News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: "gussy"Oz the Great and Powerful

If you liked The Phantom Menace you might enjoy this too.

They should put that on the poster.

NitzWalsh

I watched Star Trek First Contact, a 1996 film featuring the Star Trek The Next Generation cast. I've seen it multiple times. Great movie, it's got a lot of Borg(the zombies of Star Trek). I give it 30 stars out of a possible 10.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

the_antithesis

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I watched Star Trek First Contact, a 1996 film featuring the Star Trek The Next Generation cast. I've seen it multiple times. Great movie, it's got a lot of Borg(the zombies of Star Trek). I give it 30 stars out of a possible 10.

Interesting because that was where I gave up on Star Trek. Much like where Phantom Menace was where I gave up on Star Wars.

SGOS

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I watched Star Trek First Contact, a 1996 film featuring the Star Trek The Next Generation cast. I've seen it multiple times. Great movie, it's got a lot of Borg(the zombies of Star Trek). I give it 30 stars out of a possible 10.

Interesting because that was where I gave up on Star Trek. Much like where Phantom Menace was where I gave up on Star Wars.

I never got enough of the Borg, which was probably one of the reasons they seemed so chilling.  They didn't show up that often, and thank God they didn't, or the Enterprise crew would have surely been doomed.  But 30 out of 10???  That would make it the best movie ever, and that fame certainly belongs to Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home.

Hydra009

I think we watched different movies.  

While I do love the Borg, I hated their gradual villain decay from a nigh-unstoppable and unnervingly dispassionate collective to space zombies led by an increasingly laughable queen.  I basically agree with Red Letter Media's assessment of the movie.

I hated the part with Cockrane and the crew's fangasms over him (and really, Geordi, do you not know what "taking a leak" means?)  I also disliked the implication that Future Starfleet set into motion events that led to Starfleet being founded which led to Future Starfleet..oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed.

Then there's the infamous and wildly OOC Tommy Gun incident...

While not as bad as Nemesis or Generations or Insurrection (basically, all the other TNG movies), it was basically the moment that Star Trek jumped the shark.  7 out of 10 for me, and only because of the great action scenes and worthy (though tragically mishandled) villains.

aitm

Watched the new version of Red Dawn....or something like that...meh...okay for an action flick, if you got nothing to do,,rainy or snowy or windy or just cloudy and wet or cloudy and windy or just meh..other than that i loved it....kinda
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Aroura33

Quote from: "Hydra009"

While I do love the Borg, I hated their gradual villain decay from a nigh-unstoppable and unnervingly dispassionate collective to space zombies led by an increasingly laughable queen.  I basically agree with Red Letter Media's assessment of the movie.

I hated the part with Cockrane and the crew's fangasms over him (and really, Geordi, do you not know what "taking a leak" means?)  I also disliked the implication that Future Starfleet set into motion events that led to Starfleet being founded which led to Future Starfleet..oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed.

While not as bad as Nemesis or Generations or Insurrection (basically, all the other TNG movies), it was basically the moment that Star Trek jumped the shark.  7 out of 10 for me, and only because of the great action scenes and worthy (though tragically mishandled) villains.
While I agree it doesn't deserve 30 out of 10 (lol), it is far and away the best TNG film.  
Also, they Jumped the Shark with Generations, so it was already dead and done by the time First Contact came out.  Honestly, it's a miracle it wasn't worse.
I do love and agree with Red Letter Medias review mostly though.  Especially Picard dropping the artifact carelessly at the end of the movie while searching through the debris. Crash!  That did make me laugh pretty hard, I hadn't spotted that one on my own.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Aroura33

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  5/10

Cute, but too long and drawn out.  The first 1/2 hour was very entertaining, after that I had a hard time staying awake or caring what happened.  My daughter, who is like me and generally is glued to animated films, also lost interest.  She stuck with it longer than me, but neither of us really cared about the end much.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Hydra009"

I give them all 30/10.
I actually think Star Trek jumped the shark in the very first episode of TNG when they introduced Wesley Crusher. If it wasn't for him it would be 50/10.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Hydra009"I hated the part with Cockrane and the crew's fangasms over him

That was horrible. Part of the reason why it was horrible is because they show up and just say "We're from the fucking future. A future you're going to help shape by flying that tin can of yours into space. It's very important and shit, but no pressure."

I mean, fuck, yo.

In the episode Who Watches the Watchers they had to go undercover to prevent fucking with a pre warp civilization. I guess it don't matter if that pre warp civilization is their own. I mean, I agree that it gets kind of tedious when they go undercover like that on the planet. But It's kind of like when you watch a slow-moving zombie movie and wonder why they don't just run away from the zombies. Because it's fucking stupid. That's why.

Hydra009

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"I give them all 30/10.
You, my friend, are either the most forgiving critic I have ever met or unclear on the whole critic scores core concept.

1/10 = purge it with fire, assassinate the production staff
2/10 = makes me die a little inside, probably killed the franchise
3/10 = vomit-inducing
4/10 = horrid
5/10 = average
6/10 = okay, but could've been much better
7/10 = pretty good, despite several flaws
8/10 = amazing
9/10 = I want to marry this movie!
10/10 = exceptional quality, this will be a cultural touchstone for generations to come.

Hydra009

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "Hydra009"I hated the part with Cockrane and the crew's fangasms over him

That was horrible. Part of the reason why it was horrible is because they show up and just say "We're from the fucking future. A future you're going to help shape by flying that tin can of yours into space. It's very important and shit, but no pressure."

I mean, fuck, yo.
That and they just fawn over the guy constantly and will not leave him alone.  It's like working with Overly Attached Girlfriend.  *shudders*

caseagainstfaith

I certainly agree First Contact had problems. But, I still found it very enjoyable to watch none-the-less.  I do remember one time seeing a top-ten reasons First Contact sucked.  I can't remember the rest of the 10, but one of them was, "How is it possible the the Borq could know exactly when in time and where in place to attack - and still miss?" LOL.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"I certainly agree First Contact had problems. But, I still found it very enjoyable to watch none-the-less.  I do remember one time seeing a top-ten reasons First Contact sucked.  I can't remember the rest of the 10, but one of them was, "How is it possible the the Borq could know exactly when in time and where in place to attack - and still miss?" LOL.

Well, the where in space was easy since they went to where Earth was in their present and just back in time in that location because planets are exceptionally still.

SGOS

Pathfinders 2/10

WWII paratroopers drop into France the day before "D" Day.  They set up radio signals and ground lights to guide the Allied "something or other" to do "whatever".  I'm not exactly sure what that was, but it must have been something important and dangerous.  

This independent film was produced by someone called the Portland Film Group, which I'd guess must be a group of first year students at a community college in down town Portland, Oregon, who opted for making a movie as a class project, rather than having to write a term paper.

There is so much wrong with this highly uninteresting movie that you ought to watch it just to see how boring it is.  Every last character in the movie is totally forgettable.  They all act the same, without any personality, just human robots carrying out an assignment.  You can't tell one from the other.  If they die, you won't care.  If they succeed, you won't care either.  

The paratroopers are up against highly trained German units specializing in "anti-paratrooper" warfare.  I'm not kidding.  The movie calls them "highly specialized anti-paratrooper units", not that it makes any difference, because the Germans are even dumber than the Americans.  They whistle and sing German marching songs.  They do this with a loud gaiety at the top of their lungs, while they wait in ambush.  So it's no problem for the Americans to locate and kill them.

There's lots of mind boggling heroics by the Americans.  Soldiers sacrifice themselves by throwing themselves on grenades that could have easily been picked up and thrown back at the Germans.  One guy lays on a grenade that takes so long to explode I thought it was a dud.  Finally, it exploded after 10 seconds.  

The Americans play it cagey sneaking around and doing their secret stuff, but sometimes, for no explainable reason, one will rush wildly at the Germans while yelling and firing his rifle.  He might die or not.  You won't care.  You can't even remember which guy he was in the movie anyway.