News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

A Knights Tale.  Again.  Was late night channel flipping and caught this one almost from the beginning.  It is still good and the music is perfect.  Medieval setting and the 'We Will Rock You!' song blaring at a Joust.  Perfect!  It is a feel good story of underdog good guy overcoming evil guy.  Good cast and I love that story line.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

"Harlock, Space Pirate" Way too much CGI. Characters didn't seem ... right ... somehow. Laser beams cool. Only alien built on human template, AGAIN. Japanese humor character, something fun about him. No boobage, so 1/10.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 09, 2021, 07:39:59 AM
What We Do at Shadows. Well, I was told "please, check out the series, now!", lol, so  I've watched the movie first and it is hilarious! Thumps up.
Good!  [hypnosis power] Now you must watch the tv show! [/hypnosis power]

Confession:  I can't actually tell if my hypnosis power works all that well.  I mostly just point a laser pointer at people stuck in traffic while commanding them to be mad and they get pretty mad.  *gunshots*  Okay, that guy I definitely did not do anything to.  He must've had something else going on.

aitm

“Hidden figures” again. Good movie. Good lead into a CRT argument along with the current blitz over “racist” roads and long forgotten “red lining”.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mr.Obvious

Watched live action mulan with the gf.

Absolute garbage.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

The Eternals has some of the old Marvel flair, but lacks a compelling story.  It has great although kind of pointless visuals with lots of shots of one superhero or another standing in an interesting location while he contemplates the meaning of it all, of which there doesn't seem to be much.  It has some creative superpowers, but not much of a point to the whole thing.  I wonder if Marvel has used up all of its creativity with the first phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and this marks the end of a phenomenally great run?  Or is this just the work of Disney after taking over the franchise without the guiding hand of Stan Lee?  How much longer can the franchise dominate the box office on the inertia of its past reputation?

It does have a good rating by movie goers, but I don't understand what that is based on.  The professional critics were not impressed, and I tend to agree with them on this one.  I think Disney needs to pay more attention to finding writers who better understand what made Marvel so magical. The direction seemed OK, but there wasn't much for the director to work with, except for some of the special effects.  I liked some of the actors, but some of the characters were not impressive.  The whole thing reminded me of one of DC Comics lesser offerings.

GSOgymrat

I saw The Eternals in IMAX for free. I showed up at the theater and their ticket system was down so the manager said to sit wherever I liked. I was the only person in the theater. I enjoyed the action on the big screen but the story had major problems. I had no sense these were people who had lived for thousands of years. I've been less forgiving recently by superhero origin stories that make no sense, such as The Eternals, Invincible, and others. It's clear the writers created the heroes and villains first and then tried to come up with a story to explain their motivations.

aitm

Started watching the series “Yellowstone” Question. Are we supposed to like the lead family? Are we supposed to “root” for Costner’s character? Cause they are everything I hate in people….just wondering.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on November 18, 2021, 10:43:58 AM
Started watching the series “Yellowstone” Question. Are we supposed to like the lead family? Are we supposed to “root” for Costner’s character? Cause they are everything I hate in people….just wondering.
I had the same thoughts.  While I do share some of their goals, I don't find them to be very likeable.  But it may be fairly realistic.  Living in Western Montana, I only knew a couple of the East Side Ranchers.  I thought they were nice people, but I had already formed that opinion before I knew they were ranchers.  I don't know what is typical.  Of course, there was that rancher family that captured that national monument, because they thought they should be entitled to that land.  But I don't know if that's typical either.

Gawdzilla Sama

Most important question: Does that one dude still need his bleach in bulk?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 18, 2021, 09:21:49 AMI've been less forgiving recently by superhero origin stories that make no sense, such as The Eternals, Invincible, and others.
WAT.  Not to spoil anything, but the initial story isn't the full story, and it makes more sense as you go along.  Does it make complete sense?  No.  But it doesn't stick out to me as egregiously bad.

QuoteIt's clear the writers created the heroes and villains first and then tried to come up with a story to explain their motivations.
I mean, that sounds pretty typical.  I tend to do that, too - come up with some flashy character first then try to figure out what makes him tick later.  Sometimes, I do it the other way, and come up with a character's personality and goals first, then figure out where life took him/her afterwards.  There are pros/cons to both techniques, imo.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 18, 2021, 10:28:05 PM
WAT.  Not to spoil anything, but the initial story isn't the full story, and it makes more sense as you go along.  Does it make complete sense?  No.  But it doesn't stick out to me as egregiously bad.

I'm one of the few people who didn't like Invincible. I watched the entire season in one sitting, which was probably a mistake. What kept me going wasn't the teen drama but wanting to learn the secret of Omni Man, because even though the entire show is made up of tropes and clichés I thought the secret would be surprising... but it was just another trope.

While Invincible is contrived and does not completely make sense, the explanation for why the Eternals exist makes no sense at all.

BTW, is it ever explained why Atom Eve can't use her power to manipulate matter on the atomic level to turn Omni Man into a potted plant? She is shown rearranging organic matter.

Shiranu

Fun fact ; there are two movies in production with... Questionable... Ips: The hot cheetos movie and Uno the movie.

If those are the best stories you can come up with,  it might be time to move on...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Does it make complete sense?  No.  But it doesn't stick out to me as egregiously bad.
"egregiously bad" is probably a harsher description than I would have used or intended.  A better characterization would be "weak or poor."  But that's just my opinion.

I mean, that sounds pretty typical.  I tend to do that, too - come up with some flashy character first then try to figure out what makes him tick later.  Sometimes, I do it the other way, and come up with a character's personality and goals first, then figure out where life took him/her afterwards.  There are pros/cons to both techniques, imo.
Either way can work or fail.  The overall test is in the final product.  I think what GSO meant was that the characters were fine, but the writers gave them little meaningful purpose.  Well, granted saving the human race would be meaningful, but the human race played very little part in the story.  They were mostly just referred to in the third person, without showing them doing anything that warranted saving.  At the beginning, there were scenes showing the celestials caring for and saving humans from death, and at that point, I was happily feeling I was going to like the movie, but the movie quickly shifted to conflicts between the Eternals.

It did seem to me that the characters dazzling abilities were created first, but little attention was given to the plot besides them displaying their abilities (in some pretty good special effects too), while story development took a back seat.  This is not an uncommon perception for me.  I've often thought if Hollywood can pour that much money into special effects, they can certainly pay for better writing, and those writers are out there too, because their talents show up in films like the Guardians, Ant Man, and the first Ironman.  Others too, and as far as I can tell, those films that didn't do well had weak stories, while the visuals have always been top drawer. 

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on November 19, 2021, 03:39:12 AM
I think what GSO meant was that the characters were fine, but the writers gave them little meaningful purpose.  Well, granted saving the human race would be meaningful, but the human race played very little part in the story.  They were mostly just referred to in the third person, without showing them doing anything that warranted saving.  At the beginning, there were scenes showing the celestials caring for and saving humans from death, and at that point, I was happily feeling I was going to like the movie, but the movie quickly shifted to conflicts between the Eternals.

It did seem to me that the characters dazzling abilities were created first, but little attention was given to the plot besides them displaying their abilities (in some pretty good special effects too), while story development took a back seat.  This is not an uncommon perception for me.  I've often thought if Hollywood can pour that much money into special effects, they can certainly pay for better writing, and those writers are out there too, because their talents show up in films like the Guardians, Ant Man, and the first Ironman.  Others too, and as far as I can tell, those films that didn't do well had weak stories, while the visuals have always been top drawer. 

Agreed.

[spoiler]If the entire purpose of the Eternals is to allow the human population to grow so the baby Celestial can emerge, why wouldn't Druig telepathically make all humans pacifists and obsessed with having as many children as possible, Phastos provide technology to easily make food and shelter while the remaining Externals fend off external threats? The Eternal's non-interference rule violates the entire reason they exist. If producers are going to spend millions making a movie, try choosing a story that at least follows its own internal logic.[/spoiler]