News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqrhWGLUkZ4

I don't usually put much stock in Game Theory theories, since they are frequently wrong. (The point is to have fun, not to find the truth anyway.) But they've picked up on some details in the trailer that I didn't notice, which are very interesting. It looks like The Matrix movies exist within the world of The Matrix. We see it in what appears to be a movie theater. There appears to be a bust of Agent Smith getting punched by Neo, based on the third movie. So if this is the case, this seems to imply that Neo is an actor within this iteration of the Matrix, and the machines are trying to discredit Neo's memories (and maybe the memories of others) by portraying them as fiction.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT0eRBPWgBE

The Matrix is a training ground for machines.  Specifically, to understand humans.  Now, why exactly would that be a priority for the machines?

Two possibilities:
0) humanity was defeated and machines are beginning to take over as the apex species and need to learn from their predecessors (think of it like studying Roman history)
1) The human-machine war is still raging, humanity has not yet been defeated in the real world and the matrix is essentially enhanced interrogation technique, probing humanity's weaknesses and tactics, conventional and unconventional.  Centuries could pass in the matrix within hours in the real world.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

I'm watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters right now. Terrible movie, wuvly monsters. Only looking when they are on though. Not really watching.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 27, 2021, 01:21:51 PM
I'm watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters right now. Terrible movie, wuvly monsters. Only looking when they are on though. Not really watching.
It's the door opener to the new Kaijuverse. They learned from the responses.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Unfortunately "Smokey and the Bandit II" popped up on TV. Someone decided; "what this here movie needs is an elephant". It does have me questioning if the US really is going backwards, LOL. Maybe "sideways" instead....now that was a good flick.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on September 29, 2021, 11:31:59 AM
Unfortunately "Smokey and the Bandit II" popped up on TV. Someone decided; "what this here movie needs is an elephant". It does have me questioning if the US really is going backwards, LOL. Maybe "sideways" instead....now that was a good flick.
I liked Burt Reynolds (from the beginning--Gunsmoke episodes), like Sally Fields and liked Jackie Gleeson.  Stumbled across the first Smokey and the Bandits on late night channel surfing.   Watched it for awhile and began to doubt my sanity--I remember really liking it the first time I saw it.  It was horrid--had to surf on after a bit.  I wonder how many more movies would be like that for me?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

The Vault starring Freddie Highmore is a hold your attention heist film, with smart thieves crafting brilliant strategies, rather than your common street thugs blasting their way in and taking hostages.  Geeks rule!  They're not after all the rare jewels and coins valued in the billions, either, but just a small box of particular items which the questionable owners don't even realize are worth even much much more.  I was glued to the screen the entire time.  9/10

Shiranu

Really excited to see the new Bond movie, other than A Quiet Place 2 it will be the first movie-theatre movie I watch in about 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2L9ulT2BLs
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

The Lost Continent (1951)
I missed it at the theaters when I was 7, but one of the Chicago television stations showed it frequently for the next couple of years.  It was a big topic of conversation with my friends out in the alley were we got together to play.  It was a big deal because these adventurers climbed to the top of a mountain plateau on an undiscovered Pacific Island, and found a prehistoric jungle loaded with dinosaurs. I remember lots of dinosaurs, but there were only 3, a brontosaurs, and two tyrannosaurs, which were used over and over to create the feeling of lots of animals.  They also threw in an ordinary lizard on a rock as a close up so it looked like it may have been big.  And while the rest were fakey stop action puppets like the original King Kong, which we laughed about as kids, they were good enough to be be recognizable.  What I didn't remember was how shamefully fake they actually were.  I also read some critic reviews that trashed the film outright, mostly because it was boring, but also because of it's low budget fake sets.  However, as 10 year olds living in the 1950s, they seemed like wonderful films.

Well, I found the DVD on ebay and it just arrived yesterday.  It was an enjoyable hour and 20 minutes of nostalgia, and I may even watch it again in a few years.  I wouldn't outright recommend it, but if anyone is interested in watching a movie just to see how bad they could be 70 years ago, it's kind of weird fun.

SGOS

Oh, I also read that the movie had the distinction of being shown on Mystery Science Fiction Theater many years later.  I wish I could have seen how those guys trashed the film. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 02, 2021, 07:28:09 AM
Oh, I also read that the movie had the distinction of being shown on Mystery Science Fiction Theater many years later.  I wish I could have seen how those guys trashed the film. 
"And so you shall!" [wavesmagicwand] https://smile.amazon.com/Mystery-Science-Theater-XVIII-Continent/dp/B003CNQPNI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=MST3k+LOST+CONTINENT&qid=1633179010&sr=8-1
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers