do that.  Johnny Depp would have worked and with the money spent to make the movie they should have paid a little more for the central character.